Best 22 in 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting that when asked about tall forward options in the presser yesterday Leon named Stewart who came on late last year, McCarthy who debuted and then he said Phillips is busting to get a game and then there's Lobb (and only later did he mention Tomlinson (who's best position I think is that big tall swingman wingman anyway)

The positivity around Sauce I found quite interesting because he's one of my favourites. So barring injuries I think Phillips might be getting a few games as the second ruck resting forward (it's his forward work that needs work - whereas McCarthy and Stewart it's the ruck work they don't have) swings and roundabouts.

Checked old Dogs and Lions lineups for Griffen and Patfull's positions.
No use checking our lineups cause they change radically every week.
What's up with that? Is he blooding young 'uns out of position on purpose?
I hope that stops this year. What do you guys think is it a strategy or a deficiency?

-----------------------------BEST 22------------------------------------
B: Kennedy(331), Davis (383), Patfull (148)

HB: Shaw (99), Ward (22), Hampton (333)

M: Shiel (122), Treloar (61), Scully (153)

R: Griffen (05), Mumford (94), Greene (219)

HF: Coniglio(265) Tomlinson (362), Whitfield (262)

F: Smith(86), Cameron(182), WHE (312)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
INT: Kelly (436), Stewart (664), Bugg (400)

SUB: Palmer (303),
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
INJ: Nick Haynes (414) , Tim Mohr (306),

GONE: Hunt, Gilham, Frost, Jaksch, O'Rourke, Giles, Whiley

if where going to have a good year next year we need adam tomlinson, james stewart and cam mccarthy at leat one of theme kick 35 to 40 goals to help jeremy cameron out.

What do people think about scully playing a forward 50 role this year... Something similar to Rhys palmer. With whitfield and Kelly running up and down the wings and with our abundance of clearance players, I can't see him keeping a spot in the midfield. With his speed, agility and endurance though I can see him posing a real threat inside 50. Also, he would have the smallest frame out of our midfielders... Which puts him at a disadvantage. Working in tandem with Devon smith, they could be very damaging and apply a lot of pressure.

What do people think about scully playing a forward 50 role this year... Something similar to Rhys palmer. With whitfield and Kelly running up and down the wings and with our abundance of clearance players, I can't see him keeping a spot in the midfield. With his speed, agility and endurance though I can see him posing a real threat inside 50. Also, he would have the smallest frame out of our midfielders... Which puts him at a disadvantage. Working in tandem with Devon smith, they could be very damaging and apply a lot of pressure.

Scully, Whitfield and Kelly all playing the 'running winger' role means the three of them can keep running and overlapping and running and breaking and running and running back and running and running, because one of the three can be resting in a pocket or on the bench at all times.

Why is our best inside mid continually put in the centre half back role in these?
Because Greene's effectiveness drops off a cliff if he plays anywhere off the ball while Ward's doesn't. He isn't our best inside-mid so much as our best player fullstop. He can use his experience and class in the spine at centre half back like he did in the first year. The combination of Greene on ball and Ward at halfback is greater than Ward on ball and Greene anywhere else. That's why I do it.

Because he is "blooding young 'uns out of position on purpose" ?

What? You don't think my querying our constantly shifting lineups is a legitimate question?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scully, Whitfield and Kelly all playing the 'running winger' role means the three of them can keep running and overlapping and running and breaking and running and running back and running and running, because one of the three can be resting in a pocket or on the bench at all times.
We also have Tomlinson and hoskin Elliot who rolll through that area as well though. I just think because scully is the quickest and most agile out of those that his skill set would be beneficial in the forward 50.

Last edited:
Because Greene's effectiveness drops off a cliff if he plays anywhere off the ball while Ward's doesn't. He isn't our best inside-mid so much as our best player fullstop. He can use his experience and class in the spine at centre half back like he did in the first year. The combination of Greene on ball and Ward at halfback is greater than Ward on ball and Greene anywhere else. That's why I do it.
He would be playing on guys who are up to 12cms taller. I respectfully disagree that this is an option for us.

What? You don't think my querying our constantly shifting lineups is a legitimate question?

GWS, like most teams these days, simply doesnt have players in the old positions.

What you see 'constantly shifting lineups', I see a pretty constant 'two tall defenders, two medium defenders, one loose man in the backline, one big wing, one running wing, one key forward, one forward/ruck' and so on.

Two things opposition teams are really going to fear playing GWS is:

A bruising encounter around the ball, and
Being run off their feet.

Opposition coaches will be hoping for 7-8 day breaks after playing us :)

I see a pretty constant 'two tall defenders, two medium defenders, one loose man in the backline, one big wing, one running wing, one key forward, one forward/ruck' and so on.

That clears up the Callan Ward position, he's never a tall defender, but he could evolve into the Luke Hodge prototype_third man up, loose man in defence, king of the one percent'ers etc.. the modern inspirational captain.

That clears up the Callan Ward position, he's never a tall defender, but he could evolve into the Luke Hodge prototype_third man up, loose man in defence, king of the one percent'ers etc.. the modern inspirational captain.

On the other hand, we could just rotate him through the midfield, like all the other midfielders.

I can see where you are going with this. Cal is a smidge taller, but lighter. Thing is, he isn't as good over his head as Hodge, so would need to improve there. Probably needs to add 4-5 kg to earn the contested marks that Hodge does. Essentially, he would have to reshape his body and play a different type of game. Not worth it when you have intercept marks like Patfull, Heater and WTF 1and 2. I reckon Bunts could do a similar role too.

i like the sound of ward playing a luke hodge roll.

i reckon tom scully would be playing in the giants team next year just because he gets a million dollars a year. And they dont want to waste the money so they play him if he didnt get payed so much money i wouldnt know if he would play often.

out of all tom buggs games this year i thought he played his best when he played half back flank and got like 33 disposals.

Ward proved he is on track to being an elite mid. With another year under him and griffen to help he is only getting better... To play him anywhere else but in the guts is ludicrous

Remove this Banner Ad

Back