Rumour The Thread formerly known as the rumour file, now with zero rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geelong being very good drafters is a bit of a myth, they were just very lucky with father son selections that made up part of there core side in Scarlett, Ablett and Hawkins. Throw those 3 into any side and I reckon they finish top 4
Chapman & Ling picks in the 30's
Kelly High teens.
Stevie J low 20's
Enright in the 40's

They're all Geelong all time greats selected in 2 separate drafts without using a premium selection or a father son.

Also look what was taken around Fyfe at 19 was Ben Griffths, 21-23 sees only 1/3 still at their club (Bastinac, Weedon & Koby Stevens). A top 10 pick shouldn't be stuffed up after that it becomes a lottery

I assure you a lot of top 10 draft picks have been busts or not lived up to the rating....

It's not so much about as good as Conca or whoever it is at pick 6. Conca probably wont poll more than 5 Brownlow votes in his career but I think he'll get a 150-200 game career out at Richmond. 2 50/50 speculative picks & 1 KPP prospect is too risky.

As I said, I'd rather take the risk that 1 or 2 of Jaksch, #18 and #20 will make it than have an unremarkable 150 game player taken at #6. Mitch Robinson has played 100 games and if picked up will play 150. Possible games is not the most compelling criteria.

What are the odds that Jaksch, #18 and #20 are all going to fail?

I don't think anybody is going to offer us that deal, let alone worry about us taking it.

What makes you think they will be best 22, surely will take 3 or 4 years to work out if they are going to cut it or not and I would reckon it would be a very low % that all 3 would play 100+ games.

It's a calculated risk and as I said, our recruiters would need to evaluate whether the talent pool is stronger than average.

Chapman & Ling picks in the 30's
Kelly High teens.
Stevie J low 20's
Enright in the 40's

They're all Geelong all time greats selected in 2 separate drafts without using a premium selection or a father son.
Fair point and throw in Harry Taylor with a late first rounder, I also suspect it's as much to do with development as it is talent identification.

This draft is supposedly pretty even from about the 5th to 20th on talent. If we have another surprise pick like Cripps up our sleeve it might be better to trade pick 6 like WCE did last year for Sheed.

As I said, I'd rather take the risk that 1 or 2 of Jaksch, #18 and #20 will make it than have an unremarkable 150 game player taken at #6. Mitch Robinson has played 100 games and if picked up will play 150. Possible games is not the most compelling criteria.

What are the odds that Jaksch, #18 and #20 are all going to fail?

I don't think anybody is going to offer us that deal, let alone worry about us taking it.
As I said I'd have the 3 as 50/50 prospects so it's the same chance all 3 failing as it is being 150 gamers. Doing some simple maths thats a 1/8 chance they all fail/making it. I'll stick with the 100% rate of pick 6/7 since 2008

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gibbs, Hampson and Grigg or Marc Murphy, Josh Kennedy & Bower are about as good as it gets for us.. Can't think of a single gun we have picked up outside of the first round since Simpson and Carrazzo in 2002.

i dunno, Key Position player over midfielder i guess.

Which made no difference when they took the midfielder at #2 and the KPP at #12. Should be based on what they have done so far, and for varying reasons, both are still up in the air.

* you, GWS. You've got enough high draft picks and talent as it stands.

KPP or not, he's a former first round draft pick in a compromised draft who has yet to set the world on fire and is keen to come over.

That interview with Rogers was pretty damn up front. Not sure if i like or dislike it to be honest. At least we know where we stand i suppose!

Would you have preferred tired old cliches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back