Resource www.footyjumpers.com

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe the intent was the Gold jumper was designed to be the Home jumper.
As shown in the earliest mock-ups of the logo
bb.jpg

And the brown ones turned up before the trial vs Hawthorn and they just kept them as a clash top?

Exactly that. The guernseys were meant to be predominantly gold (remember there was no concept of home/away/clash back then) but the designers stuffed up and provided the Bears with predominantly brown jumpers instead. They had to wear them on the day because they had nothing else, but found that the all brown back provided a better contrast against the predominantly gold strips of Hawthorn and West Coast.

So while they were eventually provided with the proper, predominantly gold jumpers before Round 1, the Bears kept the brown jumpers as a 'clash' strip

Exactly that. The guernseys were meant to be predominantly gold (remember there was no concept of home/away/clash back then) but the designers stuffed up and provided the Bears with predominantly brown jumpers instead. They had to wear them on the day because they had nothing else, but found that the all brown back provided a better contrast against the predominantly gold strips of Hawthorn and West Coast.

So while they were eventually provided with the proper, predominantly gold jumpers before Round 1, the Bears kept the brown jumpers as a 'clash' strip
Accidental pioneers of the clash top in the AFL :p

Mero, with logo changes like Richmond's and the Bulldogs, where there are multiple or inverse images used, how do you determine which one is the official logo? Especially with the Bulldogs as there seems to be three or four iterations already, each with a slight change.

upload_2014-10-18_14-12-55.png
To illustrate my point, the above is a quick grab from from Richmond's Facebook page (the top logo is part of their banner, the bottom logo is their profile pic).

In the case of Richmond the official logo is black text on a white background. Inverses are only used because blocks of colour look better from a design point of view when creating things like profile pictures, banner headers etc.

Hey Mero, just with the Hawthorn 2005 Round 5 jumper you just posed on the site, I think you're missing the pinstripes (best photo i could find of them in this photo here).
54411.jpg

View attachment 87978
To illustrate my point, the above is a quick grab from from Richmond's Facebook page (the top logo is part of their banner, the bottom logo is their profile pic).
I bloody hate that top one that has more white, shouldn't be used at all, on lighter backgrounds the bottom one works fine with a white border

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you thought about adding International Rules jerseys and QLD and NSW SOO jumpers? It might be a good idea.
QLD and NSW SoO? You mean the one that's a different sport?

I agree with the International Rules though, I think Klim and I raised the idea a while back, but I don't think anything came of it

I agree with the International Rules though, I think Klim and I raised the idea a while back, but I don't think anything came of it
He means the Queensland and NSW State of Origin footy jumpers.

I don't have pictures of Queensland but I've seen it before. I'm not sure if it was on here but I remember it was maroon with a logo on the front. New South Wales I have pictures of but I can't post them. My iPad can't post pictures. But they should be on here soon.

I don't have pictures of Queensland but I've seen it before. I'm not sure if it was on here but I remember it was maroon with a logo on the front. New South Wales I have pictures of but I can't post them. My iPad can't post pictures. But they should be on here soon.
Qld in the State Champs use a prison bar concept and I am sure it was used in the early 80s as I have seen jumpers (like the State Champs) signed by players like Dunstall, etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back