List Mgmt. Mitch Brown and Joel Hamling delisted with Hunt

Remove this Banner Ad

we expect everyone to play seniors

and be stars from day 1
I think the expectation is fair for a guy who has been drafted onto an AFL list that he may play AFL. I don't think we expect all players to be stars from day 1, but if the media/grapevine has been talking up a player then our expectations are higher. But I think most people accept that not everyone makes it to the big dance. Some people have bad luck with injuries, and others just prove to be not good enough. That's the crap shoot all teams play at Draft time.

I love this move from Geelong. I don't think Taylor Hunt is a hard worker, and he hasn't improved since 2013, get him out of the club. Mitch Brown is so severely inconsistent, and never put on bulk. Hamling was similar. We need players like Bews and Guthrie who will work themselves to death in pre season to earn the privilege of playing for Geelong.

I love this move from Geelong. I don't think Taylor Hunt is a hard worker, and he hasn't improved since 2013, get him out of the club. Mitch Brown is so severely inconsistent, and never put on bulk. Hamling was similar. We need players like Bews and Guthrie who will work themselves to death in pre season to earn the privilege of playing for Geelong.

Explain Jordan Murdoch then?

Th vfl side have lost this year's top three vote getters for next year. Not a lot can be taken from the vfl bnf.
I agree that not a lot can be taken from the VFL B&F. The more games you play, the more votes you are eligible to get. If you're a decent player, not quite good enough to get AFL games- for whatever reason- then you'll accumulate votes. The better players get AFL games so miss out on VFL votes.... if that makes sense. (It made sense in my head :))

Ben Newton has spent four years on Port Adelaide's list, as I understand it.

And, of course, the other question that should be asked is: why didn't the team cut its losses with a lot of these players last year, when there were strong signs that most of them weren't going to make it? We cut senior players that played vital roles at their new homes in 2014 and we made two of the first four rookie elevation picks in 2013 (i.e. we were upgrading rookies - one of whom lasted a year before being delisted - when almost everyone else was still using live picks). Only GWS' active picks were finished earlier than ours. When we look at what we did in the 2013/14 offseason and what we've currently done in the 2014/15 offseason, it doesn't look like a consistent purpose is there. It looks like a bit of a mess, frankly.

No question. One can only hope that it's evidence that there is not actually a 'consistent purpose' operating.

Because hopefully their altered approach would indicate that they've changed direction and are pursuing a different policy.

I'm not convinced at all by what I can see of where they're heading at the moment. And I agree they could/should have moved a number of these blokes on last year. Hindsight is a truly wonderful thing.

Ultimately, though, I'm comfortable they're not compounding the 'error' made by continuing to perpetuate it.

At least in that particular segment of our overall list management strategy there appears to be some willingness to embrace the lessons of recent times.

They might not have a better plan. Only time will tell. But I, for one, am relieved that they are at least going with a somewhat different plan.

That's until you come to the ruck issue. Where continued obstinacy regarding the possible future effectiveness and durability of Daws and HMac appears to still have free reign.

Very surprised by Hamling. Saw him several times in VFL and always looked good to me. Was never going to be a Domsy type replacement but at 21 I thought he would at least get a shot in the Mackie role.

I guess that means that Kolo and Toohey have impressed enough to allow Hammer to go without even getting a call up - and they have to get games this year.

Go Catters

Really surprising decision. This is not a very Geelong move, IMO. He deserved one more shot.

I don't want a skinny tall ever drafted again if you are going to delist one after two years and the other after his body is finally match hardened.

I have been pretty positive on here, but I am not happy about this one.

He's body might have hardened but his mind didn't. Seen him duck the head on more than 1 occasion in the VFL and take the odd short step also. That's not on for any player, let alone AFL listed players.

Surprised by Hamling.. I don't usually watch the VFL but if this forum is anything to go by, we were expecting him to play seniors next year?

Sort of. But personally, I would have only been expecting it because it was his fourth year and he was still on the list...it's hard to think of anyone besides Luke Lowden who took more than four years to crack a senior game since being drafted, without multiple long-term injuries contributing. Hell, big Daws got a couple of games in his third year and he was more raw than a Florentine steak.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Broken record time: Hamling never had the foot skills, ball winning ability or play reading ability to play the "Mackie role". He didn't do it in the VFL so was certainly not going to do it in the AFL. He was being groomed as a key defender so the decision to cut him says they believed he could not make it in that role. Size may have counted against him.

Personally, I saw some good signs but I will defer to those closer to the decision. I'm just keen to know now what we are going to make of such a speculative draft pick.

Does anybody else get the feeling that Hamling and Brown might be more based on the players wanting a shot somewhere else rather than the club really wanting to move on? How often do we delist talls after 3 years at the club, let alone guys who we knew were project players when we drafted them? I keep coming back to Balme saying that whether Brown stayed "wasn't my decision". To me that suggests the club offered him a contract but he wanted more opportunities. Now we delist him so he can go where he wants as a delisted free agent to another club rather than facing the lottery of the draft. To me that would make a lot more sense than just getting rid of 2 of our only youngsters who have some talent as key defenders when our depth there is so thin.

Looking at the Port board it seems Newton is a chance to walk so maybe we are still a chance to pick him up as a delisted free agent, obviating the need to use one of those useless late picks.

My understanding is that, as Newton has played 7 or less seasons, and walks, he can only move to a new club by trade or draft.

If he is delisted by the club, he becomes a delisted free agent and then can go to the club of his choice.

Broken record time: Hamling never had the foot skills, ball winning ability or play reading ability to play the "Mackie role". He didn't do it in the VFL so was certainly not going to do it in the AFL. He was being groomed as a key defender so the decision to cut him says they believed he could not make it in that role. Size may have counted against him.

Personally, I saw some good signs but I will defer to those closer to the decision. I'm just keen to know now what we are going to make of such a speculative draft pick.

Agreed. We can be surprised and shocked, but I'm not even sure he made the emergencies list in his three years at the club. And despite being a very late 'first' pick, relatively speaking, for any first pick to be delisted without cracking a game and without injuries completely derailing his career signifies that either he shouldn't have been drafted in the first place, that some serious mistakes were made with his development, or both.

My understanding is that, as Newton has played 7 or less seasons, and walks, he can only move to a new club by trade or draft.

If he is delisted by the club, he becomes a delisted free agent and then can go to the club of his choice.
Right you are.

Early in the season I would have agreed. Not late in the year though, and especially not during the finals. 16 possessions and 4 tackles in total does not scream out 'hard working' for a guy of Murdoch's pace.

Could just be a case of him not running to the right areas. Plenty of players run hard but struggle to find the ball.

jeez' that's actually pretty poor isn't it? I didn't realize he played so badly but goes to show just how awful we were this September as even newcomers who had been relatively consistent throughout the year were putting up the kind of numbers you'd expect from a sub.

Pretty much. I can see why Murdoch gets a game. Even in a quiet performance, he can pop up for a goal or two, and he has created goals out of absolutely nothing in the past (as in the Prelim last year at three quarter time). But now he's closing in on 50 games, he just has to start doing more. If he had laid 10 tackles in those two games you could at least say the effort was there, but too often he remains unsighted.

Could just be a case of him not running to the right areas. Plenty of players run hard but struggle to find the ball.

Murdoch looked a bit off later in the season. Maybe carrying something or just having a form slump like most young players do. I know he can play better, so would expect him to come good again.

Does anybody else get the feeling that Hamling and Brown might be more based on the players wanting a shot somewhere else rather than the club really wanting to move on? How often do we delist talls after 3 years at the club, let alone guys who we knew were project players when we drafted them? I keep coming back to Balme saying that whether Brown stayed "wasn't my decision". To me that suggests the club offered him a contract but he wanted more opportunities. Now we delist him so he can go where he wants as a delisted free agent to another club rather than facing the lottery of the draft. To me that would make a lot more sense than just getting rid of 2 of our only youngsters who have some talent as key defenders when our depth there is so thin.

Don't mind this theory. The only thing that makes me question it is wouldn't it have been just as easy to trade either of them in the trade period for a late pick that wasn't going to be used. I think we did this with king and Gardner. Maybe it's easier this way.

Early in the season I would have agreed. Not late in the year though, and especially not during the finals. 16 possessions and 4 tackles in total does not scream out 'hard working' for a guy of Murdoch's pace.
If you look at his stats over his career, they are consistently poor in games we lose. He is a downhill skier of the highest order. Now that TV is gone, I suspect Murdoch will become the new whipping boy (and rightfully so).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back