I think I'm going to need a travel CREDIT card... tips?

Remove this Banner Ad

walshy93

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
Hey guys...

I'm planning a two month trip starting in November, and despite having paid for pretty much everything already (except a couple of tours and activities), I don't think I'm going to have enough spending money.

If there's one thing I don't want, it's to feel like I need to be super frugal on a trip that has already cost me a fair bit of money! I might as well enjoy the trip.

I suppose, as a safeguard, does anyone have any tips about a credit card I can use overseas, but not pay too much, or any, interest. Say if I use it at the end of my trip and pay it back within a month or so?

I just don't want to get to the last week and have $400 left...

Hey guys...

I'm planning a two month trip starting in November, and despite having paid for pretty much everything already (except a couple of tours and activities), I don't think I'm going to have enough spending money.

If there's one thing I don't want, it's to feel like I need to be super frugal on a trip that has already cost me a fair bit of money! I might as well enjoy the trip.

I suppose, as a safeguard, does anyone have any tips about a credit card I can use overseas, but not pay too much, or any, interest. Say if I use it at the end of my trip and pay it back within a month or so?

I just don't want to get to the last week and have $400 left...
Yeah, don't do it. If you need money, get a loan from the bank and put the money into a travel card. Most banks offer travel cards, so it should be pretty easy and straight forward to do.

Thing is, if you lose your credit card overseas, say goodbye to all that money you never had that you will need to pay back. If you lose your travel card, say goodbye to all the money you had, and can pay back gradually over time.

If you really want a credit card, just get an extremely low rate card with a limit of $2,000.

Travel cards are the way to go. Having said that tho, out of 36 ppl on the bus, 2 (including my ex-bf) got their's completely wiped out, probably in some dodgy country like Turkey.

They got it all back tho from the bank (insurance didnt wanna hear one word about it- needed a police report lmao- when you're miles away from where the crime took place). I never had any trouble with mine tho, it was fantastic. Went thru the States, Canada and Europe.

Why cant you just borrow some money from a parent or relative? No interest that way.

2 choice for credit cards, either 28 degrees Mastercard as previously mentioned OR BankWest Zero Mastercard - they both charge no foreign exchange fee (Both cards also handy when purchasing stuff from overseas websites).

If you want to withdraw from overseas ATMs, then the Citibank Plus account with a VISA debit card is the one for you as it is the only one that doesn't impose a fee for foreign ATM transactions (but the owner of the foreign ATM might, although this can be easily avoided as they are forced to inform you before going ahead with the withdrawal). You can also use the debit card to buy stuff in foreign currency as Citibank also doesn't charge FX fees for this account, although keep in mind being a debit card it's your money being taken away from your account rather than using the bank's credit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back