Not open for further replies.

felsty

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
New Orleans Saints
When was the last time the 'bigger than everyone else in the U18s' argument worked for anyone that didn't play KPP? I honestly can't think of one. Blokes like Hawkins and Boyd could beat up because the margin between weight and strength categories is so huge in the juniors but for midfielders if you are big, even in juniors, I think it's only going to help you in the Seniors

Few times on this thread people have posted I presume links to twitter, but they don't show correctly for me.
I see:

Unsupported media
Media=twitter, then a long number, then /media

Any idea how I can either get around that, or use the long number to find the tweet and read it?
Tapatalk user I'm assuming? No way around I don't think. I just click on web view and use the alerts to get to the post quicker.

66sainter

Team Captain
Jul 2, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
No it doesn't stop them. But it pushes them further up the development path.
And because they're further up the development path it means they won't develop as much as others that weren't apart of the AIS? The AIS players are identified because they're more likely to become high level footballers, which most of the time means they have far greater room to improve than others.

Does anyone of note have McCartin at pick one in their phantom draft?

All I've seen of late is Petracca going at one.

Knightmare puts a range where he thinks the player will go ( as well as his phantom ).
He has Petracca at 1-2
Brayshaw 1-3
McCartin and Wright at 1-7.
So he still considers all four a chance, but he considers that if we don't take him at one Melbourne will.

If we take him he'll be a gun, if Melbourne take him, he's all washed up.

And because they're further up the development path it means they won't develop as much as others that weren't apart of the AIS? The AIS players are identified because they're more likely to become high level footballers, which most of the time means they have far greater room to improve than others.

Patrick Veszpremi says hi.

people just look for negatives in every draftee to seem smart about drafts

Don't get me wrong. I currently think that Petracca is the best choice and I hope to hell he lives up to the hype.
But draft picks are a lottery, and rather than rejoicing in the fact that we've recruited a certain superstar ( like many do ) , I will be waiting nervously until he proves himself at the highest level.

Ads734

Premiership Player
Jan 24, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think the best aspect with Petracca is his scope to improve. He's played as a midfielder for 1 season yes 1 and look how dominant he was give 3 or more years to develop there mmmmmm and then he can still improve his outside uncontested game and kid kicking and fitness . Got loads to work on and his already so dominant

holllywood

Club Legend
Aug 6, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Toon
Don't get me wrong. I currently think that Petracca is the best choice and I hope to hell he lives up to the hype.
But draft picks are a lottery, and rather than rejoicing in the fact that we've recruited a certain superstar ( like many do ) , I will be waiting nervously until he proves himself at the highest level.

Scouting and recruiting and development now is the best it has ever been, and will only get better. The days of wasted top 10 picks are basically over, with injuries the only thing stopping top 10 picks from having good careers.

Mate, watch a Vic Metro game and focus on CP. He is a Rolls Royce and you'll understand the hype.

May 29, 2012
Scotland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Kingdom Kangaroos, Sandy Zebras
I think the ideal role for Schneider is for us to get him onto the rookie list.
That way he is our veteran backup when someone gets injured - the chances of one our band of frequently crocked players getting hurt in preseason is very high, means it's virtually guaranteed that a rookie lister is eligible to play round 1. In fact I think by round 5 last year all our rookies were eligible to play thanks to Steven, Eli, Geary, Wright, Gilbert, Hickey and Fisher.

It doesn't really affect our list rebuild given that we're having to fill all 4 rookie spots; the chances of us finding a decent player in the fourth swing in the psd are tiny. So we may as well use it on a vet who can mentor and provide depth. Then his spot becomes the open one for next year when he retires.
Plus I think we have enough youngsters coming in this year - last year it was only 4 true rookie draftees and even then Dunstan had played seniors in SA. This year is could be 7 plus Membrey.
And if we rookie list Membrey plus 3 kids, next year we hopefully upgrade Membrey but then it only leaves us 1 space and/or we cut kids after only a single year. I think Holmes starts to count in our lost numbers too, and the Kiwi fella might need a rookie spot in 2016 if he's any good.

Fair chance we do an agreement with Schneider to delist and rookie him.

However if that's the case we should have picked up a nothing 7th round pick from a club who won't use theirs, as I don't think we have enough to upgrade all of Eli, Shenton, Minch and Weller whilst keeping pick 41 live?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back