Polls Thread Mk III

Remove this Banner Ad

Some bad poll numbers out for the Coalition today, down Federally and in Victoria. Federally it continues the run of ALP wins and reaffirms the underlying trend of an ALP lead 52-48 which many have been claiming for some time.

Victoria is pointing now to NSW/Qld style government wipe outs. With nothing less than what can be called satuatrion government advertising in recen months. This has seen the government lose all the ground that they were said to of made up in the first half of the year and now be in the same position as 12 months ago when a white wash was predicted (and I've been saying to anyone willing to listen for 2 years now)

Federal
TPP:

Lib/Nat - 47 (-2)
ALP - 53 (+2)

Primary
Lib/Nat - 38 (-3)
ALP - 34 (No change)
Greens - 14 (+3)
Other - 14

Prefered PM
Abbott 39; net rating -15
Shortern 38; net rating -11

Victoria
TPP

Lib/Nat - 45 (-1)
ALP - 55 (+1)

Federal Labor has done bugger all in a full year so it is amazing how they have surged ahead like this. Really shows how bad Abbott has been.
They know to keep quiet and let Rabbit self immolate.

Even when given a rolled gold opportunity to appear to be a worthy leader following the Ukrainian incident he thumped his chest and painted Australia in a very poor light talking of fighting Putin.

The man is incompetent.

Not sure but the members of the Labor Party had a better idea of who should lead the party than the unions do. Albo would be a much more likeable leader who seems to have more left wing values.
I have been impressed with Chris Bowen lately but don't know much about him.

I have been impressed with Chris Bowen lately but don't know much about him.

I could be wrong but I think Bowen is part of the NSW Right faction. I really think Labor, if they want to do well needs to present themselves as a genuine alternative to the Liberals and they are not going to be able to do that if they keep electing members of the right faction as their leader.

How much better would the figures would be if Labor had a decent leader?
I'm not sure it matters in Australian politics anymore - people largely seem to vote for the "least worst" option rather than the best option.

Most Victorians wouldn't know Daniel Andrews if he walked into their office with a nametag that says "Hi, I'm Daniel Andrews" - yet he's way ahead in the polls because he isn't Napthine.

FWIW I actually sat next to Napthine and his family last Sunday at dinner - pleasant enough guy.

Perhaps the Abbott experience can re-convince people that it's better to vote for something than against something else. Whitlam's death is giving the entire nation a lesson on just how far the quality of our politics has fallen today.

and how a party can get elected with no firm policies. Abbott did it last year and odds are Shorten will be able to do that in 2 years time if trends continue. It is disgusting that this can happen and that people vote for parties that have not told the people what they want to do when in office.

Perhaps the Abbott experience can re-convince people that it's better to vote for something than against something else. Whitlam's death is giving the entire nation a lesson on just how far the quality of our politics has fallen today.
The problem is, the last person who actually gave people something to vote FOR was Kevin Rudd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure it matters in Australian politics anymore - people largely seem to vote for the "least worst" option rather than the best option.

Most Victorians wouldn't know Daniel Andrews if he walked into their office with a nametag that says "Hi, I'm Daniel Andrews" - yet he's way ahead in the polls because he isn't Napthine.

FWIW I actually sat next to Napthine and his family last Sunday at dinner - pleasant enough guy.

I have never voted Liberal and probably never will with the direction they are going but in saying that I can't think of a reason why Labor deserves to win in the upcoming state election. I also feel uncomfortable that Andrews does not have any real world experience having gone straight into politics after finishing University.

I have never voted Liberal and probably never will with the direction they are going but in saying that I can't think of a reason why Labor deserves to win in the upcoming state election. I also feel uncomfortable that Andrews does not have any real world experience having gone straight into politics after finishing University.

Well we had a businessman (bailleeu) who was spectacularly bad at government

Well we had a businessman (bailleeu) who was spectacularly bad at government
Damn you got me on that one. I will be on my way now....
KBNcZ.gif

and how a party can get elected with no firm policies. Abbott did it last year and odds are Shorten will be able to do that in 2 years time if trends continue. It is disgusting that this can happen and that people vote for parties that have not told the people what they want to do when in office.
Shorten and labor has still got more policies then this incompetent coalition government

Labor will bring back price on carbon , FTTH NBN, Gonski, School kid bonus, etc

They should probably leave off the school kids bonus.

I would like Bill Shorten to come out and flatly say "we are going to raise taxes on those on an upper middle income or high income and we are going to reduce corporate welfare" or something to that effect. Really give the people of Australia something to vote for and if the people do not realise these measures are necessary for the good of the budget then they will get Abbott who will go in the opposite direction and will cut more and more from the poorest in the country.

I would like Bill Shorten to come out and flatly say "we are going to raise taxes on those on an upper middle income or high income and we are going to reduce corporate welfare" or something to that effect. Really give the people of Australia something to vote for and if the people do not realise these measures are necessary for the good of the budget then they will get Abbott who will go in the opposite direction and will cut more and more from the poorest in the country.
Corporate welfares been cut after Labor.

No it hasn't. There are still plenty of ways the really big businesses are getting discounts from the Federal government such as that fuel excise to big mining companies or even big multinational companies using tax loop holes to avoid paying what they should be paying.
Pretty positively sure the government is wanting to correct tax. As for these they are nowhere near as bad as all those car cockups.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back