Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Jul 8, 2002
Why? You stalking me?
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Whoever's winning
Mick needs someone to work off (ie Tony Martin), otherwise a lot of his stuff is just tedious and juvenile.

On U2, unfortunately I think they were stung by the criticism of Pop and the subsequent tour (I loved it personally, both album and tour), and since then they've been trying to write what they think people will like instead of what they themselves like. Sadly they have a very large and sycophantic fan base who will hear nothing bad about them and refuse to countenance any criticism of the band or its music.

Watching Mick Molloy being ever so hilarious on Channel 7 Grand Final morning I came to the conclusion that he mirrors U2 in quality of product. Fantastic in the early nineties and some would say both Mick and U2's peak. Then apart from a brief return to form around the turn of the new millennium (U2-ATYCLB. Mick-The Mick Molloy Show) they both turned in to poor imitation of themselves repeating the same tedious things over and over that they both think still work but have many just wanting them to go away.
I'm of the opinion U2 peaked in the 80's and if that's when the D-Gen was on so did Molloy.

Nov 9, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
🐍🏆Ophidian Old Boys🏆🐍 and Mizzou
Man, I really wanted to like this album, but honestly nothing really stood out for me. I've only listened to it a couple of times, so who knows, it might grow on me like HTDAAB did after not liking that one much at the start either.

I hated NLOTH, but at least it had this absolute beauty:

This was my favourite from NLOTH, I would love to see this one live.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Mick needs someone to work off (ie Tony Martin), otherwise a lot of his stuff is just tedious and juvenile.

On U2, unfortunately I think they were stung by the criticism of Pop and the subsequent tour (I loved it personally, both album and tour), and since then they've been trying to write what they think people will like instead of what they themselves like. Sadly they have a very large and sycophantic fan base who will hear nothing bad about them and refuse to countenance any criticism of the band or its music.
Tend to agree. I've enjoyed the odd song here or there (songs like Electrical Storm and Beautiful Day are excellent when you haven't heard them in ages), but as an album band they have been somewhat irrelevant for two decades now.

Sep 20, 2009
Pascoe Vale
AFL Club
Geelong
Man, I really wanted to like this album, but honestly nothing really stood out for me. I've only listened to it a couple of times, so who knows, it might grow on me like HTDAAB did after not liking that one much at the start either.

I hated NLOTH, but at least it had this absolute beauty:

The start and the end of No Line was great stuff....it just had that fatal dead spot in the middle.

Releasing the godawful 'Get On Your Boots' instead of 'Magnificent' as the single completely killed the album....everyone thought it was going to be a trashy tryhard-Pop and never gave it a chance.

TW_Gangee

Team Captain
Oct 6, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
The start and the end of No Line was great stuff....it just had that fatal dead spot in the middle.

Releasing the godawful 'Get On Your Boots' instead of 'Magnificent' as the single completely killed the album....everyone thought it was going to be a trashy tryhard-Pop and never gave it a chance.
That's probably the first time I've heard anyone mention "Get on Your Boots" since they released NLOTH. Arguably the worst single they ever released. Besides Magnificent, I thought the whole album was pretty forgettable.

Back