Opinion "A message from Jarrad McVeigh and Kieran Jack"

stevierayswan

Team Captain
Jul 7, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
Dear fans

We ****** up big time on saturday.

I couldnt point as much as i usually do and make everyone do more.

Horse gave us some instructions but buggered if i know what theyr were, he tried to move buddy to the wing, it didnt work

We thought mitchell burgoyne hodge and lewis would run out of puff, it didnt work.

Losing is disappointing but i guarantee it wont happen again, its unbloods like its not what the guys stand for

I tried to lead they didnt follow, if buddy learns swans footy maybe we can come back

Also our flight was a bit delayed and we were tired from that parade and the open training session so thats why we were a bit tired saturday

Also 2 30 is not a great time for us

Love jarred mcveigh
GOLD!!

stevierayswan

Team Captain
Jul 7, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
Here's an idea. They should make the first 2015 Swans v Hawks game free entry for Swans fans, as a small gesture of "hey we're sorry we fu*ked up, come watch us for free!" :p

Sanecow

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Hanners I actually feel bad for. Early in the game before he came to understand that his team didn't actually have any interest, he had the stuffing knocked out of him multiple times. Then he was all "ohhhh, I get it" and fell in line. Wouldn't expect him to apologize.

Troystenvic

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Sorry is the most bullshizen word ever created. Sorry for me would be swans players coming out next year every single week (and I mean every week) and burying blokes in massive tackles. laying massive bumps and going HARD.
I'm not suggesting we play dirty. Lets do it within the rules and be FANATICAL about it.

No more Mr Soft C○ck needs to be our new mantra.

Ok well this is the full email they sent out.

Saturday was disappointing and it hurts. At the end of the day, we didn't play the sort of football we wanted to or that we’re capable of. It’s as simple as that.

As members of the Club, we know you’re feeling it too. You’ve been part of our team all year, and you share our disappointment now, in the same way you shared the many highs with us throughout the season.

This year we claimed the minor premiership with the help of the amazing atmosphere you created for us at our home matches and your dedication and passion at our away matches. Four of our boys were named in the All-Australian team, Lance Franklin won the Coleman Medal – the Club’s first since Tony Lockett in 1998 – and champion Adam Goodes played an unbelievable 350th game to take us into our fourth Grand Final in 10 years.

So to you, we say thank you for joining our team and for being with us every step of the way. Although the season didn’t end the way we wanted it to, we all go into the off season now with the fire burning for 2015.

We will learn from Saturday and like every year, we will be working incredibly hard to improve for 2015. We look forward to having you back on board and back in the stands, showing you're Proudly Sydney.

Cheer cheer,
Jarrad McVeigh and Kieren Jack
I got that email as well, and the more I think about it the more it strikes me as a bit of spin concocted by the marketing department, which Jack and McVeigh were told to put their names to.

To use the word "disappointment" in relation to how the supporters felt gives it away for me. As a Carlton supporter but Swans member, yes - I was disappointed.

But I am sure the majority of Swans fans would have been far more than "disappointed" in what went down in the GF. Shattered or devastated would have been far more likely responses.

I'm not sure why they even bothered sending it to be honest.

stevierayswan

Team Captain
Jul 7, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
I got that email as well, and the more I think about it the more it strikes me as a bit of spin concocted by the marketing department, which Jack and McVeigh were told to put their names to.

To use the word "disappointment" in relation to how the supporters felt gives it away for me. As a Carlton supporter but Swans member, yes - I was disappointed.

But I am sure the majority of Swans fans would have been far more than "disappointed" in what went down in the GF. Shattered or devastated would have been far more likely responses.

I'm not sure why they even bothered sending it to be honest.
when professional footballers wheel out one liners like "we didn't play the way we wanted"... I'm sorry but that is just not good enough. Tell us what actually happened.

Stencorp69

Team Captain
Jul 16, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
I thought the email was going to tell us they were apologizing for getting the dates wrong and they thought they were going to the mad Monday Mardi Gras - I agree with JohnG "Proudly Sydney" geez the only thing they bled at GF was Chai Latte. Very strange season; humiliation for the first game and humiliation for the last - with some amazing football in between. They need to get them training out at Blacktown and get a bit of the mongrel back in them.

Still can't complain too much just have to remember the late 80's to early 90's when a 10 goal drubbing was par for the course.

sickzau

Debutant
Aug 23, 2008
Dandenong
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Firstly commiserations on the grand final, we pretty much had the same response after the loss in 2012.... You guys will be back and better.

I for one couldn't stomach watching buddy play for another team but to me he looks like he is the complete player now at the swans, things only going to get better boys, believe me we both as clubs have been through this pain before.

heads up and enjoy the highs and lows that come with this great game.

The Brabazone

Team Captain
Oct 15, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
The players don't owe the fans a contrived apology, and I for one don't want to hear it. What they do owe is to do everything that is humanly possible to make up for their poor performance on Grand Final day by trying to win the bloody thing in 2015. I personally don't doubt that they will do everything possible to do this and if they do nobody on here will be waiting for a message from the club captains, rather we will all be reveling in their heroics as we did in 2012. There is no doubt the players were hurting after the Grand Final and are still hurting now, if you don't believe it watch Jarrad McVeigh's post Grand Final press conference. He was gutted he couldn't deliver his best on the biggest day of all as captain of the club, and that many of his teammates couldn't hold their heads up either. Nothing they said would have made them or us feel any better, all they/we can do is use the pain of failing on the biggest stage to spur us on next season.

"Some Port Adelaide players weren't happy with their 2014 season and are already training to try and win next year. Why aren't you, preferring to use cheap words and promises of improvement?"

FLYINV

Team Captain
Jun 9, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I certainly don't think they owe us an apology, it's more about the boys coming to terms with the defeat themselves and getting stronger from it.

The 2014 Swans played some of the best football I've ever seen a Swans team play, and I really enjoyed the roller coaster ride through the year, and all the festivities that come when your club plays finals footy. We certainly can't take for granted another grand final appearance, and I hope as a supporter base we can at some point reflect on the season and still find some joy in some of the great wins during the season. Beating Port at the SCG was the favorite for me.

mcs095

All Australian
Sep 12, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
I certainly don't think they owe us an apology, it's more about the boys coming to terms with the defeat themselves and getting stronger from it.

The 2014 Swans played some of the best football I've ever seen a Swans team play, and I really enjoyed the roller coaster ride through the year, and all the festivities that come when your club plays finals footy. We certainly can't take for granted another grand final appearance, and I hope as a supporter base we can at some point reflect on the season and still find some joy in some of the great wins during the season. Beating Port at the SCG was the favorite for me.

What we did to Geelong was by far the most satisfying, complete performance of the season. We got them down and stood on the jugular for the whole 4 quarters - well and truly 'bent them over' and got them back for some of what they've dished out to us over the years.

We will only truly know how much the GF loss hurt if we make it back there again next year. I would think the first 5 or so minutes of the GF next year, should we make it, will show whether the team learnt anything from this years disaster, and whether it really has burnt them hard.

Tuco

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
J Kennedy for Captain.
It's time.

You know what you're going to get every week & it will keep him a Swan for life.

*sssh. Ryan Griffen. Leigh Colbert. Stephen King. Chris Judd. Ron Barassi (one for Bedders)*

I like it, though. Anything that might keep Joey in red and White gets my vote.

Back