News Dogs throw pigeon among the Cats with Tom Boyd

Remove this Banner Ad

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Very interesting article, which indicates Tom Hawkins is a possible flight risk with free agency:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...g-the-cats-with-tom-boyd-20141019-118di3.html

Tom Boyd's contract worth AUD6m over 6 years raises the bar for Tom Hawkins next contract as he enters free agency at the end of 2015. Boyd's only played 9 games with 8 goals, yet his contract is one of the largest offered in the AFL.

Tom Hawkins is a 2 time premiership player, multiple top goal kicker for the club, winner of the club B&F, and All Australian, whilst entering free agency at the end of 2015. Hawkins is in the prime years of his career, and will no doubt be fielding large contract offers for his services in what you would think are larger than Boyd's contract.

Whilst recruiting Clark and Stanley were intended to provide relief to our depleted and injury prone ruck stocks, but the also boost our key forward stocks to support Tom Hawkins. However, was recruiting Clark and Stanley also some forward planning to also provide cover for the potential loss of Hawkins to another club as a result of free agency?

There is no doubt a number of veterans at GFC will retire at the end of 2015, which will provide some salary relief to ensure our top players are renumerated adequately and in line with the market. Let's hope Hawkins remains a one club player and legend of the club.

At the age of 27 next season, he's easily worth a 5 year contract in excess of the Boyd deal.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it today's AFL we can never say never.

Where all talking about possibly getting Dangerfield at the end of the year. Don't we think that the Adelaide supporters are saying similar things to us here about Tom?

I hope he stays but we have to keep our minds open to the possibility that the old days of the AFL are over, any player can move if the offer they get is big enough.

After losing Ablett and Christensen, two of the last players I ever thought would leave us, I don't think you can say never.

But it would have to be a low probability. I think our relationship with Hawk is good and he will paid handsomely. His contract should be on equal terms to Selwood.

I think the last line in that column is probably the best one. Bulldogs have created a problem more for themselves, not other clubs.

Why not?
The AFL landscape has changed forever after the Ablett Junior trade. We are talking about one of the premier power forwards in the competition who is arguably the best at his trade. Why can't he get paid every single cent he is worth in today's open market?

I personally hate it myself as he's the most valuable asset on our list (bar Selwood) but he's entitled to make as most as he possibly can.

Didn't say he won't mate, but it won't be by us.

We have a fair amount of cap space now and it will get bigger, He would have to get a Franklin Type deal to leave imo. I would rather Tom stay and we don't get Danger (though hopefully we can have both)

Never say never though.

Last edited:
I think it today's AFL we can never say never.

Where all talking about possibly getting Dangerfield at the end of the year. Don't we think that the Adelaide supporters are saying similar things to us here about Tom?

I hope he stays but we have to keep our minds open to the possibility that the old days of the AFL are over, any player can move if the offer they get is big enough.
Surely he'll stay if he gives a verbal agreement?

I stand both mathematically challenged, and corrected.
I thought you were comparing games played- which might've been a bit greedy- so I went smaller and did the "goals kicked" ratio. Sorry- wasn't trying to belittle your calculations, R. :)

I think that we should blame Sydney, with their recruitment of Tippett and Buddy. Once the big $$$$ started getting thrown around, it seems everyone wants a slice of the AFL pie.

Up go the memberships... :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back