2014 Potential Draftee and Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

If we are going to start posting all our mistakes I might be busy for a while :$

Yeah really.. I'd better block out a week….

of sundays….:D

GO Catters

Got lost on the main board with the thread being dominated by "Frawley to Hawks" posts.

It appears that Lowden is looking to leave Hawthorn (according to AFL.com.au).

And here is an article from Emma Quayle on some prospective rucks.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-draft-combine-harvester-the-ruckmen-20141001-10op78.html

I know of Frampton (and didn't mind him), Marshall has also been spoken about in this thread previously.

Braydon Preuss and Marc Pittonet are both interesting, anyone seen them?

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Lowden does little for me me especially now we are getting Clark.If we really must have another ruck , why not try a late on for SamB , but really since we missed out on Frawley , why not just draft a potential backline player as a shortish ruck. Have read Josh Fox is quite mobile for a ruck anyone seen him? ( 198) Cover ruck if we are desperate but give him a chance as a defender. Lets face 198 is short for a ruck these days.

Just so I put this on record (and to show I own my mistakes).

Earlier in this thread I mentioned Sam Durdin won the BoG in the U18 GF for West Adelaide.

That part is true but the stats I attributed to him actually belonged to his team-mate Will Snelling.

Durdin, playing in the ruck, had 48 HOs, 12 disposals, 9 marks, 7 tackles, 5 inside 50s and 3 rebound 50s.

Just wanted to clear that up in case someone used the stats elsewhere.

Apologies for the mix up there. :oops:

I feel like I don't know you anymore.

Lowden does little for me me especially now we are getting Clark.If we really must have another ruck , why not try a late on for SamB , but really since we missed out on Frawley , why not just draft a potential backline player as a shortish ruck. Have read Josh Fox is quite mobile for a ruck anyone seen him? ( 198) Cover ruck if we are desperate but give him a chance as a defender. Lets face 198 is short for a ruck these days.
From earlier in the thread, I wrote this after my only viewing of him.

So, since Turbocat raised his name, may as well start with Josh Fox. Wasn't a bad performance by the big boy. Playing in the ruck he had midfield numbers (26 disposals). He looked a handy proposition but he just wasn't really up against anyone. Duom Dawan (from Victoria) was drafted in as NT were short of tall men and Dawan looked completely lost. So, like a number of his teammates, it is really tricky to get any sort of gauge on the Tasmanian players because NT were ordinary.

Take that for what it is worth.

I feel like I don't know you anymore.
I've always been fallible.

Just ask Cam Eardley and Jordan Schroder.

Hard to judge Fox on that viewing as NT were poor and he didn't really have an opponent.

A number of the Tassie boys looked handy in that game but I reckon Cockatoo will be the only NT player drafted this year.

And he didn't even play in the Champs.

meto

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 3, 2008
south-east
AFL Club
Geelong

He, Lowden, had a top game in the semi final kicking 4 goals, almost BOG, but I thought he was ordinary in their GF against the Bulldogs. He's a good height 204cm but lacked the ability to hold position in many ruck contests I thought, he seemed to stumble a lot going body on body.
Maybe it was just a bad day for him, hard to say?

Jagshemash

Team Captain
Aug 18, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
He, Lowden, had a top game in the semi final kicking 4 goals, almost BOG, but I thought he was ordinary in their GF against the Bulldogs. He's a good height 204cm but lacked the ability to hold position in many ruck contests I thought, he seemed to stumble a lot going body on body.
Maybe it was just a bad day for him, hard to say?
He played well that day because McEvoy was playing wasn't he? And thus Lowden played forward and had only 13 hitouts. I don't think we need another forward-ruckman on our list. Too many no.2s.

meto

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 3, 2008
south-east
AFL Club
Geelong
He played well that day because McEvoy was playing wasn't he? And thus Lowden played forward and had only 13 hitouts. I don't think we need another forward-ruckman on our list. Too many no.2s.

McEvoy was playing and yes, you make a good point, he used his superior height to good effect that day, ran well but didn't seem to have the same desperation for the contest in the GF strangely enough.
I've gone off him after that, but we do need a 204+ type No1.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
McEvoy was playing and yes, you make a good point, he used his superior height to good effect that day, ran well but didn't seem to have the same desperation for the contest in the GF strangely enough.
I've gone off him after that, but we do need a 204+ type No1.

If you want 203+'s , just grab a kid and put him on a Rookie , and just see how he progresses. Rucks are the easiest to get quality late as long as they are young. We are getting pretty tall , but we also anticipate we could have two retirements... we at least possible. I think we have added what we had to with Irish and Clark , two other options on the list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

meto

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 3, 2008
south-east
AFL Club
Geelong
If you want 203+'s , just grab a kid and put him on a Rookie , and just see how he progresses. Rucks are the easiest to get quality late as long as they are young. We are getting pretty tall , but we also anticipate we could have two retirements... we at least possible. I think we have added what we had to with Irish and Clark , two other options on the list.

I want Clark as a key forward not out there rucking against the monsters, that's why we've got Simpson or HMac.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
I want Clark as a key forward not out there rucking against the monsters, that's why we've got Simpson or HMac.

Simpson is only one disc away from being finished, and any reliance on him is fraught with danger, so we've got to pray and hope HMac builds his fitness up with another preseason because I reckon he'll end up being our No. 1 ruck for most of next season.

Hopefully we grab another ruckman somewhere who can play 2nd ruck and step into HMac's shoes if he breaks down or struggles with fitness.

meto

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 3, 2008
south-east
AFL Club
Geelong
Simpson is only one disc away from being finished, and any reliance on him is fraught with danger, so we've got to pray and hope HMac builds his fitness up with another preseason because I reckon he'll end up being our No. 1 ruck for most of next season.

Hopefully we grab another ruckman somewhere who can play 2nd ruck and step into HMac's shoes if he breaks down or struggles with fitness.

We've got quite a few number No 2's would've thought, I just want that big centre bounce ruckman, or am I behind the times?
Simpson's at least 206 or more.

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Hard to judge Fox on that viewing as NT were poor and he didn't really have an opponent.

A number of the Tassie boys looked handy in that game but I reckon Cockatoo will be the only NT player drafted this year.

And he didn't even play in the Champs.

Where do you think he will fall? Apparently has won the kicking test at DC as well has having impressive sprint and jumping results. Certainly testing exceptionally well. That highlight of him from the game the other day made you just go "wow!". Doubt there would be too many mids this year that could do that.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Where do you think he will fall? Apparently has won the kicking test at DC as well has having impressive sprint and jumping results. Certainly testing exceptionally well. That highlight of him from the game the other day made you just go "wow!". Doubt there would be too many mids this year that could do that.

Just my opinion, the way he presents he could jump into R1 tail end. 188 , that quick , those skills. We are talking Dangerfield Judd type , just alot rawer.
A team with a solid list would seem him as a very high upside. But its come almost from no where, looking thru the phantoms cant see his name in too many.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Just my opinion, the way he presents he could jump into R1 tail end. 188 , that quick , those skills. We are talking Dangerfield Judd type , just alot rawer.
A team with a solid list would seem him as a very high upside. But its come almost no where, looking thru the phantoms can t see his name in too many.

I'd love to know prior to last weekend where he sat in the recruiter's eyes. But I agree. He looks like a first round pick on that game alone which is peculiar. His testing will only make him more attractive to clubs. I'm not too sure where I'd take him but I'd love to have a couple of picks in the late teens and use one of them on him.

Don't know. I can't make any sort of judgement call on him since I've never seen him play.

But he is clearly testing really well and I seem to recall hearing that he trained with North earlier in the year and they were quite impressed with him.

About all I can say is he'll be getting talked up a bit now.

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
With the probable addition of Clark we (I assume) won't be looking at tall(ish) forwards but here's Emma again...

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-draft-combine-harvester-tall-forwards-20141002-10pi7w.html

You wouldn't think we'd draft one but they may look to take a tall who can play at both ends. There's something about both Cripps and Keitel that I like if we were to take one. Cripps may even last until the rookie draft.

I like Keitel's versatility and aggression. He was good forward over the U18 champs and just as good down back when asked to move into defence.

But I think our first priority will probably be mids. Unless we trade out either Vardy or Walker (which I would think unlikely), then you'd think they'd be focussing on the likes of Weller, Laverde, Blakely etc

Lowden would be better than simpson as a depth option so i would get him.this year's crop is very weak for rucks imo so i would trade.

Pivo,will baulderstone get to the rookie draft? If both sa clubs trade for rucks they would be less likely to get him, i dont think we will have late nd picks.

I think our 2nd rounder goes to clark,we will trade hunt for a 3rd rounder which i would on trade for a depth ruck,maybe our other 3rd rounder gets newton.

Now there is no frawley i like the idea to trade our 1st for 2 early 20's picks with gws. That way we can get a good mid and a key defender

Back