Not open for further replies.

HawkintheTuarts

Club Legend
Mar 27, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Wolves, Flyers
I'll do a proper update sometime in the next few days, but the first round will likely look something like...

1. St Kilda - Christian Petracca
2. Melbourne - Angus Brayshaw
3. Melbourne - Jake Lever
4. GWS - Patrick McCartin
5. Collingwood - Lachie Weller
6. GWS - Jordan DeGoey
7. GWS - Peter Wright
8. Gold Coast - Jayden Laverde
9. Collingwood - Darcy Moore
10. Geelong - Jarrod Pickett
11. West Coast - Paul Ahern
12. Richmond - Liam Duggan
13. Fremantle - Sam Durdin
14. Adelaide - Hugh Goddard
15. Gold Coast - Kyle Langford
16. North Melbourne - Tom Lamb
17. Essendon - Caleb Marchbank
18. Sydney - Isaac Heeney
19. Carlton - Corey Ellis
20. Essendon - Jarrod Garlett
21. St Kilda - Jackson Nelson

Why De Goey before Laverde (and others)?
Why Melbourne picking Lever and GWS getting both Wright and McCartin?

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
Key position players is the bottom of our needs right now Chris.

With two picks in the top 20, I feel like they can afford to take a best available. And I thought Marchbank was probably that player at 17. Ideally, that player would probably be a tall forward. But what can you do. He's clearly better than the next tall forward. Can't be too unhappy with a good KPD prospect, and he can swing forward too. Just in case Essendon doesn't have enough players who can float through at both ends.

My phantom is much more about my own rankings, whereas others are more about predicting based on rumours and media reports. So while Laverde may be the more popular pick with his speed and highlights package, I personally rate DeGoey as the better prospect. I can't quite work out whether it's David Mundy or Jack Ziebell that he reminds me of, but either way he is a big bodied versatile midfielder. And just the type of player that I like.

Otherwise, I could see Melbourne going for the pure leadership that Lever offers - and he doubles as a defensive option as well as possible midfield impact. He looks a 10 year player, and would balance the attacking style of Sam Frost quite well. I just think he'd be the better long term investment, given Jesse Hogan as well as the likes of Dawes, Watts and the ruckmen up forward.

As for GWS, with three picks in the top 7 it's purely a matter of best available. McCartin is arguably a better fit for them than Tom Boyd was, given the obvious similarities with Jonathon Patton. McCartin at full forward, Patton in the 50 and Jeremy Cameron at CHF is pretty impressive. Peter Wright, well he just couldn't slip much further. Develop him more as a ruckman. The two talls would simply be the best available, and hey it doesn't hurt to plan for the worst case scenario of another KPP leaving the club.

Bradschi

Club Legend
Jan 13, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
New England Patriots, Liverpool
Hey mate always enjoy your good work especially this time of the year.
Was wondering if there will be an update soon with the draft order now finalised after trade period?

Mullayo

Team Captain
Nov 3, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Bolton, Jax Jaguars, OKC Thunder

I'll happily take Wright and McCartin but I'd prefer Laverde over de Goeey.We have Callan Ward, Treolar, Greene and Shiel for hard on balls.Griffen will probably play there as well did for the Dogs.
I'd almost as happily take Wright and Lever and Laverde and ideally we'd somehow get Wright, McCartin and Lever. Won't happen.

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hey mate always enjoy your good work especially this time of the year.
Was wondering if there will be an update soon with the draft order now finalised after trade period?

Hopefully in the next few days, there's an updated first round on the previous page though.

Chris, who do you reckon the blues will take with their first four picks (19, 28, 61, 65)?

Who knows. Carlton need pretty much everything, which at least means they can just go best available since it will fill a need regardless of who the player is. But otherwise check out the first page, or wait until I update in a few days. Probably midfielders though.

Doggone

Draftee
Jun 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Chris

A very impartial follower of the game now, but I'm curious as to Langford
He's seems to be clearly " in "everyone's first round, but is rarely talked about. Is that because he's not the standout midfielder or big Kpp.

Doggone ( how ironic my title by the way)

Mr Peabody

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Maybe. I think a lot will depend on what happens with Josh Simpson. Personally, there'd be no question if I was in charge. He'd be getting another year. Clem Smith is probably the one we have our eye on in the second round if it's speed we're after though.

Hi Chris. First of all, many thanks for what you do each year. While I have only joined the forum recently, I've been an avid reader for years and at this time of the year, I'm stalking your posts. It's's a bonus you have good taste in footy teams as well.

Question - With where Freo are at, Lloyd has pretty much confirmed we're looking to only use picks 13 and 34 for new additions to the club which suggests to me a latter main draft (or rookie) pick may be used for re-drafting a delisted player. You obviously rate Simpson highly,per your comment above, so who would you delist if it was you making the call and who do you think the club has in their sights? (e.g C.Pearce, Hannath, Griffin, Duffy) ?

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hi Chris. First of all, many thanks for what you do each year. While I have only joined the forum recently, I've been an avid reader for years and at this time of the year, I'm stalking your posts. It's's a bonus you have good taste in footy teams as well.

Question - With where Freo are at, Lloyd has pretty much confirmed we're looking to only use picks 13 and 34 for new additions to the club which suggests to me a latter main draft (or rookie) pick may be used for re-drafting a delisted player. You obviously rate Simpson highly,per your comment above, so who would you delist if it was you making the call and who do you think the club has in their sights? (e.g C.Pearce, Hannath, Griffin, Duffy) ?

Firstly, I do rate Simpson highly. In his draft year, I rated him a top 10 (even top 5 at times) prospect. And being the draft fan that I am, I will always stick with talent if it were up to me. Obviously it's different when you're actually running a club though, and you can't be having too much off the field drama going on. But, Simpson could be every bit as good as Michael Walters and I'd hate to give up on that.

It's a tough question though, as to who to get rid of. And if I were a betting man, it'd be Simpson with the view of re-drafting him. Personally, I probably would have tried trading either Suban or Clancee. I've seen Duffy mentioned a few times on the Fremantle board, but there's no chance I'd be getting rid of him.

Mmmm wouldn't mind AHern, but would prefer Duggan. He just projects as a better player and I think could transition well to a balanced mid

I've got them pretty even, probably Duggan slightly higher. Think maybe the goal scoring ability of Ahern could get him over the line though, and his general x factor would allow the Eagles to draft some midfield size in the later rounds. Plus, ideally Waterman develops into a similar player to Duggan.

Chris

A very impartial follower of the game now, but I'm curious as to Langford
He's seems to be clearly " in "everyone's first round, but is rarely talked about. Is that because he's not the standout midfielder or big Kpp.

Doggone ( how ironic my title by the way)

I think it could partly be because people are unsure on his position, and others have been more dominant this year. A skinny flanker/midfielder is always risky in the first round, and another reason could be that people don't want to stick their necks out on such a proposition. I imagine actual recruiters though would be quite taken with Langford, due to his measurements, versatility and skill set. One of the things I like most is that he has long arms, and despite his 73kg frame, is quite strong in the hands. Just seems to have that knack of getting a hand in and taking the ball away. He has lots of little things to his game that are difficult to teach.

Doggone

Draftee
Jun 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Firstly, I do rate Simpson highly. In his draft year, I rated him a top 10 (even top 5 at times) prospect. And being the draft fan that I am, I will always stick with talent if it were up to me. Obviously it's different when you're actually running a club though, and you can't be having too much off the field drama going on. But, Simpson could be every bit as good as Michael Walters and I'd hate to give up on that.

It's a tough question though, as to who to get rid of. And if I were a betting man, it'd be Simpson with the view of re-drafting him. Personally, I probably would have tried trading either Suban or Clancee. I've seen Duffy mentioned a few times on the Fremantle board, but there's no chance I'd be getting rid of him.

I've got them pretty even, probably Duggan slightly higher. Think maybe the goal scoring ability of Ahern could get him over the line though, and his general x factor would allow the Eagles to draft some midfield size in the later rounds. Plus, ideally Waterman develops into a similar player to Duggan.

I think it could partly be because people are unsure on his position, and others have been more dominant this year. A skinny flanker/midfielder is always risky in the first round, and another reason could be that people don't want to stick their necks out on such a proposition. I imagine actual recruiters though would be quite taken with Langford, due to his measurements, versatility and skill set. One of the things I like most is that he has long arms, and despite his 73kg frame, is quite strong in the hands. Just seems to have that knack of getting a hand in and taking the ball away. He has lots of little things to his game that are difficult to teach.

Chris, I think that's a fair comment. I watch the Taccup a bit, and the times I saw Langford, he made things happen. He's strong in his hands supported by his marking and even his tackling and simply reads the game naturally.

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Got around to doing a full update on the first page. Will just have to have a look through later, and make sure it's right. The new additions to the draft were Jack Hiscox, Bailey Dale, Ben Edwards, Aidan Anderson, Josh McGuinness, Tom Faul, Hugh Beasley, Brett Turner and Josh Clayton.

And, I know teams will be upgrading rookies as opposed to picking into the fourth round. But including rookie upgrades is boring.

Bradschi

Club Legend
Jan 13, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
New England Patriots, Liverpool
Hopefully in the next few days, there's an updated first round on the previous page though.

Who knows. Carlton need pretty much everything, which at least means they can just go best available since it will fill a need regardless of who the player is. But otherwise check out the first page, or wait until I update in a few days. Probably midfielders though.
Great job on covering the draftees so far mate.
Had a look at the updated version, if you have time, would you mind describing what Ellis, Markov and McLean are as players and their potential?
Also I have heard a few supporters jumping on the Connor Mennadue bandwagon, what's he like as well?
Cheers

Last edited:

x_les_x

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Interesting picks you have for port there chris, a bit sceptical on ben Edwards, a source said he was a jake pitt type; talented but light bodied and inevitably he was not drafted. Same person said st kilda and GWS were red hot on lonie, aiden Anderson and mcclean likewise panos and Richmond. Jackson looks a very realistic option. Just wanted to ask who else would be an option you would think at pick 57?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back