AFL Club
Carlton

BringBackSimmo

(Previously BringBackSOS)
Jul 12, 2002
Sydney
AFL Club
Carlton
This may not be the place to bring this up, also it may have been brought up already... aren't trades, free-agency and the draft meant to bring a greater balance and more evenness to the league? How is Frawley going to the Hawks achieving this, surely that's doing the opposite? Shouldn't free-agents be given/have an incentive to go to lesser, struggling clubs?

Oct 12, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
This may not be the place to bring this up, also it may have been brought up already... aren't trades, free-agency and the draft meant to bring a greater balance and more evenness to the league? How is Frawley going to the Hawks achieving this, surely that's doing the opposite? Shouldn't free-agents be given/have an incentive to go to lesser, struggling clubs?
Hawks have just been smart with list management and timed being on top right when FA is starting and right when the cap space grew before players could up their contracts accordingly.

Will even out over another 4 or so year IMO. I blame the expansion clubs.

It was never going to work out like that.

Hawthorn milking things for all it's worth and if it was us, I'd want to do the same thing.

AFL will need to have a good look at things as the strong clubs are likely to gets stronger whilst the lower clubs had the GC and GWS make a mess of their future to a point.

coryne

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 15, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
So Frawley is going to the Hawks. Does anyone have any idea of what the contract will be like ??? They generally don't pay overs for their players, so there may be hope that the contract isn't large/long enough to become a Band 1 compo pick and we can retain #6 !!!!!!!

ajb72

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
it will be interesting if people still think the same about FA in 5 years time.

If you keep topping up your list with FA's surely there comes a point where you have a lot leaving through retirement or body breaking down. So while you maybe able to keep up the top of the list for longer, it may follow that you then spend longer down the list.

BringBackSimmo

(Previously BringBackSOS)
Jul 12, 2002
Sydney
AFL Club
Carlton
So Frawley is going to the Hawks. Does anyone have any idea of what the contract will be like ??? They generally don't pay overs for their players, so there may be hope that the contract isn't large/long enough to become a Band 1 compo pick and we can retain #6 !!!!!!!

From the Age (July 21st)
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ontract-say-former-demons-20140721-zvee3.html

Frawley is off-contract this season, with his management originally suggesting he was worth about $750,000 a year as part of a new long-term deal. That figure has since been cut but one Victorian club has reportedly now been told Frawley, who turns 26 in September, is after a seven-year contract, two years shy of the whopping deal the Swans have given Lance Franklin.

Lyon said in pure financial terms, Frawley's value would be judged by the strength of the rebuilding Demons' list.

"He is in the $500,000 (a season) category, I would imagine. You would pay a bit over to move him out of there and you might pay a touch over to keep him. But I think that's around the mark," he said.

DaVillaBlues

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Aug 3, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
New England Patriots, Man City
Problem is, pick 3 is too high a pick for Frawley as compo, yet end of first round, is too low. I honestly think a pick in the 10 - 15 range would be the most appropriate compo for Frawley.

Still think the AFL will give them pick 3 though, despite powerbrokers from other clubs like Gregg Swann speaking out against that.

HereComesJuddy

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Problem is, pick 3 is too high a pick for Frawley as compo, yet end of first round, is too low. I honestly think a pick in the 10 - 15 range would be the most appropriate compo for Frawley.

Still think the AFL will give them pick 3 though, despite powerbrokers from other clubs like Gregg Swann speaking out against that.

He's not even in the top 10 paid players at the demons so I think an end of first round is enough

Aug 11, 2008
Carlton
AFL Club
Carlton

The Hawks will do what they usually do: get the player to come out and declare he's accepted less money to be part of the "culture". All BS if you ask me. They now have a vested interested in playing down what they are paying, so as not to arouse public ire (like the Swans have with COLA), and not to upset his new team mates. You cannot bring in a big name player almost every year for 6-7 years, while retaining a stable of stars, without doing something dodgy. Wisdom says that if something seems to good to be true, it usually is.

DaVillaBlues

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Aug 3, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
New England Patriots, Man City

I would be absolutely truly mad if the Bulldogs were able to trade for Reid while we got Jones instead........I want the best @ Carlton!

Did you watch the Grand Final ? Reid was one of the Swans WOGs. Along with Fanta Pants, Jetta and Tippett.

Frankly i think he is vastly overrated and overpaid, he plays about one great game out of 4/5, not a consistently good enough rate for our needs.

Let the Dogs over pay for him, just means we may be able to lure a Stringer or Macrae gun midfield/winger type from them in a couple of years :)

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I would be absolutely truly mad if the Bulldogs were able to trade for Reid while we got Jones instead........I want the best @ Carlton!
Reid would have to be the most over rated player in the comp. In a top side he averages 10 possessions 3 marks and less than a goal a game. Hasn't improved in 4 years (albeit he had some injury issues last season).

Garlick wants more than a third rounder for Jones. Adamant they will fight for the best deal. Nathan Brown suggested to him that they get #27 from us and package it with #26 to get Sam Reid.

That one will go down to the last day by the sounds. I'd rather walk away and pick him up in the PSD.

Nov 14, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
The Hawks will do what they usually do: get the player to come out and declare he's accepted less money to be part of the "culture". All BS if you ask me. They now have a vested interested in playing down what they are paying, so as not to arouse public ire (like the Swans have with COLA), and not to upset his new team mates. You cannot bring in a big name player almost every year for 6-7 years, while retaining a stable of stars, without doing something dodgy. Wisdom says that if something seems to good to be true, it usually is.

It's getting like Real ******* Madrid

Nov 14, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Garlick wants more than a third rounder for Jones. Adamant they will fight for the best deal. Nathan Brown suggested to him that they get #27 from us and package it with #26 to get Sam Reid.

That one will go down to the last day by the sounds. I'd rather walk away and pick him up in the PSD.

They'll take pick 44 and like it.

bludrew79

Team Captain
Sep 15, 2008
Croydon
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Houston Rockets Oakland A's

Heard that as well... think it was quickly shut that down, then someone mentioned they'd (likely) have #27 from Higgins compo...

GordonBlue

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Garlick also wants end of First Rounder for Higgins.

Why are our good proven players have less value that unproven players that have been in the system for a while?

Robbo and Jeffry are good player. I don't want to lose them. Robbo can pick up 30dis on his day and kick a few goals, whilst Jeffry has been a 50 goal a year player before.

These players must be worth more than either Jones or Tutt.

I'm still ehh on Jones even for 3rd rounder. Tutt for pick 101 (i.e. he has no currency, club just gets him where he wants to go).

My preference is to go after Ried and Membrey instead. 2nd Rounder + Robbo or Jeffry for Ried, whilst 3rd rounder for Membrey. This is of course both players needing to nominate us as their preferred club.

SE_Blue

Cancelled
Jul 18, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves; Meath GAA
Garlick also wants end of First Rounder for Higgins.

Why are our good proven players have less value that unproven players that have been in the system for a while?

Robbo and Jeffry are good player. I don't want to lose them. Robbo can pick up 30dis on his day and kick a few goals, whilst Jeffry has been a 50 goal a year player before.

These players must be worth more than either Jones or Tutt.

I'm still ehh on Jones even for 3rd rounder. Tutt for pick 101 (i.e. he has no currency, club just gets him where he wants to go).

My preference is to go after Ried and Membrey instead. 2nd Rounder + Robbo or Jeffry for Ried, whilst 3rd rounder for Membrey. This is of course both players needing to nominate us as their preferred club.

Garlett and Robinson are worth more than Jones and Tutt based on what they've been able to produce at AFL level.

I feel that by highlighting that we're trading them for off-field discretions we're doing ourselves a disservice and preventing us from getting their actual value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back