Sheehan's top 50 updated

Remove this Banner Ad

I sit and pray each night, not for a North Melbourne premiership - but that a bespectacled semi-retiree anoints some of our players as worthy of inclusion in his completely subjectively chosen list.

For me, there would be no higher honour for us as a club.

yep...just another in the long line of AFL popularity contests/circle jerk displays. Meh.

Pretty accurate overall, you guys haven't got top end talent but you have excellent depth.

I don't see how Harvey is that high, especially if you look at some of the players ahead of him. But I think everyone has realised by now Mike Sheehans top 50 is meaningless.

It's based on the 2014 year. Ablett missing a third of the year saw him slide to 6. Which would you prefer - 22 games from Selwood or 15 games from Ablett? I would take the 22 from Selwood.

Depends if I get to choose the 16...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I sit and pray each night, not for a North Melbourne premiership - but that a bespectacled semi-retiree anoints some of our players as worthy of inclusion in his completely subjectively chosen list.

For me, there would be no higher honour for us as a club.

would give my first born for someone in the top ten

you rating spitta to gaz jnr??

the man nearly won the brownlow...EH.
Jnr is THE best player Ive ever seen..........his consistency of excellent football is unheralded.

Just out of curiosity, how old were you when snr and Cary were running around?

you rating spitta to gaz jnr??

the man nearly won the brownlow...EH.
Jnr is THE best player Ive ever seen..........his consistency of excellent football is unheralded.
Best midfielder. You still have to take Carey if you had to pick.

Old enough.........its my opinion. I must admit that back then other supporters didn't get to see Snr's efforts each week like it is today. But I seen the majority of Carey's games. As I said it my opinion.

I'm not knocking your opinion. I was just wondering because not many people 30+ would have jnr over Cary and snr.

I'm not knocking your opinion. I was just wondering because not many people 30+ would have jnr over Cary and snr.

I'm 30+ and would take Jnr over Snr for sure.

It is when it gets to Carey, Mathews and Jr the decision gets very difficult. I'd probably go in that order.

IMO apart from the obvious strengths of Cary, (skill, strength, genius and incredible contested marking) it was his ability to bring others into the game that puts him above the others. He made the whole side better with the way he used the ball and directed teammates around him. Ablett snr was just trying to do it all himself and knee is all about his next possession. Not that I'm knocking those other two champions.

Best midfielder. You still have to take Carey if you had to pick.

I hold a controversial opinion.

Carey would not have the same impact in the game today because in the game today he'd be under sized.

However in the 80's Jack Ziebell would be the equal or better of Brereton.

I hold a controversial opinion.

Carey would not have the same impact in the game today because in the game today he'd be under sized.

However in the 80's Jack Ziebell would be the equal or better of Brereton.

Carey would still dominate. He went into the middle in the 99 Grand Finals and turned the game. 13 points when he went in - 35 when he came out.

Carey would still dominate. He went into the middle in the 99 Grand Finals and turned the game. 13 points when he went in - 35 when he came out.

On that point I agree. I meant playing as a CHF.

He'd now give away height and weight on pretty much anyone he played on at CHF.

In terms of him being on the field at 192, you're probably right, these day's he'd be a midfielder albeit a tall one.

On that point I agree. I meant playing as a CHF.

He'd now give away height and weight on pretty much anyone he played on at CHF.

In terms of him being on the field at 192, you're probably right, these day's he'd be a midfielder albeit a tall one.

Carey playing as a third tall.

He'd kick 150 a year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back