List Mgmt. 2014 Rookie Draft - Diamonds in the rough...

Remove this Banner Ad

dangermitchrobinson!!!! warning warning!!!!
danger-Will-Robinson.gif

Last edited:

Which he lied to the coaching staff about. He's also been in fights before that.

We don't need ready to play types in midfield, we need KPP's that are ready to play.
See I just think Robinson brings more to any side than Suban does. Sure Suban has got a good left hoof but he can't get the ball and all his bravado is for nothing. Robinson can actually get 20+ disposals, kick goals and lays the hard wood in tackles.
I don't think Robinson is a messiah by any means but I believe he makes our list stronger.

See I just think Robinson brings more to any side than Suban does. Sure Suban has got a good left hoof but he can't get the ball and all his bravado is for nothing. Robinson can actually get 20+ disposals, kick goals and lays the hard wood in tackles.
I don't think Robinson is a messiah by any means but I believe he makes our list stronger.
I agree that Robinson is better than Suban, but Suban's a fringe player, we don't need to increase our depth, we need to improve our best 22.

Am sure to get shot down but reckon Bootsma. Playing for Peel anyway as a KPD anyway, AFL experience, has family support/ kick in the pants if needs be with the old man. He says he's willing to give it his all and 3 years on the Rookie list on minimum chips will see if he's really willing and RTB would be more than capable to be the one to put a rocket up him.
no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

He wasn't even a good player before he got delisted for being an idiot. 3 years on the rookie list still isn't going to make him best 22... we have tonnes of depth players better than him. Given the absolute gold we've managed to rookie list in the past e.g. Sandi, Barlow & Spurr, I hope we use our rookie spots to find those roughies hanging out in the state leagues that've been overlooked & become superstars for us.

I would think he's simply too thick for our gameplan.
Those scholars down at Parry Street! You don't have to very intelligent to play AFL or understand plans. Everyone was confused by Harvey and now everyone understands Lyon. That's because the latter has simple, cliche-heavy rules that he harps on about and easy to follow instructions. The least of Robinson's problems was his intelligence – and if you actually listen to him speak, he isn't that dumb. There'd be a dozen worse than him at Freo. At least.

I don't really care either way if we get him, but he isn't the worst player out there. There's a reason players don't feel the confidence to talk to their clubs about indiscretions. The same way there are reasons why game-starved, skinny 21-year olds like Josh Bootsma decide not to play a game of AFL. Plus, there were those murmurs about Mick and his boy's club, so *, it's not like he's bending against the strict but communal Geelong, Hawks, or Swans.

I not a massive fan of Suban, but at least he's not a compete d!ck...like what Robinson is made out to be...

For that reason alone, I'll be taking Subes any day of the week. Metro's Freo would be the biggest benefactor of recruiting Robinson to Freo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am no expert but what I have seen of the WAFL and the guys I know I would look at these guys for rookie spots:

Marcus Adams (West Perth) - If he is nominating himself that is. KPF/2nd Ruck Beast. I like him but given he didn't get an invite to the state screening maybe he is not on the radar at all.
Shane Yarran (Subiaco) - Mature Age mid. Out of jail now and has a point to prove, has class.
Ricky Carey (Swans) - Talented KPF but needs to eat several horses. Slight concern he could be the next Tony Notte but has talent.
Cameron Loersch (Sowfs) - 203 cm 96 kg KPF/2nd ruck. Grew 20 cm in the last year so probably still getting used to his body. Played all his junior footy in the forward line.

I am no expert but what I have seen of the WAFL and the guys I know I would look at these guys for rookie spots:

Marcus Adams (West Perth) - If he is nominating himself that is. KPF/2nd Ruck Beast. I like him but given he didn't get an invite to the state screening maybe he is not on the radar at all.
Shane Yarran (Subiaco) - Mature Age mid. Out of jail now and has a point to prove, has class.
Ricky Carey (Swans) - Talented KPF but needs to eat several horses. Slight concern he could be the next Tony Notte but has talent.
Cameron Loersch (Sowfs) - 203 cm 96 kg KPF/2nd ruck. Grew 20 cm in the last year so probably still getting used to his body. Played all his junior footy in the forward line.

Loersch is the only one I've seen anything of, and he looks like he could be serviceable. The hit rate on KPFs from the rookie draft is pretty poor though (Tabs, although not completely proven yet, is the exception rather than the rule).

Ricky Cary has talent, but is from the Notte school of Carb Loading.. or lack thereof.. would take him years to put on enough weight to be competitive at the top level.

Ricky Cary has talent, but is from the Notte school of Carb Loading.. or lack thereof.. would take him years to put on enough weight to be competitive at the top level.
Yeh that is the risk with him certainly hence my reference to Notte.

Rookie draft will also depend on what we get in the main draft and who is not taken in the draft - there is always some left over and I reckon Clem Smith might be one. Mids like Yarran are probably more likely to fill needs so it will probably be along those lines.

Doing a basic study of rookie drafts, except from super drafts, that mature age rookie seem to make it more than some 18 yr project. The 18 yr players who do make it, tell to have attitude problems and being rookie drafted wakes them up.

IMO we should add 'ready-made' players to our rookie list this year while drafting the kids in the national draft. My thinking on this is that the 'ready-made' players can more readily cover for injuries. Wood/Vandeleur for example was no chance of getting a game this year and it would have been handy to have a previous AFL player or two on that list.

IMO we should add 'ready-made' players to our rookie list this year while drafting the kids in the national draft. My thinking on this is that the 'ready-made' players can more readily cover for injuries. Wood/Vandeleur for example was no chance of getting a game this year and it would have been handy to have a previous AFL player or two on that list.

Couldn't agree more especially KPs that take longer to develop and have 3 years experience on an AFL list. I just keep thinking about how well Schulz has done at Port. Wouldn't mind grapping one of the delisted Geelong forwards just announced, article says Hamling finished third in the B&F.

Couldn't agree more especially KPs that take longer to develop and have 3 years experience on an AFL list. I just keep thinking about how well Schulz has done at Port. Wouldn't mind grapping one of the delisted Geelong forwards just announced, article says Hamling finished third in the B&F.

West Aussie boy, too.

Hunt, Brown and Hamling delisted by Geelong today, for what it's worth. Link here.

Hunt will get picked up as a delisted FA i would have though.

If he is keen to continue his career in WA i'd be keen for Brown to end up on our R/L.

Hunt will get picked up as a delisted FA i would have though.

If he is keen to continue his career in WA i'd be keen for Brown to end up on our R/L.
I would probably be more keen on Hamling than Brown. Brown has been in the system for about 5 or so years and really hasn't taken his opportunities. Hamling on the other hand has only been in the system for two years and he was picked up as more of a project player as he was so skinny when picked. I think he could develop into a pretty good KPD. I like the look of his videos anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back