news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.theguardian.com/australi...ing-victoria-ban-glamorise-violence-australia

So damn ignorant from the commissioner
I love the ABC but even the segment they did on MMA in the morning was uninformed.
They were Saying its a grotesque sport with no rules and how lifting the ban on cages will send a bad message.
Completely unaware of the fact MMA fighting is currently legal and conducted in Victoria. Lifting the ban will only have one real impact and that is to make it safer for the fighters.

Anyone been to a MMA event in Melbourne ?

http://www.theguardian.com/australi...ing-victoria-ban-glamorise-violence-australia

So damn ignorant from the commissioner
I love the ABC but even the segment they did on MMA in the morning was uninformed.
They were Saying its a grotesque sport with no rules and how lifting the ban on cages will send a bad message.
Completely unaware of the fact MMA fighting is currently legal and conducted in Victoria. Lifting the ban will only have one real impact and that is to make it safer for the fighters.

Anyone been to a MMA event in Melbourne ?

Yep. All the AFC cards

Patrick Smith was gold. Almost caused me to drive off the road when he said something like 'if I was a fighter I'd rather do it in a ring so I could run away rather than be trapped in a cage having the bejeezus beaten out of me for the next hour and a half'

But as quivorir pointed out, it seems like a lot of these people dribbling s**t dont seem to realize the sport of mma is already legal in Vic and is the same whether in the ring or the cage.

Tom Elliott on 3AW right now seems to gave a clue what he's talking about

I had the misfortune to see Sunrise this morning. Exactly the same horseshit being said there.

I especially love the canard about injuries - yes they occur; but they also do in Australian Rules Football, Rugby, and pretty much any other contact sport. I would venture to suggest American Football has far more concussions than the UFC. Should that be banned? Why not Motor Racing?

Cain's injured again so Hunt is stepping in to fight for the interim title!
Should really be JDS but I guess they won't want Cain to have to fight him again next for the title.

Would love Hunt to win.

Hunt can always win, he is capable of beating anyone. His Tdd is better than he is given credit for, no doubt if he is taken down it's all over for him though.

God I want him to win, would be interesting to see if the cage issue rears up if Australia has the UFC heavyweight champion of the world

Hunt can always win, he is capable of beating anyone. His Tdd is better than he is given credit for, no doubt if he is taken down it's all over for him though.

God I want him to win, would be interesting to see if the cage issue rears up if Australia has the UFC heavyweight champion of the world

has a good ring to it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone had a look at show called Kingdom. Fictional drama based on the semi pro MMA scene in California. Few UFC personalities popping up in the first two episodes, Joe Stevenson, Cub Swanson, Chris Leben and the one and only Mike Beltran. Not quite The Wire... but a pretty decent start.

Can see the HUN report now
"With this human cockfighting champ now living in Australia police are expecting an increase in street violence"

Joe lauzon out now due to injury....was pumped for that Diego fight.

Anyone had a look at show called Kingdom. Fictional drama based on the semi pro MMA scene in California. Few UFC personalities popping up in the first two episodes, Joe Stevenson, Cub Swanson, Chris Leben and the one and only Mike Beltran. Not quite The Wire... but a pretty decent start.

Hadn't heard of that, but will check it out. Thanks for the heads up. :thumbsu:

Apparently Hunt's currently 307lb's, or 20k's over - says his biggest problem about this fight will just be making weight.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ing-champion-out/story-fnp3ipqj-1227098457771

Crazy to think when you remember this guy's only 178cm's tall. :confused:

Not surprised about this after the drama making weight for the Nelson fight. It didn't effect him too badly that night, so hopefully he's got a repeat performance in him. I'd feel real bad for Werdum though if he twice lost out on an actual title shot by losing after he'd been granted one.

Anybody really think Mendes can win...

I have the same feeling as when Cain fought Brock and when Jones beat Shogun for the title. Its his (Mendes) time.

Anybody really think Mendes can win...

I have the same feeling as when Cain fought Brock and when Jones beat Shogun for the title. Its his (Mendes) time.
I was talking about this with Jab and we both agree he is more than a sold chance. He is a much improved fighter since the last meeting and Aldo landed a lucky knee at the end of a close 1st round. Would have liked that fight to go into the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

30-27 Martins...

SoggyFinishedAfghanhound.gif

Only good fight, Mendes vs Aldo

Have to say I gave Mendes 2 rounds. A lot closer than the scorecards will say.
I gave Aldo moments in the fight but he struggled to claim rounds.

I couldn't recognise Aldo post fight. The Hendricks, GSP, Lawler principle. You win but look the loser.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back