2014 Music

Remove this Banner Ad

That's the joke.

Would like to see that hipster w*nker Richard Kingsmill asked the question as to why they've suddenly jumped off an Australian artist that they previously unquestioningly supported at seemingly the peak of their popularity. Far different to the End of Fashion situation.
Sia's track Burn the Pages has been getting quite a lot of airplay on Triple J actually...

Sia's track Burn the Pages has been getting quite a lot of airplay on Triple J actually...

It's been played twice in the past 24 hours according to the J-Play website, once around 9pm, and again at around 4:45am. Hardly "quite a lot" or prime time coverage.

Still interested to know why they "overlooked" her biggest hit. "Chandelier" hasn't been played once, at all, ever on Triple J.

I don't like or care about Sia, I just want Kingsmill to admit that he's an elitist hipster w*nker.

What do you think of the album?

I really like it. It's different from his earlier stuff, but his best work IMO. Fool is one of the best songs I've heard this year.

I didn't know about him prior to this album release.

Seems everyone is enjoying this album and seems that if you like the general style, you'll enjoy the quality of it.

I've read good reviews.

I'm not expecting anything but they've got enough good tunes in their past ten years to suggest they can still craft decent some decent numbers. Whether that's translated into something cohesive and wholly listenable is a different story.

I'll download it tonight and give it a plug.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The last few weeks have been really dope for new releases.

Hope to pick up the new FlyLo either today or tomorrow, interested to see how it compares to his last few. Hearing promising things.

I'm kind of glad Wu Lyf broke up tbh. I always thought they were pretty niche and their hype was a little over-the-top.

The LP was great tho; really earthy and ethereal and it has this real communal feel. I could jam that bad boy for hours.

I just kind of feel that their specific sound would only work in the context of one album. Like how Japandroids 2nd LP was just a denser, better produced version of their first and DFA1979 probably should have just quit music forever. Although their ten-year follow up wasn't too bad.

Their next LP would have just been a water-down, less interesting version of their first LP. I'll have to tune into old mates other stuff though.

How good is the new Cymbals Eat Guitars though? I've jammed that about 3 or 4 times and although it didn't hit me initially I feel in time it may just be their strongest yet; track for track it's certainly more consistent than their first.

Laramie and Jackson are gorgeous tracks and in between there's just so much energy. It's like listening to a more shoegazy, psychedelic and sound Titus Andronicus.

This is one of my favourite songs of all time. So bombastic, so many different little changes and the lyrics are perfect. Who knows what they mean but the poetic inclinations are divine. I think I read something on Reddit one time comparing it to Fight Club or something? Just so cool. They'll never be big either.

I am his liver
I'm gray and decaying
My texture's a sidewalk
And Notre Dame's playing

I hope Japandroids third album goes, and I don't want to use the term but I need to, art rock. Just an experimentation in the old feedback. If they quit though, and it wouldn't surprise me, they'd go down as one of the most romantic bands I ever liked. Right on.

As for Wu Lyf, I'm still filthy on them cancelling their Australian shows in 2012. Would've topped off that Laneway for me. I always forget about that album but, like now, I remember how fully formed it was when it came out. It was a real work, it seemed like they'd been writing songs for a decade. A great listening album, some stellar songs, and probably the last band that made me jolt at their uniqueness. Their whole schtick was a bit pretentious but whatever, it kind of worked, you wouldn't want the blokes behind that album to be a bunch of "yeah man this direction is so exciting, yeah we love Australia! You guys are so chill and welcoming!"

I remember Wu Lyf came out here in 2011 before they released their LP and they were still basically an internet hype band.

Compare that to a year later and it's crazy how quickly they blew up. Although as La Dispute said, it always seemed like there was only so far they could go as a band.

Ellery comes across as a bit of a flog, but he is yet to write a bad song.

How good is the new Cymbals Eat Guitars though? I've jammed that about 3 or 4 times and although it didn't hit me initially I feel in time it may just be their strongest yet; track for track it's certainly more consistent than their first.

Laramie and Jackson are gorgeous tracks and in between there's just so much energy. It's like listening to a more shoegazy, psychedelic and sound Titus Andronicus.

This is one of my favourite songs of all time. So bombastic, so many different little changes and the lyrics are perfect. Who knows what they mean but the poetic inclinations are divine. I think I read something on Reddit one time comparing it to Fight Club or something? Just so cool. They'll never be big either.

I am his liver
I'm gray and decaying
My texture's a sidewalk
And Notre Dame's playing

Yeh this recent album of theirs is my first exposure to them and I really enjoy it. The shoegaze sound is what I'm a real sucker for.

Their name "Cymbals Eat Guitars" was almost too much for me to listen to. I cringe just reading that name but a great sound, absolutely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back