Draft Profile Reece McKenzie

Remove this Banner Ad

It'll be interesting more for the fact that one goal sepperates both Calder's Jayden Foster and Reece McKenzie in order to take home the leading goal kicker award at this years Morrish Medal.

If McKenzie goes to half back and plays on Foster - which is what I have been told it's only because AFL recruiters have requested to talent manager Peter Kennedy that they want to see him play on quality key defenders to gauge an idea of his fitness/agility/defensive side - which the latter is lacking.

You'd suspect with the Knights losing seven games this year after leading throughout that they'll try get McKenzie over the line to beat Foster (Wright is six goals behind and isn't in contention).

Wright will be utilised through the ruck tomorrow with stints up forward. But McKenzie will go straight to Foster if indeed he does start at CHB.
Genuinely hope McKenzie goes forward and there's a shoot out.

I know recruiters may want to see what he can do defensively, but I don't see the point; Tony Lockett never went to CHB, nor for that matter has Paddy McCartin.

McKenzie is a key forward, and if he gets on at AFL level will play as a key forward. Playing him at CHB makes very little sense to me ultimately. He's already shown he can take marks in the back half against Calder earlier in the year.

Genuinely hope McKenzie goes forward and there's a shoot out.

I know recruiters may want to see what he can do defensively, but I don't see the point; Tony Lockett never went to CHB, nor for that matter has Paddy McCartin.

McKenzie is a key forward, and if he gets on at AFL level will play as a key forward. Playing him at CHB makes very little sense to me ultimately. He's already shown he can take marks in the back half against Calder earlier in the year.

Don't be surprised. Travis Cloke was played in defence a lot during his draft year. It's not necessarily a sign that it'll be his position at AFL level, but it's an indication of his work rate when pitted against another gun forward. It's a learning process. How many times do you see kids get thrown into different positions they wouldn't normally play as a way to make them play accountable football?

TAC is funny, because there is a fine line of clubs wanting to win games and ultimately premierships - but they also have a responsibility to recruiters and AFL clubs who want to see players pitted in certain positions to gauge a greater understanding. Trust me, the requests are endless and not always are they obliged.

Don't be surprised. Travis Cloke was played in defence a lot during his draft year. It's not necessarily a sign that it'll be his position at AFL level, but it's an indication of his work rate when pitted against another gun forward. It's a learning process. How many times do you see kids get thrown into different positions they wouldn't normally play as a way to make them play accountable football?

TAC is funny, because there is a fine line of clubs wanting to win games and ultimately premierships - but they also have a responsibility to recruiters and AFL clubs who want to see players pitted in certain positions to gauge a greater understanding. Trust me, the requests are endless and not always are they obliged.
I know, but if I'm making the trip to a game I otherwise have no stake in, I want to see him steaming out of the square and kicking a bag.

It is an interesting debate. I guess it all comes down to where a club thinks he will be at 21+ and not from 18-21.

If Reece had not diverted to Basketball for a period and instead come though the same U16-AIS program these past 2-3 years as Wright, McCartin, Durdin and Goddard I wonder what the story would be now?

Apeness went at 17 on the back of a decent TAC season. Has Reece shown he is capable of more than Apeness showed. Remembering his limited preparation i.e basically no preseason?

He will be an interesting one. I hope he plays at CHB tomorrow. I have seen everything he can do at FF.

Just as a matter of interest I just looked at Kurt Tippett's stats to see where he is at after 7 yrs in the AFL. I'm not sure but I think they are fairly underwhelming.

125 games Ave 2gls, 6.7 ks, 3.6 hb, 10.3 disposals and 4 marks. So over 22 games that averages out at 44 goals a season. One would hope his next 4 years take a great leap forward based on his pay packet.

2.87 - 20 metre today... 197cm and 100kg
tumblr_m32qigGqBY1qahznko1_500.gif

2.87 - 20 metre today... 197cm and 100kg

anyone see his agility? That's still a really good time for a guy of his size, but if he can pair that with a good agility test and show he's capable of doubling back, turning and changing direction then i'll seriously stand up and take notice

anyone see his agility? That's still a really good time for a guy of his size, but if he can pair that with a good agility test and show he's capable of doubling back, turning and changing direction then i'll seriously stand up and take notice
Apparently shocking. 12.81.

He doesn't have the runs on the board, compared to those other top guys - they've been performing as underaged players, whereas McKenzie is only returning to football this year. Which may not seem that important, but familiarity is important on BigFooty. They've also got him covered on pure ability - Durdin with his skills, Wright with his versatility and McCartin being the more well rounded full forward. All three also have McKenzie covered athletically, particularly Durdin and Wright.

You could argue that McKenzie is slightly limited in his game, but if he does fulfill his potential then he'll be a handful for opposition teams. You just have to look at Carlton and how a firing Levi Casboult changed the entire dynamic.

This is proving to be false, not a dig at you Chris just going off test results. Seems to be BF sheep mentality type knock on him that is a furphy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chris the facts are that at the Combine Reece beat Durdin in every assessment area bar height 196.9 vs 197.5 Reece is 20 kg heavier and still beat in him agility, leap and assorted running tests. A 2.87 at 106kg is simply amazing. On top of that Reece dominated all year and Durdin didn't fire a shot at any level. On top of that Reece has had the past 2012 and 2013 out of football and Durdin has been in the AIS getting all the extra coaching. Facts and figures are in Reeces favor vs Durdin and Wright didn't test.........again.

the kid is a deadset jet, knowing first hand the kid is a pure forward. not surprised by the testing results, has anyone seen him play basketball to?
wouldnt think so, but trust me his quite a unique prospect

Some guys get a rise in the Draft Camp, some drop off. Whatever you may say about Reece McKenzie, he did himself no harm at the Draft Camp. His ability to run (in a straight line) was excellent, as was his jumping. His agility needs some work, very true: not quite like the Queen Mary, but definitely not a strength yet. But he did well enough on the tests to get a decent boost.
Having such a low profile before the start of the season may allow him to go lower than some may expect, but he has done enough to raise his profile: everyone will have heard of him by now.
As was noted earlier in this thread, he did better than many of his direct competitors. This will make a difference when it come time to choose between him and his peers.
I like what I see when I see him play, but he has a huge amount of development left in him. I hope he falls to us (Carlton), but I think his results make that less probable. Too many clubs are in the market for tall forwards and not enough of them on available for trade yet (although North may shed some as they continue to attract possible recruits, as may Hawthorn and Sydney).

His agility needs some work, very true:

This is not really true. His agility scores beat guys like Duggan, Lamb, Hiscox and pretty much every other KPP and that was still carrying 106kg.

For all the talk about guys like Goddard and Durdin, he smashed them in the testing.

This is not really true. His agility scores beat guys like Duggan, Lamb, Hiscox and pretty much every other KPP and that was still carrying 106kg.

For all the talk about guys like Goddard and Durdin, he smashed them in the testing.
Oh, I'd still like to see him work on his agility. But at 106 kg he has a huge amount of momentum and probably can't twist and jink like Eddie Betts. Doesn't bother me.
As I wrote earlier, he did his draft chances no harm at all. I hope our recruiting staff noted his results compared to the other tall forwards and our use of Pick #7. (I don't want to get into why that isn't pick #6: some things the AFL make up that I will never understand.)

What was his score out of interest?

Here's a comparison that is interesting. Draft Combine Results

Nic Nat
200cm, 94kg,
Agility 8.53
1.05 (5), 1.74 (10), 2.86 (20)
25.10 repeat sprint
Standing VJ 78
Right run VJ 96
Left run VJ 102

Reece
197cm, 106.9kg,