The cruelest cut.

Remove this Banner Ad

I would wait for the PSD to redraft Simpson. Pass on our last pick. He doesn't even nominate for the national draft and most of the potential competition will be out of the picture.
Not sure we can do it that way, I think you have to use at least three picks. Even if all three are rookie upgrades, you still have to use them. Otherwise why bother with the preseason draft? You could just delist him and resign him on the same day as a delisted free agent during the 2nd period for that after the main draft.

I hope I'm wrong but was told about 6 weeks ago that the sharks think that there is a chance Duffy will being playing for them next year. And no I can not tell you who.
I know people won't believe anything I say since the Jack Darling innuendo (which I'll stand by), but I heard that while others had been told of their status, Duffy hadn't. This was like a month ago and from someone at Claremont via South Fremantle (I know – what do they know?).

I know people won't believe anything I say since the Jack Darling innuendo (which I'll stand by), but I heard that while others had been told of their status, Duffy hadn't. This was like a month ago and from someone at Claremont via South Fremantle (I know – what do they know?).
Actually we didn't believe anything you said before the Darling call either. Anyway, will you stand by this if it also proves to be wrong?

Actually we didn't believe anything you said before the Darling call either. Anyway, will you stand by this if it also proves to be wrong?
Sure man. Not every potential trade or delisting actually ends up happening. At one stage Aaron Black was going to play for Freo, and I'm sure there's plenty of scenarios that were going to play out but didn't. Doesn't make them moot.

I think the decision the list managers have to make this year is one of the toughest we've ever had. We need to cut a player from our list and it an almost impossible choice.

The player in most danger is Simpson as he is not contracted. They might be trying to convince him to rookie. But it would be a tempting target for other teams.

Griffin and Hannath seem to be the other options.

I don't like any option. What do others think?
Not even in the slightest way are they even close to getting delisted this year.

Last edited:
Even if we do delist him (I really really hope we don't), I doubt it'd be back to the WAFL. He showed enough in the Cats game this year that he'd surely get picked up by another club.
I think the point is that some at the sharks thick he MAY not be playing with us. As I said I hope it's does not happen I have loved watching him play in the wafl for last few seasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But because you're a rookie does mean you can't play in the main squad till you're upgraded. We're not going to do that to our best 22
Simpson stays on list, gets mystery illness. Mcpharlin upgraded!!

If Josh Simpson gets all his off field issues right, do you guys think he has the talent to get to Stephen hill's level?

If Josh Simpson gets all his off field issues right, do you guys think he has the talent to get to Stephen hill's level?

No he's damaged goods - if he gets delisted by the club, no other club should take the risk on him

(am i doing this right guys?)

Different sort of player. Hill is quite unique with his abilities, the straight line acceleration, decision making and laser guided left boot. Incredibly damaging.
Simpson is maybe more like a Daniel Wells type. Agile, great at getting through traffic and dual sided. Potentially a very exciting talent.

I think realistically we're looking at one, if not, no players out of contract - with a tough decision to make. The club were probably counting on upgrading one of their later picks with a contracted player but the offers or gains were too small to justify, so now they're left with a tough task.

Yeah, that article would suggest we won't be picking him up again. Shame really, so much talent.

If you consistently fail to meet the standards required though then so be it I guess. He's obviously got some issues but it's a pretty ruthless business to be in, we can't look after him year after year if we don't think he'll make the cut in the end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back