Player Watch 8. Taylor Duryea

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Taylor Duryea

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/player.../senior/season/2009/selected/bio/default.aspx

Medium forward whose overhead ability belies his height. Quick, agile and athletic with the abilty to go through the middle. Foot skills are supreme whether it be delivering inside 50 or kicking for goal. His 2.94 sec 20m was very good at Victorian screening.Watch Taylor Duryea in action
Stats (averages for U18 TAC Cup)
Games K H D M G
H/O
7 11 8 19 3 0 1In his own words
What type of player are you?

I’m a versatile player. I’m an attacking player and back myself in one-on-one contests. My marking ability makes me useful as a forward and I use my kick well when in the midfield or across half back.
Which AFL player do you most resemble and why?
In a way I’m like Jason Porplyzia in that he often plays forward as a target that can jump and take a strong mark. He also has the ability to push up into the midfield and create play from there.
What are your strengths as a footballer?
My kicking is my No.1 strength and something I pride myself on, but something I’m also rather critical of. Another strength is my ability to play above my height by taking strong contested marks.
What parts of your game would you like to improve?
I would like to improve my fitness levels and in turn lift my workrate to get to more contests. I’d also like to become cleaner over the ball when in close and tight.
Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
I barrack for St Kilda and have done for my whole life. This is due to my father’s influence.
Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far and why?
My cousin, Paul Duryea, was my junior coach who pushed me to develop. Also my step dad, Ian Rogers, has taught me a lot about the game and is a great support.

Re: 2011 Player Review - Expressions of Interest aka **WE WANT YOU** SUGGESTED FORMAT NOW IN FIRST P

Taylor Duryea 2011 Review

Height: 179cm
Weight: 74kg
DOB: 24/04/91
Recruited from: Murray Bushrangers

Taylor_Duryea.jpg

Since Taylor played the entire season at Box Hill it was hard to provide stats on his performances this year. The best I can provide is an eye witness account of his games.

At the start of this year it was hard to tell what Taylor’s best position was. He wasn’t fit or good enough for the midfield
so he started in attack this year playing for the box hill seniors. He never really comfortable and couldn’t really impose himself on any games.
He got his name on the goal kickers list with a goal here or there. As the weeks went by he completely stagnated in attack opposition defenders
were easily able to limit his influence on the game. He just didn’t have the creativity or skill to find space in our forward line and needed to be
moved to further develop him as a player.

He was dropped to the development side, where down at Werribee, I remember him kicking a wonderful goal dodging and
weaving around two or three opponents and snapping it on his left. It was to be one of his last highlights in the forward line, because he was to
be then shifted to defense, a move that I think changed his season and form around.

He does have a bit of pace and he can run and use the ball. He is a good kick of the football (a pre requisite at hawthorn).
Box Hill started him out tagging opposition small forwards. He was soon promoted to the seniors where he started to put a few good games together
playing of that half back line in the second half of the season. I think in one game he might have been one of leading possession winners on the ground
in the first quarter. However his best game was against Casey he was named in the best. A game we lost badly, here is the official report: http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4742/newsid/118330/default.aspx

Rumour has it that his continuing improvement caught the eye of the leadership group at Hawthorn. At training he was called into
the middle of the leadership group as some sort of initiation for his efforts. As luck would have it almost a week or two after this happened he got an
injury that ended his season. He retained his position on our list on the strength of his form in the second half of this year. I look forward to what
Taylor has to offer next year after another pre-season.

Re: 2011 Player Review - Expressions of Interest aka **WE WANT YOU** SUGGESTED FORMAT NOW IN FIRST P

Duryea played in the AIS vs BH apparently was a reasonable game. But Sunday he lined up on the back flank to play his first game for points since June/July last year when he did his ankle.
I thought it was a decent game, 23 possies. Pretty rusty in the first quarter but improved as game went on. Intensity good, hit the ball hard but timing was a a bit off and was unable to pick up the ball cleanly on a couple of occasions. His handball was good and skills by foot mixed.

Another step in the right direction. His run was greater and possessions cleaner and at times showed a touch of class. He had quite a number of opponents including a couple of small stints on Didak. He did kick one goal on Duryea where I believe he got caught watching the ball with Didak slipping a few meters away - too much for someone with his experience and skill. But according to coaches it seems a common problem in young players. It's not something he does regularly so not too concerned. I believe he got through unscathed so for him would be very pleasing.

I think Taylor has shown considerable development this year, particularly given his injury ridden preseason which included the inability to play any NAB games.
He played the AIS vs BHH game around our Rd 2 bye. He then played his first game Rd 4 in the Dev Squad. He has played seniors since.
All the byes, including the league bye and the fact he was travelling emergency against Port Adelaide created another challenge when trying to gain match fitness and gain some form of continuity. He played only 1 game in 5 weeks during that period - none missed due to injury. He has now played 10 official games for the year.
Taylor averages 18 possies a game as a back pocket/flank and has been in the best 3 out of the last 4 games. I think with Murphy, Cheney Mirra & to some degree Gillham being elevated or injured has meant Duryea has shouldered quite a bit of responsibility and for those who get to the BHH games would note he is regularly organising the back 6, demonstrating good leadership.
At the ground on Sunday there was some discussion around Taylor training with the senior Hawks squad on Saturday. From my understaning way too much was read into it and he simply was having a fitness test as he had not trained all week with a groin injury.

Q&A with Taylor Duryea - from Officical Hawthorn Website
Of course emergency again this week. I think with the Hawks sights firmly set on finals and winning the big one they will not be trying any new players. Perhaps a game for Bateman based on sentiment given its Gold Coast but from what I can gather the fringe/depth players are getting the opportunity to best prepare a top 28 players for the finals campaign.

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4742/newsid/144721/default.aspx

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Taylor is a great player, he is a regular now and has alot of what guerra brought to the team, good disposal generally and a toughness that is needed in defense, he also defends well, i would say he has stepped in seemlessly into the hawks main line-up...

It would be great if someone could download the two hits he had against Port this year.
Against Mitchell in the 2nd quarter in round 10 and against White in the Prelim

Remove this Banner Ad

Back