Game Day Round 1: Melbourne v Gold Coast Suns MCG , 1:40pm AEDT Saturday, April 4, 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This guy has put us back a huge amount post Bailey

The worst part is that even if we kept Bails we would have lost him anyway. RIP Dean.

This guy has put us back a huge amount post Bailey

I promise I'm not saying this because he died, but at least with Baily, he was coaching the kids and had a gameplan (which was useless without anyone in our forward line, but I suspect that was deliberate).

He was under directive from the w***er Schwabb when we were cutting senior players and playing kids for more draft picks.

I reckon in another environment the poor bloke might have been a reasonable coach - or development coach at least.

Neeld was brought in to start winning - but he was just hopeless.

I promise I'm not saying this because he died, but at least with Baily, he was coaching the kids and had a gameplan (which was useless without anyone in our forward line, but I suspect that was deliberate).

He was under directive from the ****** Schwabb when we were cutting senior players and playing kids for more draft picks.

I reckon in another environment the poor bloke might have been a reasonable coach - or development coach at least.

Neeld was brought in to start winning - but he was just hopeless.

Realistically, Bailey was developing most of our young guys pretty solidly - even guys like Blease, Strauss, Gysberts and Tappy who have since gone backwards (or are perpetually injured like Tappy).

Problem with Bailey was the defensive side, we were all offense and no defense but he did teach offense pretty well.

He certainly liked to get the players to back themselves and run. We just had a non-existent forward line and got smashed on the rebound.

It's hard to tell what was part of the 'not tanking' plan, and what wasn't.

Bailey was similar to Brett ratten in when the side was on they were attacking animals , problem was they were unable to change it up if things weren't going there way

Petterd, Martin, bate, Jetta, gysberts, jurrah, wonna, moloney, Sylvia, bartram, Morton, blease, tapscott, bennell an probably others all played awesome games at afl level at various stages , all could potentially still be at the club had the group stuck together and developed a defensive edge

Remember when we were scared of losing petterd to GC?
Remember when Morton kicked 4 at Geelong in a losing side and looked like he could be our Adam goodes
Jurrah and wonna looked like some sort of freak combo in the brewing

Gysberts had 30 on debut against Geelong , tappy was bowling over Reece Shaws on debut and nailing 60 m passes

s**t baileys legacy was to give the kids the confidence to attack and play freely
Had we been able to combine it with Paul Roos discipline that 2010 list would have taken us deep into finals by now

B: Colin Garland, Tom McDonald, Neville Jetta
HB: Heritier Lumumba, Sam Frost, Lynden Dunn

C: Bernie Vince, Jack Viney, Dean Kent

HF: Jeremy Howe, Cameron Pederson, Jay Kennedy-Harris
F: Jack Watts, Jesse Hogan, Jeff Garlett

R: Mark Jamar, Nathan Jones, Dom Tyson

INT: Christian Salem, Daniel Cross, Jack Grimes
Sub: Jimmy Toumpass

B: Colin Garland, Tom McDonald, Neville Jetta
HB: Heritier Lumumba, Sam Frost, Lynden Dunn

C: Bernie Vince, Jack Viney, Dean Kent

HF: Jeremy Howe, Cameron Pederson, Jay Kennedy-Harris
F: Jack Watts, Jesse Hogan, Jeff Garlett

R: Mark Jamar, Nathan Jones, Dom Tyson

INT: Christian Salem, Daniel Cross, Jack Grimes
Sub: Jimmy Toumpass

I think Dawes needs a spot there, and Im not sure JKH, Salem and Toumpas can all be carried in the same side yet - particularly if we draft Brayshaw, who is ready to go from all reports.

Your effort is pretty close to mine though :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Dawes needs a spot there, and Im not sure JKH, Salem and Toumpas can all be carried in the same side yet - particularly if we draft Brayshaw, who is ready to go from all reports.

Dawes is suspended round 1

I reckon Gawn is in the side round 1, either as the starting ruck or a spot up forward. This is the year that Jamar will be passing the batton over.

Dawes is suspended isn't he?

And from what I've heard about JKH is that he as very good with his defensive efforts and he could replace someone like Bail and Matt Jones as a defensive forward.

With carrying the youngsters I didn't really think about that.

And from what I've heard about JKH is that he as very good with his defensive efforts and he could replace someone like Bail and Matt Jones as a defensive forward.

He is but he also has done 1 Pre season and was dropped during this year because he wasnt going both ways

The pedo bear saying in an interview that he will be training all preseason as a forward , I like it I think he was our best marking player this year

That only strengthens my view that we'll take McCartin. Roos is planning on playing 3 key forwards, i.e. Hogan, Dawes and Pedersen. They'll obviously give McCartin time to develop at Casey before he's considered and it's not hard to see him as a likely future replacement for Pedersen.

Last edited:

Yeh sorry, I keep forgetting this is a round 1 thread, not 'best 22'.

FB: Jetta, Dunn, Grimes
HB: Lambretta, McDonald, Garland

C: Vince, Cross, Toumpas

HF: Howe, Pederson, Watts
FF: Fitzpatrick, Hogan, Garlett

R: Gawn, Jones, Tyson

Int: Viney, JKH, Michie, Kent

* I've moved on from Jamar. Whilst his ruckwork is good, he gives us next to nothing around the ground and it's now Gawn's opportunity to cement his position.
* Garland and Frost vying for the same position.
* Same goes for Pederson and Dawes. There's an x-factor about Fitz that I want to see develop. He looks more likely to kick goals than the previous two.
* I've not bothered with draftees as we don't know them yet.

B: Jetta Frost Dunn
HB: Lumumba McDonald Garland
C: Viney Cross Vince
HF: Howe Pederson Watts
F: Garlett Hogan Kent
Foll: Jamar N. Jones Tyson
Bench: Grimes Bail Michie
S: Salem
Emg: Kennedy-Harris Toumpas Gawn

No Dawes means Howe has to be a target up forward. Even though the output of Frawley was limited in the front half this year, he did provide a target,
which is something that needs to be filled.
Frost played 16 games last year, he'll be ready to fill the void as our second key post defender.
McDonald will play on the more aerobic based forward due to his tank being significantly larger than Frost's, hence why he's CHB.
Lumumba and Garlett, mature recruits specifically traded in to fill our vacancies at half-back and as small forward, so they're straight in.
Despite what people say about Bail, his abilities to apply the most 1%'s and pressure in the side, are the reason why he played 21 games this year and why he'll be in round 1 side next year.
New draftees not in because of Roos' mantra of "earning your spot through VFL". Yes, Kennedy-Harris played in round 1 last year, but that was due to literally having no one to play as a small-crumbing forward.
So,bwith Stretch locked in, and assuming we take Brayshaw and McCartin, if these 3 carve it up in the preseason with training and NAB cup games, they won't play coz they're unproven? That's just stupid. Can imagine the selection meeting. Nah we'll play M Jones and Bail coz they've tried really hard to be a fringe player. These 3 kids are already better but I wanna see how they perform against North Ballarat first. If you're ready, you're ready. That precisely what the pre season is for. You don't have to earn a spot at Casey if you've already done it by round 1

So,bwith Stretch locked in, and assuming we take Brayshaw and McCartin, if these 3 carve it up in the preseason with training and NAB cup games, they won't play coz they're unproven? That's just stupid. Can imagine the selection meeting. Nah we'll play M Jones and Bail coz they've tried really hard to be a fringe player. These 3 kids are already better but I wanna see how they perform against North Ballarat first. If you're ready, you're ready. That precisely what the pre season is for. You don't have to earn a spot at Casey if you've already done it by round 1

Well we haven't even drafted Brayshaw or McCartin yet so it's not unreasonable to leave them out for the moment..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back