List Mgmt. 2014 trade/draft/FA/delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking a bit differently going into this draft. Im fairly happy to take wright, although we probably won't see him play with any sort of regularity for maybe three years... Do we hold off and just trade in a ruck/forward? I'd love to see us go after a big bodied mid... Either laverde, cockatoo or lamb. I'd also love to see us go after rainbow... Geez he can use it by foot.
I'm a bit iffy on lever. He's basically the same size as Haynes. So he would play second or third tall. We also have corr and plowman, so not sure where he would fit in. Also, he's already had a reco, so not sure he is who we should be going after.
Who do you guys think we should take?

Coming up to the draft, I would hope that the one thing that is really worked in interviews with the kids of this year's flock is the go-home factor. I'm pretty sure there was talk of O'Rourke saying he wanted to stay in Melbourne and then we took him. Two years later, he's gone. I'm sure the club is smartening up from its past drafts and knows what to look for.

Pick 4 for Howe lol This is also the "reported" quote regarding Pickett " Pickett recently said in his draft combine press conference that, although he’d enjoy being drafted to a interstate club, he’d “ultimately want to get back and play at home”. I like the kids honesty and I think we should steer clear of him extremely talented but should we waste a pick on someone already talking about going home?

If he can stay for 8 years and 2 flags I'll buy him a ticket back home!

Can you see you guys taking Pickett at pick 7 great small forward could be the second gun small forward yous need

So let's look at the saints....

They ship off Stanley who was Roos replacement according to the hype mid season which leads me to believe they will take McCartin as they need a tall full forward and they don't exactly grow on trees...just ask the dogs they waited 10 years for a young ff

I'm not so sure. Mids can be a dime a dozen... Big key forwards are rare. Remember that McCartin was largely tipped to go number 1 before we were chasing the number 1 to get petrecca... That pushed him up the list. I still think they will draft to their biggest need which is a power forward

Their recruitment strategy can't hinge on throwing big bucks at a key forward who might very well be off the market in a couple months time... They are smarter than that

So let's look at the saints....

They ship off Stanley who was Roos replacement according to the hype mid season which leads me to believe they will take McCartin as they need a tall full forward and they don't exactly grow on trees...just ask the dogs they waited 10 years for a young ff

Stanley was never hyped to be Roo's replacement. He was only ever going to be a forward/2nd ruck and we'd still need to find a key forward.

The Saints have publicly stated that we will draft the best available talent this year and will worry about our needs in later years. At the moment everything seems to indicate that Petracca is the best kid in the country so we will almost certainly pick him.

Pick 4 for Howe lol This is also the "reported" quote regarding Pickett " Pickett recently said in his draft combine press conference that, although he’d enjoy being drafted to a interstate club, he’d “ultimately want to get back and play at home”. I like the kids honesty and I think we should steer clear of him extremely talented but should we waste a pick on someone already talking about going home?

I just think if we clearly see Pickett as the best option at pick 7 then we have to grab him but that said to ease the transition we could use pick 23 to draft a mate to join him at the giants, and pick 23 isn't to far off the range of Jarrod Garlett and playing wise would also be a good fit for us.

Last edited:
Stanley was never hyped to be Roo's replacement. He was only ever going to be a forward/2nd ruck and we'd still need to find a key forward.

The Saints have publicly stated that we will draft the best available talent this year and will worry about our needs in later years. At the moment everything seems to indicate that Petracca is the best kid in the country so we will almost certainly pick him.

But it was gws' interest in a big bodied midfielder that pushed petrecca but into number 1. Before that the talk was McCartin. So it's a matter of what u need more

But it was gws' interest in a big bodied midfielder that pushed petrecca but into number 1. Before that the talk was McCartin. So it's a matter of what u need more and I'd hesitate to say u need a big forward more than a mid

It was Petracca's smashing finish to the year that pushed him up, along with McCartin quietening a bit. GWS interest wasn't the reason.

This. Petracca has the best exposed form of anyone in the draft. It also seemed that most pundits only had the Saints taking McCartin with 1 due to our 'need' of a key forward to replace Roo.

The only position we don't need more elite talent in is the ruck. Our midfield struggled horribly last year and one of our best mids has retired. Taking Petracca fills a need while also being the best kid in the country (and a much safer bet than McCartin).

I'd be shocked if we took McCartin at 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I can't believe that one club apparently being keen on a player pushed him up the draft order to another club. It wouldn't be like St Kilda would have tried their second pick on Petracca without GWS being interested. Sounds a lot like cheating in an exam, you don't know the other person is on the right track so why copy?

This. Petracca has the best exposed form of anyone in the draft. It also seemed that most pundits only had the Saints taking McCartin with 1 due to our 'need' of a key forward to replace Roo.

The only position we don't need more elite talent in is the ruck. Our midfield struggled horribly last year and one of our best mids has retired. Taking Petracca fills a need while also being the best kid in the country (and a much safer bet than McCartin).

I'd be shocked if we took McCartin at 1.
Hmm ok I didn't think ur midfield was as terrible as you say so maybe I'm wrong. So u start him at half forward and move him through the midfield as he develops?

Your next pick isn't till the twenties... Unlikely to find a replacement for roo there is my line of thinking so a tall early on made sense. But if u think a mid is ur biggest need...

It seems like if the Griffen and Jacksh/Whiley/19 for 7 trade was completed early in trade week GWS would have sent out all 3 picks for mature bodies.

It certainly seems that way. Clubs (and players) would have had a chance to carefully consider the options instead of having to respond to a last minute fire sale.

Clip of Patton on Triple MMM on official site saying how settled he and all the boys are at GWS and how he laughed when he heard Boyd's deal.
Says his reconstruction feels a lot better than last times. A lot less limping. Maybe ahead of schedule.

As for the draft
Wright, McCartin, Lever, are likely with picks 4 and 6. I'd get KPP because that's the strength of this draft and not the strength of next year's.
1) Petracca
2) Brayshaw
3) Lever or McCartin (probably McCartin)
4) Us: Lever or McCartin
5) Laverde: Collingwood have Cloke, White, Reid, Lynch, in KPF and Whits, Keefe, Grundy in ruck, might have an interest in Lever.
6) Us:Wright
7) Us: I'd look at KPDs (in order) Goddard or Durdin or Marchebank
23)Us: Connor Blakely or Bampton onballer or Keitel KP
24) Us:Steele: Mid/fwd
62) Us:Finlayson: KPP

Hmm ok I didn't think ur midfield was as terrible as you say so maybe I'm wrong. So u start him at half forward and move him through the midfield as he develops?

Your next pick isn't till the twenties... Unlikely to find a replacement for roo there is my line of thinking so a tall early on made sense. But if u think a mid is ur biggest need...

I think if you are St Kilda and don't pick Petracca everyone will look at you funny, knowing we tried (thank god unsuccessfully) to trade up.

I reckon wright pick 4, Pickett pick 6, pick 7 lever, godard or durdin and pick 23 Ed vicker willis, or clem smith two good back man there and clem smith would also be a friend for Pickett

Can't see us picking Durdin, a South Australian. I know we went more WA last year but the vast majority of our draftees have been Victorians and I would not be surprised if that continues to be the case.

Provided Petracca at 1 and Demons keen as mustard on Brayshaw, we're likely to pick up one of McCartin/Wright at 4. As for 6/7 it would really come down to who is left and best available at that point. 23 can be used more for a need if possible.

Can someone explain to me why we would take lever? He's exactly the same as Haynes..?
He looks great to me. Courageous contested mark, nice run and good user of the ball. Yes, similar to Haynes, but also reminds me a bit of Davis too. Very happy to have two of Haynes on the list by the way :)

Coming up to the draft, I would hope that the one thing that is really worked in interviews with the kids of this year's flock is the go-home factor. I'm pretty sure there was talk of O'Rourke saying he wanted to stay in Melbourne and then we took him. Two years later, he's gone. I'm sure the club is smartening up from its past drafts and knows what to look for.
Chad Wingard, the one who got away or would he have gone away after two years. Better to draft Vic Metro players then you have bargaining power when they want to go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back