Learning about the game. Best books and board,PC games?

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
Hi all.
Im looking for educational board games or PC game for kids to play and learn about tactics etc. What are the best out there.
Also, is there a good book, or the best book (suitable for adults) that explains tactics, situational expectations, etc, ?

dyl_tigerman

All Australian
Veteran Richmond Tigers - Mark Coughlan 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 21, 2008
the Great Southern Stand
AFL Club
Richmond
Hi all.
Im looking for educational board games or PC game for kids to play and learn about tactics etc. What are the best out there.
Also, is there a good book, or the best book (suitable for adults) that explains tactics, situational expectations, etc, ?

I know this doesn't help you much but watching as much football as possible not just on tv but live will do more for you then any book can. That includes going down and watching your local team through to AFL the more you watch the more you learn.

As for tactics you can't really read them out of a book either. They change so often and very quickly become obsolete, look at COllingwood 2010.. chip around the boundary was quickly smashed in 2011 with Geelong willing to break the lines and run...

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
I know this doesn't help you much but watching as much football as possible not just on tv but live will do more for you then any book can. That includes going down and watching your local team through to AFL the more you watch the more you learn.

As for tactics you can't really read them out of a book either. They change so often and very quickly become obsolete, look at COllingwood 2010.. chip around the boundary was quickly smashed in 2011 with Geelong willing to break the lines and run...

Hi Dyl.

My young bloke started playing AFL. But im from a RL background. He's a pretty handy athlete and im trying to help him undrestand the game. To do that I have to learn it also. We watch a lot of games, he plays as well, and ive done a coaching course. So I am trying.

But AFL isn't my first language. In RL I know the game inside out, and can speak about it laymans terms, concerning tactics, do's and dont's etc. Like wingers and fullback start to drop back on the 4th. Never let the ball bounce, always take the man with the ball, don't take dummies, hunt attackers back into the middle, how to create an overlap, second man, mousetrap, Cumberland throw, etc, and a million others. But in AFL I know nothing.

I heard on commentary its better to attack a mark and risk getting knees in the back than to fade backwards in the hope it will go over your opponents head. All the stuff like that in AFL I need to know.

Where do you get this stuff? Someone must have written some good tactical AFL literature?

dyl_tigerman

All Australian
Veteran Richmond Tigers - Mark Coughlan 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 21, 2008
the Great Southern Stand
AFL Club
Richmond
hmmm i see what you mean.. i guess i take for granted that i have learnt that from growing up with the game.... ill hunt around in my bookshelf i remember reading one that talked about that stuff.. like the lingo.. if not i guess the amount of people of here im sure we could put together some sort of glossary type thing with links to clips etc...
give me a couple days and ill see what i can find/work out

May 29, 2012
Scotland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Kingdom Kangaroos, Sandy Zebras
Where do you get this stuff? Someone must have written some good tactical AFL literature?

Post back up here if you find anything. I'm in similar situation; I'm a level 3 coach in one sport and basic qualifications (enough to do school 'taster' session) in others. But with AFL there is barely any materials. Which is crazy - anyone could learn the basic coaching techniques for Lecrosse or Volleyball in a week just by getting the info online/books. There must be both tactical and technical help out there.
I thought I couldn't find it, as I'm on the other side of the world. Our libraries aren't going to have any footy kicking manuals. But maybe there's just not the materials we're looking for out there?

Might be of help, here are some things I've either found, or figured out for myself through a combination of analysing game film (live games on a wide-angle lens better than TV games) and applying some universal concepts:

Some principles are universal; width and space (one creating the other) are the same in any ball sport. Same with communication and positioning, and "communicating your position". My background was more Rugby Union but we borrowed some things from RL. On edge of rucks, we'd call a "pillar" and a "post" - men 1 and 2 from the ruck. 1 stops anyone crashing round the side, 2 is to apply pressure to ball and outwards. Everyone else then identifies their man outwards from there. Again similar principles will apply in AFL - communicating where you are, where you're going. If teammate has ball and you can see space, call "out in front" and point. Likewise if opponent has ball and everyone's running back towards your own posts, identify who you'll track with on the way.
And something I just learnt this week - teach the kid not to be lazy; if they're an athlete, when they are heading back towards their own posts don't track the closest player, cos that's easy. Work hard and take the next person down the ground, leave the guy further up the ground for someone else to work back to. Teammates (the smart ones) appreciate that; by working harder he's saved a teammate a few yards of running.

When you kick the ball forwards, follow it. Work hard to get it back in your hands. In rugby I was taught "touch it twice in a phase and we'll score - touch it 3 times in a phase and you'll touch it down yourself". It's similar in AFL in my experience, people will only chase you so far, if you can run hard enough to 'catch up' your own kick within a few seconds, you become an overlap.
But if you handball it, don't follow it as that shuts down space - instead look immediately behind your teammate to see if you can cut off any pursuit with a shepherd - again teammates (and coaches) appreciate that. If you can't get across to him, or you can see there is no pursuit behind him, then branch off at an angle. Don't just run straight up the ground towards the posts. That's where everyone who doesn't think about the game goes - it's almost amusing on film watching 7 people all run in an almost straight line, none on either team giving real chase nor support. Get off the straight line; you never know, 40 metres on and you might become the crucial option.

Also as a general physiology thing I've noticed; it's important to be good with handball off both hands; if you receive a ball to your right side, it is more efficient to turn that way, catch primarily with the right and handball on using the left hand. If you turn to the right then twist the body back around to handball with the right hand, that's a wasted half-second. Efficiency of movement again is a key thing, just like quick hands to get the ball wide if you have an overlap in rugby.

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
Post back up here if you find anything. I'm in similar situation; I'm a level 3 coach in one sport and basic qualifications (enough to do school 'taster' session) in others. But with AFL there is barely any materials. Which is crazy - anyone could learn the basic coaching techniques for Lecrosse or Volleyball in a week just by getting the info online/books. There must be both tactical and technical help out there.
I thought I couldn't find it, as I'm on the other side of the world. Our libraries aren't going to have any footy kicking manuals. But maybe there's just not the materials we're looking for out there?

Might be of help, here are some things I've either found, or figured out for myself through a combination of analysing game film (live games on a wide-angle lens better than TV games) and applying some universal concepts:

Some principles are universal; width and space (one creating the other) are the same in any ball sport. Same with communication and positioning, and "communicating your position". My background was more Rugby Union but we borrowed some things from RL. On edge of rucks, we'd call a "pillar" and a "post" - men 1 and 2 from the ruck. 1 stops anyone crashing round the side, 2 is to apply pressure to ball and outwards. Everyone else then identifies their man outwards from there. Again similar principles will apply in AFL - communicating where you are, where you're going. If teammate has ball and you can see space, call "out in front" and point. Likewise if opponent has ball and everyone's running back towards your own posts, identify who you'll track with on the way.
And something I just learnt this week - teach the kid not to be lazy; if they're an athlete, when they are heading back towards their own posts don't track the closest player, cos that's easy. Work hard and take the next person down the ground, leave the guy further up the ground for someone else to work back to. Teammates (the smart ones) appreciate that; by working harder he's saved a teammate a few yards of running.

When you kick the ball forwards, follow it. Work hard to get it back in your hands. In rugby I was taught "touch it twice in a phase and we'll score - touch it 3 times in a phase and you'll touch it down yourself". It's similar in AFL in my experience, people will only chase you so far, if you can run hard enough to 'catch up' your own kick within a few seconds, you become an overlap.
But if you handball it, don't follow it as that shuts down space - instead look immediately behind your teammate to see if you can cut off any pursuit with a shepherd - again teammates (and coaches) appreciate that. If you can't get across to him, or you can see there is no pursuit behind him, then branch off at an angle. Don't just run straight up the ground towards the posts. That's where everyone who doesn't think about the game goes - it's almost amusing on film watching 7 people all run in an almost straight line, none on either team giving real chase nor support. Get off the straight line; you never know, 40 metres on and you might become the crucial option.

Also as a general physiology thing I've noticed; it's important to be good with handball off both hands; if you receive a ball to your right side, it is more efficient to turn that way, catch primarily with the right and handball on using the left hand. If you turn to the right then twist the body back around to handball with the right hand, that's a wasted half-second. Efficiency of movement again is a key thing, just like quick hands to get the ball wide if you have an overlap in rugby

That is an excellent post. Exactly the sort of stuff im looking for.

thethinkingcat

Senior List
May 20, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If you want to read about the game as in studying it get your hands on the latest Season Guide. It's gold and it's something that would be right up your ally Tigernova

May 29, 2012
Scotland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Kingdom Kangaroos, Sandy Zebras
If you want to read about the game as in studying it get your hands on the latest Season Guide. It's gold and it's something that would be right up your ally Tigernova

Isn't that just stats about the AFL?

What Tigernova and myself are looking for, is how to teach fundamentals and structures that are relevant to the game. A coaching manual that lays out things that playes of certain positions ought to be capable of, drills that will help them develop those skills, entire team structures that take advantage of certain strengths/player types, and then how to fit the players you have, with their developing skills, into that team structure.

bkozican

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2011
W.A
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
It is only now that I know how privileged we are to grow up learning the game from day 1.

Just a quick run down,

The first couple of years are learning the basics.....handballs, kicking, marking (chest and with your hands up). One thing we always got told was learn to kick/handball on both sides of your body.

Forwards - I would have them leading off a pack of players with witch hats or people standing in the 50. Learn how to lead and identify space in the forward 50

Mids - Work in close.....Handball drills with 4 angles all running through each other. First one to drop it does push ups. Pick ups , dribble the ball on the ground to a running player, One grab pick up to a leading forward. You want to resemble in game plays.

Defence (the best part) - Spoiling contests. Kick out plays and ways to have your defence working as a team....Not just one on ones.

I just wrote that in 10 mins, will elaborate more when I get home. I hope this helps a little bit or makes one think of more/better ideas

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
The AFL board game just arrived by courier. I'll do a review of it in a week or two after the kids have finished fighting over it, and they finally settle down and play the game..

Phoenixguard09

Debutant
May 28, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Your mileage may vary, but my little brother and I got a lot of use out of AFL Live, specifically the Big Ant one. At the very least, it's a bit of fun.

General Soreness

Awkward Squad
Aug 30, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hi all.

"This section contains a wide variety of material, including coaching manuals, as well as fitness and training handbooks. Motivational guides and psychological aspects of the game are also included, along with manuals for administrators, officials and umpires. Coaching books are generally instructional in style, with many diagrams and photographs. However, Australian football literature is characterised by numerous works with eclectic content, including material on coaching, history, player biographies and records or statistics within a single volume. Such works have been put in the 'History' section."

http://www.readingthegame.org/coaching-and-playing.html

Shagzz

Senior List
Nov 12, 2010
Werribee
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You will probably get a lot of benefit from going down to some local games of footy and just listening to different coaches at each break.

WCEswift

Premiership Player
Apr 3, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Philly Eagles, Boston Red Sox
Hi all.
this entire series is basic but very well made

Back