Mega Thread Dayne Beams trade (Its over, thread closed)

What do you support the club to do? (Opposition respondents will be carded)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct, you're not allowed to suggest Aish or Mayes - a fair deal - as I was clearly warned - else you get a threadban. :drunk:

You're most welcome to suggest that on this board ... We'll allow it :)

Wait, there are rules? headexploding.gif

Yes, they're not easy to find, but you should see a link in small print down in the bottom right hand corner of the browser window ("terms and rules")

The Collingwood board rules are a stickied thread at the top of our main page

Yes, they're not easy to find, but you should see a link in small print down in the bottom right hand corner of the browser window ("terms and rules")

The Collingwood board rules are a stickied thread at the top of our main page
Please, I was making a poor attempt a humour. :oops:

Also, I am guessing the rules are kind of flexible because I have posted some crap that has been deleted but I have never been banned/suspended.

Would take it would want to swap 2nd round picks aswell but that's close enough

Hoping Hawthorn getting Frawley stops them from chasing ORourke

Just to say it again - why are people even remotely interested in O'Rourke? Aside from being the #2 pick in his draft year he's done *nothing* to justify either that lofty draft position or any notion that he'd be a suitable "+1" in the Beams trade.

Swann's comments the other day about FA compensation are telling.

Pick 4 is more than likely to be Pick 5.
Frawley compo - he is borderline Band 1/2 but the AFL will make sure they get Pick 4.
So Pick 4 becomes Pick 5.
Overall in this draft, it's not a top pick.
McCartin, Wright, Brayshaw & Petracca are the clear top 4 in the pure draft.
Heeney & Moore who go to Sydney/Collingwood round out the top 6 players.
Heeney is close to the best mid in it and Moore with his finals finish is nearly at the level of the two big forwards. On a talent and versatility scale, he has both covered.
So Pick 5 in this draft is effectively pick 7.
It's not a valuable trading tool.
Picks 6/7 to about Pick 14/15 in this draft are very even.
You could throw a blanket over them, no possible standout like the top 6.
Watch Adelaide's recruiter Hamish Ogilive discuss this at 4.57 in this video as confirmation.
http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-10-02/combine-wrap-day-four
This is why Greg Swann was complaining about the Frawley compensation the other day.
His great mate Derek Hine, who he hired at Collingwood told him he doesn't rate Pick 5
It also gives an insight who holds the whip hand in the trade. Already Hine has Swann working for him.

Beams is leaving for the money. Simple.
He can pull the family thing as much as he wants, but it was literally never ever brought up. But after the big dollars were thrown at him, he went running. Everything started when Zorko said at a conference "it would be nice to have a player like dayne beams play for us."
Money talks. Yes, he"ll be closer to his father, but was that the main reason? No.

Beams is leaving for the money. Simple.
He can pull the family thing as much as he wants, but it was literally never ever brought up. But after the big dollars were thrown at him, he went running. Everything started when Zorko said at a conference "it would be nice to have a player like dayne beams play for us."
Money talks. Yes, he"ll be closer to his father, but was that the main reason? No.

Don't be stupid, unless Brisbane were offering him more than 1 million $ per year, we'd match it.

Just to say it again - why are people even remotely interested in O'Rourke? Aside from being the #2 pick in his draft year he's done *nothing* to justify either that lofty draft position or any notion that he'd be a suitable "+1" in the Beams trade.

You're the only person I've seen who shares my view on O'Rourke. Seems his name was linked to us about 3 months ago, and that was all it took

A bit off topic but can we have a sweepstake for how many pages this thread will reach before a decision is made? Might make it slightly more interesting

People said the same about Dom Tyson

(Log in to remove this ad.)

any beams picks/players will get passed straight onto Adelaide for Danger.
can't stand hutchy but what he said regarding Danger leaving this year rather then next year makes a lot of sense.
for those who didn't hear it he basically said if PD was thinking about leaving end of next year why not go now instead of wasting a year learning a new game plan under a new coach.
This year is the year for all clubs to attempt to attract possible free and restricted agency players and the players themselves are aware of this.

The rules in restricted/free agency are apparently being reviewed this year and players may very well not be as accessible in the future.

I'm not a big fan of ORouke, but at the same time I don't know much about him. If the draft this year is shallow which from what I'm reading it appears to be, then his value I guess increases and warrants using an early pick. It's all comparable I guess on what's on offer.

Apparently O'Rourke can kick, a unique trait which would make him instantly our best player.

he's also a very good long distance runner something we are also lacking

People said the same about Dom Tyson

There's a big difference between the two. Tyson's a competitor and O'Rouke isn't. Competitiveness is the number 1 trait that a number of clubs look for these days.

At the end of the day O'Rouke's a handy type, but without that thirst for the contest and winner take all mentality he'll never become anything more than handy.

It's why Tom Lamb will drop in the draft. He has all the talent in the world, but there's the lingering question on whether he has the competitive instincts to make good on that talent, IMO.

There's a big difference between the two. Tyson's a competitor and O'Rouke isn't. Competitiveness is the number 1 trait that a number of clubs look for these days.

At the end of the day O'Rouke's a handy type, but without that thirst for the contest and winner take all mentality he'll never become anything more than handy.

It's why Tom Lamb will drop in the draft. He has all the talent in the world, but there's the lingering question on whether he has the competitive instincts to make good on that talent, IMO.

Big call he's been around for 2 years still only a kid

Big call he's been around for 2 years still only a kid

Have you seen him show anything along the lines of what I mentioned in his time through U18's, NEAFL and AFL level? I'm talking about a moment like when Darcy Moore attacked that ground level ball in his first VFL match from that moment I knew he had "it" and I haven't seen it once from O'Rouke. Unfortunately it's not a trait you can turn on and off like a tap.

Look at all of our past 8 selections at the draft table and Adams. The 9 of them have that desire about them they're up for the contest and want to get amongst it and dare I say it a couple of them even have a bit of mongrel about them. Kinnear Beatson stated on Saturday that competitiveness is the number 1 trait that both Longmire and Roos have wanted in their players.

Because of that I just don't see him as a fit for our recruiting model and its why I have doubts on Hawthorn being his destination either.

Apparently O'Rourke can kick, a unique trait which would make him instantly our best player.

Pendlebury_Rd709_246a.jpg

Anybody else will always be second best.

Have you seen him show anything along the lines of what I mentioned in his time through U18's, NEAFL and AFL level? Because I haven't and it's not a trait you can turn on and off like a tap.

Look at all of our past 8 selections at the draft table and Adams. The 9 of them have that desire about them they're up for the contest and want to get amongst it and dare I say it a couple of them even have a bit of mongrel about them. Kinnear Beatson stated on Saturday that competitiveness is the number 1 trait that both Longmire and Roos have wanted in their players.

Because of that I just don't see him as a fit for our recruiting model and its why I have doubts on Hawthorn being his destination either.

Well if Hawthorn are chasing him we should be they never get it wrong

Well if Hawthorn are chasing him we should be they never get it wrong

That's the most rediculous justification for a recruiting model I've ever heard. It's akin to the old so and so is jumping off a bridge does that mean you're going to do it as well?

Our two lists are in completely different positions and Hawthorn are in the fortunate position to be able to cherry pick types. Unfortunately we need players with competitiveness and leadership neither of which O'Rouke provides. As I said he's a handy type, but you've gotta pick your battles and this isn't one, IMO.

What if a three way trade with Melbourne becomes possible??

Collingwood lose Beams but gain pick 2 or 3 and second round pick
Brisbane lose pick 5 and second round pick but gain Beams
Melbourne lose pick 2 or 3 but gain Pick 5 and Merrett

Does this work?? Would give us the chance to snag one of the best talents in this years draft.

What if a three way trade with Melbourne becomes possible??

Collingwood lose Beams but gain pick 2 or 3 and second round pick
Brisbane lose pick 5 and second round pick but gain Beams
Melbourne lose pick 2 or 3 but gain Pick 4 and Merrett

Does this work?? Would give us the chance to snag one of the best talents in this years draft.

I'd probably be happy with this if it's pick 2 we get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back