Rhys Stanley + pick 59 (Jordan Cunico) to Geelong for pick 21 (Hugh Goddard)

Remove this Banner Ad

On Ryder who is probably the best ruck/forward in the comp… Rhys has pretty similar numbers over his first 58 games…

Ryder (first 58)
557 disposals
14 goals
222 marks
209 hitouts

Rhys (after 58 games)
589 disposals
40 goals
276 marks
287 hitouts

While I think Ryder will always be a better footballer, right now he has 110+ games and few years more experience. Easy to get impatient with big blokes, but I think Rhys will go on to play some very good football. I wish we'd kept him.

Comparison is flawed. One ruckman was playing in a competitive team which had plethora of talented tall players (in his first 58 games), the other was playing in uncompetitive side which saw the player as a project to be used as much as possible just to give the player experience.

Lets face it Rhys wouldn't have got a game in 2008-2010.

Comparison is flawed. One ruckman was playing in a competitive team which had plethora of talented tall players (in his first 58 games), the other was playing in uncompetitive side which saw the player as a project to be used as much as possible just to give the player experience.

So you are suggesting that playing in a side that barely gets the ball inside 50 is somehow an advantage to Stanley who gets the 2nd best defender as opposed to the 4th best?

Let's face it, Stanley was 18 years old in 2008, so no even if he wasn't chronically injured you would not expect him to get regular games.

The comparison in stats is just to give a rough idea and remind people how long tall players can take to come good.

So you are suggesting that playing in a side that barely gets the ball inside 50 is somehow an advantage to Stanley who gets the 2nd best defender as opposed to the 4th best?

Let's face it, Stanley was 18 years old in 2008, so no even if he wasn't chronically injured you would not expect him to get regular games.

The comparison in stats is just to give a rough idea and remind people how long tall players can take to come good.

I am suggesting the coaching panel, pushed Stanley around the ground to allow him to get more of the ball so he could improve his football nous which in turn would be of benefit to the St Kilda Football club in the long term.

If you coin the phrase "Project Player", you would in turn see Rhys Stanley. I am not sure you would ever project Paddy Ryder with this term.

Back from holidays. Who is Rhys Stanley and who let the work experience kid have a go at trade week?

Serious question. He's played six years and I vaguely recall him from winning the GF half time sprint. He played one good game against a disinterested Freo?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rhys played 7 matches in 2010

Back from holidays. Who is Rhys Stanley and who let the work experience kid have a go at trade week?

Serious question. He's played six years and I vaguely recall him from winning the GF half time sprint. He played one good game against a disinterested Freo?

Are you trying to impress someone or something, mate?

I don't understand the 15 year old attitude.

I may be a little drunk.

Point being, if you don't know who the guy is, you sure as **** can't accurately rate him. You'll see in time that if he were consistent he would be one of the best forwards in the comp, I have no doubts about that. The question is if he can do it, and even if he can't you will still see flashes of it. It's a risky game Geelong played but I think it will pay off. Your forward line is definitely more bolstered for next year, that's definitely a good thing.

Bf7CI8tCAAA6P3G.jpg

Do you remember Jolly at Melbourne? Rucks take time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

watching that highlights package, i think we did pretty well to get Pick 21.

Are you serious? If I'm Geelong I'm thinking I did pretty well if I watch that highlights package. It's when you start to watch him play week after week that can be disappointed.

Are you serious? If I'm Geelong I'm thinking I did pretty well if I watch that highlights package. It's when you start to watch him play week after week that can be disappointed.
Im not standing up for/ or knocking Stanley.
But if anybody here got the StKilda 'young guns' DVD a few yrs ago there was about 7 min devoted to Cain Acklands highlights and he looked pretty impressive.
My point is just about any player looks good in a highlight package.

Last edited:
But if anybody here got the StKilda 'young guns' DVD a few yrs ago there was about 7 min devoted to Cain Acklands highlights and he looked pretty impressive.

Yeah that was also my point. I agree.

Had a stab at a Geelong side for next season (assuming fitness); still pretty impressive...

FB: Enright - Lonergan - Rivers
HB: Mackie - Taylor - Horlin-Smith
CR: Duncan - Bartel - Kelly
HF: Johnson - Clark - Stokes
FF: Kersten - Hawkins - Stanley
RK: McIntosh - Selwood - Caddy
Int: Murdoch - Guthrie - Blicavs - Motlop

Had a stab at a Geelong side for next season (assuming fitness); still pretty impressive...

FB: Enright - Lonergan - Rivers
HB: Mackie - Taylor - Horlin-Smith
CR: Duncan - Bartel - Kelly
HF: Johnson - Clark - Stokes
FF: Kersten - Hawkins - Stanley
RK: McIntosh - Selwood - Caddy
Int: Murdoch - Guthrie - Blicavs - Motlop
Getting pretty old all those bolded are 30+..

Getting pretty old all those bolded are 30+..
Yep.

Reckon they're going to fall off a cliff in 2 years time, BUT;

Bartel - Lang
Rivers - Kolodashnij
Lonergan - Toohey
Johnson - Murdoch
Stokes - Bates
Kelly - Smedts*
Enright - Thurlow
McIntosh - Vardy*
Mackie - Bews*

Last edited:

Bloody oath. If anyone spent 6 years playing for a footy club they could make a pretty impressive video of them marking, kicking and running around a football ground.

Gee that Beau Maister looks an amazing player from the looks of his 6 year highlight package, how in the world did we let him retire. From his highlights he looks as though he is the best power forward since Lockett.:confused::confused::confused:

Bloody oath. If anyone spent 6 years playing for a footy club they could make a pretty impressive video of them marking, kicking and running around a football ground.

Gee that Beau Maister looks an amazing player from the looks of his 6 year highlight package, how in the world did we let him retire. From his highlights he looks as though he is the best power forward since Lockett.:confused::confused::confused:
Ill forgive you for mentioning Maister and Lockett in the same sentence :D:D:D:D
But yes anybody can scrape up a good highlights package.
( although we might struggle to make a good one for Troy Gray:eek:)

$_35.JPG

This is a real highlights package and they could have made a box set of 6.

So lets not get carried away with a quick 1+ minute, heavily edited Youtube packages.

We are all so called "stars" in this age of Social media and You Tube.

Lets look for our next Superstar at the Saints!

I liked this trade. Stanley may become a good player at Geelong but I feel we can develop a very solid player with pick 21. Will we go for a forward with 21/22??

The player we get at 21 is going to be a gun. I think this draft is going to surprise a lot of people.
This trade was a good move.
Rys Stanley is huge ????'s.
I remember clearly saying at the start of the year that he needs a big season just to stay on the list. Pick 21 was a steal.

Whoever we pick at 21 had better win the GF sprint... or it's a one way ticket to delistingville!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back