• Yes

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • No

Votes: 65 41.1%
  • God I hope so..

Votes: 73 46.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Seriously, I'm calling for a review of Hawthorn's Salary Cap right now.

How does a Premiership team fit in another player? They must be cheating the cap somehow
We are talking about Frawley he is not exactly the number one backman in the competition, in fact he is not even close.

And why should clubs be forced to discard players who are of a certain age and have given the club a certain amount of years service? Just because Melbourne haven't had any players to stay long enough or have been delisted for being a spud before being able to qualify for the veterans list doesn't mean it should go.
Just pay every player what they are worth. If you have more good older players then pay them more. You shouldn't get a discount. A cap is a cap. You get the benefits of having a bunch of experienced high quality players. You shouldn't get a double benefit. Choose between a pay rise for younger players or keeping the older guys.

If we are having free agency that sees 26 year olds walk out in their prime then we should have 30 years olds having their full allowance in the cap.

Veteran's cap for Mitchell Hodge Lewis Burgoyne Gibson Hale and Lake.

The veterans rule only applies to players that have been at the club for 10+ years, as I understand it. An small incentive for players to remain loyal. Nothing against them, but how could Burgoyne, Gibson, Hale and Lake bolting for greener pastures and receiving a bonus for doing so possibly be justified?

My guess is a front/back-loading high wire act personally. Which I think also needs to be tightened up (if it isn't already) to only allow a minimum-maximum yearly salary of something like 80-120% of the mean yearly salary for the life of the contract.

We are talking about Frawley he is not exactly the number one backman in the competition, in fact he is not even close.

Last time this happened we were talking about Tippett he is not exactly the number one forward in the competition, in fact he is not even close

Well the veterans cap has to go and it has to go now. Not phased in or out. Bloody ridiculous that if you have good older players you get to stash salary cap space and buy in younger players. If that means older players sign for less or move clubs then so be it.

Imagine who you could afford if you kept players like D Jolly, S Thompson, A Davey, B Miller, C Silvia, J Rivers, B Moloney who would all be veterans now.

10.071 million for next year.

600k - Roughead, Lewis, Mitchell, Hodge
500k - Frawley, Burgoyne, Gibson, Birchall
400k - Rioli, Gunston, Isaac Smith, Breust, Lake
300k - McEvoy, Hale, Hill, Suckling, Shiels, Stratton
150k - Duryea, Spangher, Puopolo, Ceglar, Langford, Litherland, Schoenmakers, Simpkin

4 * 600 = 2.4
4 * 500 = 2
5 * 400 = 2
6 * 300 = 1.8
8 * 150 = 1.2
26 players for a cost of 9.4 million

To fit the remaining 18 players on the list in they'd have to pay them 33k a piece and that likely includes guys like Hallahan, Woodward, Anderson, Cheney and Whitecross!!! Even if Lake goes it still doesn't free up enough cap to pay the draft scale minimums.

I understand some of these guys are probably taking unders. I also know Sewell will likely retire hence he's not listed here. Someone like Suckline might be traded out.

But surely fans from other teams have to wonder just exactly how Hawthorn get this team in under the cap and sign Frawley?

What am I missing?
You're missing the fact that you have completely made up the salaries of an entire starting 22 and become outraged by it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're missing the fact that you have completely made up the salaries of an entire starting 22 and become outraged by it.

Explain to me Melbournes salary cap

$9.75 million - Nathan Jones.

How do you fit in 39 other players for $250k?

I've made these numbers up but that is nuts.

I would feel a lot more comfortable if the players on at least 300k salaries were published. For that amount of money per year they can live with their salaries being made public.
Maybe but why should rival clubs have that intel and know exactly what to beat to buy?

Seriously, I'm calling for a review of Hawthorn's Salary Cap right now.

How does a Premiership team fit in another player? They must be cheating the cap somehow
Living in Hawthorn is more expensive than Redfern, so they will need COLA

Back