Details on National Comp?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 6, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, San Jose Sharks
I've heard the comp is due within five years, but does anyone have any details as to what the comp is likely to consist of? That is to say, anything about say, how many teams, what sort of resources, is it likely to be semi-pro or amateur? Women umpires only?

Hard to find details at the moment but I wonder if some people might be in the know!

I think they are trying to get AFL teams to have a team associated to them in the competition. Not sure how many teams it will consist of though. I know that in Victoria they were going to make it zoned, so each club will have access to players from a particular area. Not sure if they are going through with that.

Jan Cooper, the national AFL Womens Manager located in Perth is the best person to talk about a national womens comp.

Personally the talent is spread a bit thin with Victoria's equivalent of their D side probably still good enough to win nationals due to their player depth. Currently WA give Victoria a run for their money.

If a national club competition was to happen, many Victorian players probably would have to move interstate or at least play for a club outside Victoria to get an opportunity on the national level.

I could envisage something like the Soccer W-League club competition playing each other once but central administration would have to fund a majority of it and i assume players would get a very small stipend as unlike soccer, there is no overseas football league opportunities for them to ply their trade after the season has ended.

If you look at the W-League reports about Perth thinking of abandoning their women's team, it costs roughly $90,000 to field a side. Where will the money come from (assuming for argument's sake, a team from Adelaide, Brisbane, Sydney, Perth and two from Melbourne, you are looking at over half a million dollars per year). Personally i believe each side will need a full-time coach, a full-time team manager or administrator minimum before any player salaries/assistant coaches or other admin roles that need to be counted.

The official plan was reportedly 2020, to allow time for the AFL to bed in GCS and GWS. Jan Cooper was talking of stakeholders getting a rump league up earlier, around 2014, but I do not know if this was just wishful thinking or an actual plan.

I think the (rough) plan was 5 or 6 teams, state based, maybe 2 from vic. However, while Vic could get several teams up of the required standard, and WA maybe 1, the rest of the country would struggle.

While the $90 000 a W-League team costs is chump change for the big AFL clubs. I think a Womens AFL team will cost much more. It will depend on how they view womens football. If they see it as a chance to grow the brand, enter new markets, attract new fans, they may go all in. If they see it as just a distraction from their real business, they may stay out altogether.

I keep searching for info, but there is very little to go on, we will have to wait and see.

Jan Cooper, the national AFL Womens Manager located in Perth is the best person to talk about a national womens comp.

Personally the talent is spread a bit thin with Victoria's equivalent of their D side probably still good enough to win nationals due to their player depth. Currently WA give Victoria a run for their money.

If a national club competition was to happen, many Victorian players probably would have to move interstate or at least play for a club outside Victoria to get an opportunity on the national level.

I could envisage something like the Soccer W-League club competition playing each other once but central administration would have to fund a majority of it and i assume players would get a very small stipend as unlike soccer, there is no overseas football league opportunities for them to ply their trade after the season has ended.

If you look at the W-League reports about Perth thinking of abandoning their women's team, it costs roughly $90,000 to field a side. Where will the money come from (assuming for argument's sake, a team from Adelaide, Brisbane, Sydney, Perth and two from Melbourne, you are looking at over half a million dollars per year). Personally i believe each side will need a full-time coach, a full-time team manager or administrator minimum before any player salaries/assistant coaches or other admin roles that need to be counted.

victoira beat wa by about 12-15 goals in the final of the nationals last yr

The 2011 Under 18 Youth girls National championship final was Vic 7.4 (46) WA 5.6 (36) which may be a better indication for a future national league. Both teams smashed their opponents on the way to the final.

The 2011 Under 18 Youth girls National championship final was Vic 7.4 (46) WA 5.6 (36) which may be a better indication for a future national league. Both teams smashed their opponents on the way to the final.

Whilst that might seem close & an indication of what might happen in 10+ years, I thinks for at least the next 5 Vic will only get stronger. The amount of u/18's clubs popping up is huge add to that an u/12's that has started this yr.

The Vic side only had a few players over the age of 28, the depth is just massive ATM & can only see it getting strong in the future

What is the NEAFL salary cap?
Here's what i can find on the NEAFL Bylaws.

Not sure about the Eastern Conference and how does the GC Suns / Brissy Lions / GWS and Sydney Swans are counted with their professionals? I.e say Adam Goodes is sent to the ressies to get form after recovering from his injuries - how is that calculated or you have a high priced player who is out of form consistently.

17.1 Total Player Payments Schedule
(a) Total Player Payments (TPP) arrangements, if any, which existed in the relevant State Leagues prior to the commencement of the Competition, will continue to operate in 2012.
(b) Clubs, if applicable, must contact their respective State League Football Operations Manager for important information relation to Total Player Payments.
(c) For 2012, the North Conference State League Clubs shall be bound by the following TPP limits based on eighteen (18) home and away rounds:
(i) Maximum $165,000 and a minimum of $60,000.
(ii) In addition to Rule 17.1 (c) (i) above, a Retrieval/Recruiting/Retention allowance shall apply for NT Thunder $60,000.
(iii) Total Player Payments in respect of each final appearance by the Club‟s Competition team shall be the salary cap total divided by the number of rounds, plus 10% for finals incentive payments.

Update on the womens national league. Date mentioned is still 2020, and still not a lot of info. The interesting development is the Womens AFL game played this year. There was talk of trying to get it televised, and adding a second game. Could the intention to be to just keep evolving this concept, add more games, get more clubs involved, make the mock draft less `mock`?

Also interesting that at least one AFL CEO came out and said that when first approached about a womens league with teams affiliated with existing AFL clubs, his opinion was he couldn't see the value in supporting it, and wsnt really interested, but that watching the womens game changed his mind. I think that was part of the point of the game.

As for talent. East Perth district had a year 8/9 girls footy carnival recently and had 18 teams turn up. Inconceivable 5 years ago, frankly, it was probably inconceivable when this thread was started.

Queensland seems to be putting a big effort into womens and girls footy to the point they are probably the third strongest state, and catching WA and Vic. Victoria goes without saying.

So I think by 2020, there will be more than enough talent. So much I think they should bring the date forward.

Hi Jatz and co,
Any news on next years Women's Nationals? I have heard rumors that the seniors has been scrapped which would be shocking turnaround to the development of women's footy. The youth girls is still to go ahead, but I cant find any confirmation of the senior comp anywhere on line, I just find reviews of 2013's comp.
I heard it was financed by a private investor who is possibly scrapping it because it was costing more that it created in revenue. Any knowledge of this?
Cheers

Hi Jatz and co,
Any news on next years Women's Nationals? I have heard rumors that the seniors has been scrapped which would be shocking turnaround to the development of women's footy. The youth girls is still to go ahead, but I cant find any confirmation of the senior comp anywhere on line, I just find reviews of 2013's comp.
I heard it was financed by a private investor who is possibly scrapping it because it was costing more that it created in revenue. Any knowledge of this?
Cheers

I was told it has been scrapped. In QLD we have been told Seniors nationals is off and that each states will be organising their own interstate trips to play one state only. We took the first initiative and went to Tassy and played an exhibition match there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I havent really heard anything. The AFLcommunity website from 2013 says it was hoped that the nationals would go annual soon, and then go home and away, so getting canned altogether would be a major step back.

It may be that a key supporter has pulled out, but I suspect the lack of any real announcement is due to work going on in the background to make it happen. I think the nationals are a key to both the AFL womens exhibition game, and the eventual goal of a national league, and with the public support the AFL has given, I do not think they could really afford to let it fall over.

I've heard (a month or so ago) that there will be nationals in Melbourne and it will revert to something like state of origin - so Brennan, O'Connor and Ernst to play for Queensland, rather than Victoria.

I've also heard that they'd scale back a bit on Nationals (every 2nd or 4th years, something like that) with the Youth Girls having more frequent nationals.

I've heard (a month or so ago) that there will be nationals in Melbourne and it will revert to something like state of origin - so Brennan, O'Connor and Ernst to play for Queensland, rather than Victoria.

I've also heard that they'd scale back a bit on Nationals (every 2nd or 4th years, something like that) with the Youth Girls having more frequent nationals.
A mistake in my opinion. you want the best players in the best comp showcasing talent as an advert for a national comp, and while youth girls nationals develop talent, at this point, develop the talent to do what?. They play youth girls nationals every year, then get to 18 and go to seniors nationals every 4?

New developments coming fast now. The AFLPA has approached the he afl, and spoken to the exhibition game players about changing the setup of the AFLPA to include representing female players. Also the possibility of female players being included in the negotiations for the percentage of the TV deal to go to the players.

Also looks like 6 may be the magic number for teams in the league in 2017. This is what Gill mentioned as the number of teams they think could play at the level of Sundays game in 2017.

A number of clubs have now mentioned wanting a women's team.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

A mistake in my opinion. you want the best players in the best comp showcasing talent as an advert for a national comp, and while youth girls nationals develop talent, at this point, develop the talent to do what?. They play youth girls nationals every year, then get to 18 and go to seniors nationals every 4?
WA beat Victoria in a State of Origin match in Perth recently which was probably unexpected. That may have been the reason for a change.

WA beat Victoria in a State of Origin match in Perth recently which was probably unexpected. That may have been the reason for a change.
In todays West Australian in a Women in Sport section by Liam Croy there is a 2 page spread on Womens Footy.
Could not find it online.
Some brief info.
The Eagles (Very keen) - The 2 QLD clubs - The Crows have put their hand up to at least have a look at teams. The Dockers would not comment.
Simon Lethlean from the AFL who is going to organise the comp said up to "8 teams" would be likely in 2017. He thinks enough talent. (8 x 40) ????
Locally The Australian Islamic College has several women players playing regularly.
The first Bachar Houli Cup held in Perth recently. That is a successful Multicultural concept.
Last weekends game in Melbourne and its TV coverage has raised the interest level somewhat was the tone of the article.
Its all good

Last edited:
Six teams would be a great start. Allignment with mens team can and will work outside Victoria. In Vic you have 10 teams and not all teams will have an opportunity to field a women's team.

For me, Fremantle, West Coast, Brisbane, plus three teams for Victoria. If allignment in Vic occurs then Collingwood, Hawthorn, and Richmond.

I've heard players have been invited to some sort of training camp in preparation for a larger league to spring up. Not sure if this is all getting things ready for 2017, but it's certainly in motion.

I would guess that this is a Victorian rump league starting up and they'd bring in SA, WA, Qld and other teams as they arise.

Teams like Essendon, Collingwood, Carlton, Geelong, Richmond and the Bulldogs would have big enough and centralised support bases and funds to get it off the ground as a 6 team comp.

In the end it would just take over from the existing Premier VWFL, though I imagine all the best players from clubs in lower divisions would move into these teams as well.

It's exciting times for women's AFL.

I've heard players have been invited to some sort of training camp in preparation for a larger league to spring up. Not sure if this is all getting things ready for 2017, but it's certainly in motion.

I would guess that this is a Victorian rump league starting up and they'd bring in SA, WA, Qld and other teams as they arise.

Teams like Essendon, Collingwood, Carlton, Geelong, Richmond and the Bulldogs would have big enough and centralised support bases and funds to get it off the ground as a 6 team comp.

In the end it would just take over from the existing Premier VWFL, though I imagine all the best players from clubs in lower divisions would move into these teams as well.

It's exciting times for women's AFL.

Six team comp will be national from the start.

Likely teams will be Western Bulldogs, Melbourne, West Coast, Adelaide, Brisbane Lions and GWS Giants.

They are going to need a large pool of National comp standard players ready to go. Makes sense to start setting the standard and separating the chaff now. It will be to late if you are selecting a player at the start of 2017 who has the ability but lacks the fitness base and knowledge of 'system' for want of a better word. If it really is 2017, then a lot has to happen next year, they cannot just do a draft early 2017 and then a couple of months later start a national comp.

No Draft, as players won't be making a living from playing WAFL LOL. I don't expect a player to go interstate for little money.

For me, Six team comp in 2017. Fremantle, West Coast, Brisbane, Collignwood, Melbourne and Western Bulldogs.

There is already a few that make their coin from the AFL directly or indirectly. I think there will be a core group in each team that are professional, with top up of locals. So I think there will be a draft. They will want to top the w league at least in terms of pay. They are definitely setting up to make the league the women's pro sport of choice.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back