Rumour The Thread formerly known as the rumour file, now with zero rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen many people suggest he'd be a wonderful addition to our staff on the back of the talented list he's managed to assemble at GWS but I'm convinced that's a terrible way of looking at things. You'd have to be the worst list manager in the world to not build an incredibly talented list on the back of the concessions handed to that club by the AFL. For mine, his work with GWS is just about irrelevant.
Smart post as usual from J. All SOS has done at GWS is prove he is pretty handy at aiming an uzi at a barrel of fish.

I actually much prefer the idea of him back in the coaching ranks with us.

I think the Club is best placed to make this decision although I can understand that people will have strong views about both sides of the discussion. Hopefully the Club can get it right. I am hopeful of a good outcome. However it is hard to predict how things like this go, it all depends on so many factors and a lot of stuff we will never know about and there is always a bit of luck involved. If it is bad luck, good management will see that we cop a minimum of negative and no doubt in good time everything will be ok. Would be good to see SOS back at the Club - if that is what the Club wants to happen. Of course SOS may have something to say about it all as well - not to mention his wife and extended family and maybe some close friends. Wouldn't wish to see him at Collingwood or Essendon though or even Richmond or Hawthorn - that would be a shame and heads might have to roll - I mean this figuratively, heads should never bee chopped off - that is gross. Look lets be honest here, if anyone does lose their job over all this Carlton should pitch in and make sure they are looked after, no use burning bridges because you never know where people end up - can anyone think of a good example of all this? I just hope that we all just take a chill pill and go with the flow I don't think those people who are no longer or will no longer or might no longer be at Carlton should be thought of too badly and I hope that they have a great life afterwards too.:)

Well said JustaBattler :thumbsu:

I can't put forward an absolute argument why SOS shouldn't come aboard as List Manager but I would want the check list to be ticked off on every point and for any appointment not to tick-off those that have been doing a great job to date.

Granted that there's a sound argument that the board should be able to appoint anyone they choose but I just hope that it does have the approval and endorsement of all that are basically doing the job right now.

I think there is need for a stand-alone List Manager but I wouldn't be happy should the prodigal son get the better end of the deal because he happens to be friends with the right people.
That shouldn't happen of course.....................but it does.

If he's the best man for a job, then get him.

If he's not, then welcome him back as a Carlton legend, don't ever EVER fall back into the "jobs for the boys" habits we used to have.

SOS was always my favourite, so I hate him being on the outer.

It was always rumoured that SOS was going to come back to the Blues, he just wasn't going to while "they" were still around. "They" being the likes of Ratten, Sticks etc.

Smart post as usual from J. All SOS has done at GWS is prove he is pretty handy at aiming an uzi at a barrel of fish.

I actually much prefer the idea of him back in the coaching ranks with us.
Criminally underrating the guy based on an external view.

Building the GWS list took much more than just "heres a bunch of early draft picks". SOS has been very active through all the trade periods acquiring high end draft picks so that they had an elite squad. They took the long term view of building the club with youngsters.

If you go back over their list management and what they were actually given, youll notice that they managed to get many more picks by smart trading and moving. Then you add in the additions of Lamb, Mumford, Griffen, Ward, and Scully and youll see that it wasnt just a simple task (if anything, he had to be very balanced in his approach and not just pick "best available", because he had a full squad to build).

Love SOS as much as the next Carlton supporter, but really is there a job at the club for him?
Between Macca and Shane Rogers we look as if we've got the list management under control.

Only the guys themselves could honestly answer that but from the outside at least, there seems to be cause for someone else involved.

Recruiter recruits and keeps a data base on all the kids he's viewed.
The GM of football operations probably has enough to do already without being involved.
A List Manager talks to players and players managers throughout the year and primes the right types to get to Carlton whether it be that year, the next or even some time further into the future.

Noticed just how tired Rogers was in the interview. Just not sure whether he should have been involved directly at the Trade Table.

It would be welcome to hear from anyone that has better insight into the mechanics of these departments.

See that Pelchen quits / left the Saints, was weird that we 'assured' the Saints recently we wernt trying to poach him (so we deny any rumour we are into him ?) - not sure if would be a good fit in a role with us or not

See that Pelchen quits / left the Saints, was weird that we 'assured' the Saints recently we wernt trying to poach him (so we deny any rumour we are into him ?) - not sure if would be a good fit in a role with us or not

From a poster on the Saints board

Hey guys, I know Chris quite well, and I can tell you that he has indeed quit (not sacked). He has been offered the head of football position at Carlton... watch this space.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/chris-pelchen-quits.1080465/page-2#post-35819462

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is pelchen a recruiter or list manager?

Didn't he draft Thorpe over selwood, x Ellis over Kennedy and pendlebury and take beau dowler pick 6?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Pelchen is a knob. The guy came out during trade period at the Hawks a few years back and was trying to off load Mitch Thorpe - on the record as saying they would take nothing less than a first rounder for him. Of course he then got delisted and no one wanted him.

Pelchen : knob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back