List Mgmt. If GWS Snaffle up Laverde with pick 4 then who do we take?

Remove this Banner Ad

MightyPies1

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
It seems that most posters believe we should get Laverde, it's almost consensus but it's about 50/50 GWS will be strategic with their picks and choose Laverde even if they think he's not the best get at 4, that is if we think Laverde is the best fit for us.

So for Laverde lovers, if he's gone by our pick which is very possible, and if McCartin, Brayshaw and Petracca are gone too, with the reality that Wright isn't appealing or fitting such a need, who do we take?

Last edited:
If you go by Paige's phantom draft she projected that his place is anywhere between us and pick 20, so i'm hoping that they don't rate him as top 7. It wouldn't be a suprise if they weren't keen on him at all.

I think they will draft on a needs basis as they already have enough young project mids, so they will take Wright to replace Boyd, Lever to sure up the backline and then either Durdin to further sure up their defence or the best available mid, which is Ahern.

But in any case I think Picket or Weller would have to be the front runners.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Lever. He's not necessarily the type of player we 'need' but from a best available stand point and from a type of person (desire, work rate etc) stand point, I think we'll seriously look at taking him. Especially if we want to swing Reid forward long term and if Scharenberg projects as a midfielder/utility more than a backman/utility.

Otherwise I'm interested in Lachie Weller. He's not really someone who projects as having an extremely high ceiling, but he's a type who has a very rounded game and whether he improves a little bit as he grows or matures or if he improves a lot, he's someone who will have a long career of good to very good football. He's a safe bet but also a good one, in my opinion.

We should have traded to get pick 2/3 to guarantee McCartin as the future Cloke replacement. I would have traded 5 + Lumumba to get it and forego Varcoe. However now we're stuck with it, it's next best midfielder when it's our turn considering no decent forward potential at that pick

I like Picket but I think he's a glorified forward pocket who has been given midfield time to some degree of success. Not worth pick 5 in my opinion even though he may project to a Cyril Rioli status (but probably not).

I like Picket but I think he's a glorified forward pocket who has been given midfield time to some degree of success. Not worth pick 5 in my opinion even though he may project to a Cyril Rioli status (but probably not).

Jarrod Pickett is more a Lewis Jetta type winger with a better inside game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jarrod Pickett is more a Lewis Jetta type winger with a better inside game.
I can see that but I don't think he's done well enough for me to think highly of him in that position. If we were to draft him, he'd start his career in the forward pocket and slowly move up the ground. I do like him, I just don't think he's worth pick 5.

I can see that but I don't think he's done well enough for me to think highly of him in that position. If we were to draft him, he'd start his career in the forward pocket and slowly move up the ground. I do like him, I just don't think he's worth pick 5.

Laverde will be like that too.

Wright. * GWS if they try and be clever about it. Getting Wright on top of Moore gives us a dominant forward line for the next decade.

Grab a mid with pick 30 or in next years draft if one of the two best KPF's is still available at 5.

Get Wright and use him as trade bait over the next 2 years if he's surplus to our needs.

He'll hold his trade value in the short term.

Get Wright and use him as trade bait over the next 2 years if he's surplus to our needs.

He'll hold his trade value in the short term.

Why put money and development into a bloke to just trade in 2 years?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back