Mega Thread Delist/Trade/Draft Supermegaultrathread - Now Starts A Long Offseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

If we don't go a mid I would only really be happy with a KPD (if we went tall). Durdin or Goddard I would be okay with, should the club deem them good enough.

I would prefer a good midfielder at the pick naturally but at the end of the day I would prefer a quality project KPD than reaching for someone like DeGoey.

fc389986a7644989ede0526488dad526.jpg

Interestingly, Knightmare also mentioned (emphasis mine):

If you think of Cockatoo as a taller Varcoe that's about right. There is no one position that he looks fantastic, but boy can he ever break the lines with ball in hand.

Which suggests there is still some chance we might take him this draft if available. The highlights reel looks good but I'm not convinced that will translate at senior AFL level, he'll be closed down far more often and will probably have much less of a size advantage on most of his opponents compared to in that video. Looks to have good hands though, there were some points where most players would have dropped the ball or let it get wrapped up in a tackle but he kept it under control.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be very interested to hear his thoughts!

Waterman I liked in 2013. Had a terrific 2013 season and that big final. Really looked terrific with his size and dominant colts form.

Just has failed this year to take that next step and play at League level or add anything to his game.

--
*apologies for the poor formatting - it happens that way with copy/paste and don't have the time to re-format it but this is my Waterman bio.

Draft board position 48...
48. Alec Waterman (WCE – F/S – WA - Mid)Height: 183cm, Weight: 87kg, DOB: 19/08/1996
Recruited from: Claremont
Draft range: Late
Best position/role: Midfield – on the ball.
Strengths: Ability to win the ground ball – Waterman is a ground ball winning monster. He is excellent below the knees and just goes down hard at the ball and really puts all his weight into it, to more often than not win the ground ball. He does not get knocked off the ball with the sheer weight he puts over the ball.
Inside game - Waterman is a high volume contested ball winner and clearance winner and uses his size to advantage as someone who will consistently go in hard to win the contested ball.
Big game player – Waterman has performed strongly in some big games. Last year Waterman had a career game during the Preliminary Final and then was best on ground in the Grand Final and similarly this year he has backed up last year’s performances with further consistently strong finals performances.
Ability forward of centre – Waterman while he is best utilised through the midfield he has also shown more so in the past that he is capable of providing some strong scoreboard impact when played in the front half scoring 14 goals, 7 behinds in 2013 and 6 goals and 13 behinds in 2014 in the WA colts from his 15 games in each season.
Endurance – While not quick or agile Waterman has excellent endurance and runs all day. He seemingly gets to every contest and also at times finds some space on the outside.
Footskills –
Waterman when he has time and space on the outside to assess his options is generally an above average kick to a target. He has above average penetration out to around 55m and shows at times good vision finding some inside 50 targets and his execution similarly is good. He can use both sides as required. Where he typically has trouble is when he has limited time and space on the inside, where he will just no look, jam it onto hit boot in a wish and hope that it will find a target. He is also a capable finisher both from set shot attempts and from general play.
Weaknesses:Pace and agility – Waterman has a small burst of pace he can use for 5-10m inside the contest but other than that his pace is limited. He is not a threat to take on the game and break the lines with his run and carry outside the contest and he has a limited overall top speed. He also lacks agility as someone who has a limited change of direction and a large turning circle.
Transition running – Waterman too often is slow running back in transition and his opponents too often get goal side of him, particularly when the ball gets turned over, his lack of pace can really get exploited.
Work by hand – While he is a big bodied, inside extractor by type some of his work by hand I have found to be particularly poor. He is a very one sided player and if you get hold of his preferred arm he will not get it away. His handballing to a target also often is not weighted correctly often dropping short of the target or slightly missing. He also lacks the awareness of who is around him and he too often will handball to a target who is under the pump and about to get tackled.
Tackling ability – Waterman for someone who spends so much time around the ball only has average tackle numbers. He also does not have the strength in his tackles, as big as he is to bury guys into the ground and make them feel his tackles as much as should be the case so his tackling his something he will need to put some further work into.
No proven form v senior WAFL League competition – Despite being a dominant player for a couple of seasons now Waterman has not even had so much as a taste for senior WAFL League competition and has been stuck in the WA Colts competition again this year. Given this there is the assumption surrounding him of “he just wins the ball because he is bigger than everyone else” and until we see him against the better competition those with that doubt may be right given his longstanding size superiority against the other U18s. What I expect will improve:I expect Waterman to really work on his decision making under pressure and execution by hand and also to become a stronger tackler. As a big, slow type it is unlikely that that will change and at this stage that size superiority plays a central part in making him who he is as someone who puts that totality of his weight over the ball in order to win it. So likely it will be just refining and tweaking what he currently does and looking to continue to improve on that. As such a physically developed player already his upside is probably on the low end as someone where we have a pretty good idea now as to who he is.
Who he can become?Alec Waterman has the scope to develop into something like a poor man’s Brent Moloney.
When will he be ready to play?Waterman in season two will be pushing for senior matches and season three will be hoping to start to receive consideration for regular senior AFL selection. As big as he is the lack of WAFL League footy and lack of a complete game will play against him.
How to best utilise him?Waterman is best utilised on the ball through the midfield.
Interpretation of his numbers:

His numbers both through the U18 Championships and WA Colts level have been strong these past couple of seasons, with his contested ball winning numbers particularly outstanding. He provides at WA Colts level good scoreboard impact for a midfielder. His marks per game numbers are good. His tackle per game numbers are currently average by position and should be better given his type of game and how much time he spends around the ball. His disposal efficiency is below average and even for an onballer should be better.

Watching the Collingwood at home game.

Sheeds disposal and decision making has been fantastic in this second half.
Confident he will be a regular player next year.
Yeah, he's just lacking a little bit of composure (which is understandable), especially around goals.

Really looking forward to what kind of progress he can make in regards to next year and hopefully we see more of him at AFL level. I expect him and Waterman will make quite the on-ball tag-team for years to come.

Yeah, he's just lacking a little bit of composure (which is understandable), especially around goals.

Really looking forward to what kind of progress he can make in regards to next year and hopefully we see more of him at AFL level. I expect him and Waterman will make quite the on-ball tag-team for years to come.

Yeah has lacked that finishing quality in front of the sticks

cockatoo is a must at pick 11. even nth melb forum are worried he will go b4 their 1st at 16. Hes the big guy we need. We can draft gun wingers with 2nd and 3rd round picks. Pickett may slide to our 2nd round if his msg to the east has scared them enough. Dont think dockers will go him with 1st most likely a key position player.

I did a search for Duggin on the AFL site and got a zero result.

Duggan at 11 would be fine by me as I've previously posted.

Good size, good pace and a very good left foot and high disposal efficiency. A true mutli positional player and likes kicking goals. Would start off in a back pocket / bench rotation and would need a couple of years to play more midfield.

Sure he's no Pickett but he has the tools to be a very good player. Voted MVP by his AIS teammates after the European tour which says something as well.

Waterman I liked in 2013. Had a terrific 2013 season and that big final. Really looked terrific with his size and dominant colts form.

Just has failed this year to take that next step and play at League level or add anything to his game.

--
*apologies for the poor formatting - it happens that way with copy/paste and don't have the time to re-format it but this is my Waterman bio.

Draft board position 48...
48. Alec Waterman (WCE – F/S – WA - Mid)Height: 183cm, Weight: 87kg, DOB: 19/08/1996
Recruited from: Claremont
Draft range: Late
Best position/role: Midfield – on the ball.
Strengths: Ability to win the ground ball – Waterman is a ground ball winning monster. He is excellent below the knees and just goes down hard at the ball and really puts all his weight into it, to more often than not win the ground ball. He does not get knocked off the ball with the sheer weight he puts over the ball.
Inside game - Waterman is a high volume contested ball winner and clearance winner and uses his size to advantage as someone who will consistently go in hard to win the contested ball.
Big game player – Waterman has performed strongly in some big games. Last year Waterman had a career game during the Preliminary Final and then was best on ground in the Grand Final and similarly this year he has backed up last year’s performances with further consistently strong finals performances.
Ability forward of centre – Waterman while he is best utilised through the midfield he has also shown more so in the past that he is capable of providing some strong scoreboard impact when played in the front half scoring 14 goals, 7 behinds in 2013 and 6 goals and 13 behinds in 2014 in the WA colts from his 15 games in each season.
Endurance – While not quick or agile Waterman has excellent endurance and runs all day. He seemingly gets to every contest and also at times finds some space on the outside.
Footskills – Waterman when he has time and space on the outside to assess his options is generally an above average kick to a target. He has above average penetration out to around 55m and shows at times good vision finding some inside 50 targets and his execution similarly is good. He can use both sides as required. Where he typically has trouble is when he has limited time and space on the inside, where he will just no look, jam it onto hit boot in a wish and hope that it will find a target. He is also a capable finisher both from set shot attempts and from general play.
Weaknesses:Pace and agility – Waterman has a small burst of pace he can use for 5-10m inside the contest but other than that his pace is limited. He is not a threat to take on the game and break the lines with his run and carry outside the contest and he has a limited overall top speed. He also lacks agility as someone who has a limited change of direction and a large turning circle.
Transition running – Waterman too often is slow running back in transition and his opponents too often get goal side of him, particularly when the ball gets turned over, his lack of pace can really get exploited.
Work by hand – While he is a big bodied, inside extractor by type some of his work by hand I have found to be particularly poor. He is a very one sided player and if you get hold of his preferred arm he will not get it away. His handballing to a target also often is not weighted correctly often dropping short of the target or slightly missing. He also lacks the awareness of who is around him and he too often will handball to a target who is under the pump and about to get tackled.
Tackling ability – Waterman for someone who spends so much time around the ball only has average tackle numbers. He also does not have the strength in his tackles, as big as he is to bury guys into the ground and make them feel his tackles as much as should be the case so his tackling his something he will need to put some further work into.
No proven form v senior WAFL League competition –
Despite being a dominant player for a couple of seasons now Waterman has not even had so much as a taste for senior WAFL League competition and has been stuck in the WA Colts competition again this year. Given this there is the assumption surrounding him of “he just wins the ball because he is bigger than everyone else” and until we see him against the better competition those with that doubt may be right given his longstanding size superiority against the other U18s.
What I expect will improve:I expect Waterman to really work on his decision making under pressure and execution by hand and also to become a stronger tackler. As a big, slow type it is unlikely that that will change and at this stage that size superiority plays a central part in making him who he is as someone who puts that totality of his weight over the ball in order to win it. So likely it will be just refining and tweaking what he currently does and looking to continue to improve on that. As such a physically developed player already his upside is probably on the low end as someone where we have a pretty good idea now as to who he is.
Who he can become?Alec Waterman has the scope to develop into something like a poor man’s Brent Moloney.
When will he be ready to play?Waterman in season two will be pushing for senior matches and season three will be hoping to start to receive consideration for regular senior AFL selection. As big as he is the lack of WAFL League footy and lack of a complete game will play against him.
How to best utilise him?Waterman is best utilised on the ball through the midfield.
Interpretation of his numbers:
His numbers both through the U18 Championships and WA Colts level have been strong these past couple of seasons, with his contested ball winning numbers particularly outstanding. He provides at WA Colts level good scoreboard impact for a midfielder. His marks per game numbers are good. His tackle per game numbers are currently average by position and should be better given his type of game and how much time he spends around the ball. His disposal efficiency is below average and even for an onballer should be better.

Thanks Knightmare, love your work as always. I think you're overplaying his production based on the WCE fix, but that was the point. I think we got a 1st round talent for very cheap and wouldn't be surprised to see him get a few games next year. I think he'll be a lot better than "poor man's Moloney".

Okay, have just re-watched Cockatoo's highlights reel. In the words of Iron Man on meeting Black Widow:

"I want one."

Actually reminds me of Dustin Martin (the palm-offs!) but with extra pace. Size-wise, looks ready to start.

I definitely saw a bit of Martin in the highlights as well - kind of wish we chased Martin harder, but I get the no campaigners policy is there for a reason... As long as it keeps out the Lumumbas as well.

Would be super happy with either Pickett or Cockatoo with the first; they look dangerous, have pace and kicking skills seem solid for both. I just want us to take a pick who will cause some trouble for opposition teams and let players like Gaff or Shuey get off the leash more.

Natantui down to Shuey/Yeo/Cockatoo actually sounds pretty exciting.

Cockatoo looks like a man among kids in that footage! must of starred in that game. If Pickett is gone he would be one that comes into calculations you would think, if you are chasing a line breaker. I would love a foil for Gaff, someone who is quick and damaging to compliment Gaff's "death by 1000 cuts" game.

Either one of the Hill's (Freo or Hawthorn) would be great thanks ;)

I did a search for Duggin on the AFL site and got a zero result.

Duggan at 11 would be fine by me as I've previously posted.

Good size, good pace and a very good left foot and high disposal efficiency. A true mutli positional player and likes kicking goals. Would start off in a back pocket / bench rotation and would need a couple of years to play more midfield.

Sure he's no Pickett but he has the tools to be a very good player. Voted MVP by his AIS teammates after the European tour which says something as well.
Lol you are right. I was using your post to instruct the others in the errors of their ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back