List Mgmt. Swans Best 22 for 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

The more I've been thinking about 2015 the more I'm getting excited about the opportunities that are presenting themselves...

I'm pumped about both Jones & Rohan. When I first saw both of them I was very impressed to say the least. I expect Jones to be the "surprise" of 2015. While I expect a full preseason and a little less leg discomfort for Rohan to go a long way to seeing him finally start to build upon what we already know is there. I can see both as solid, aggressive, fast, agile tackling machines in 2015 and we need at least Rohans (if not both their) energy, pace and aggression next year.

However IMO Reid in particular will have a massive role to play next year. His flexibility and ability to play multiple roles to a good enough standard, consistently, will be a major factor in our ultimate success. I hope he hits the gym hard this off season, bulks up like crazy and can start to turn into a dominant player. He's got height, great agility for that height and I reckon can clunk a grab when he's on. If he just put on some muscle he'd not get pushed out of the contest so much and hold his own in the 1-on-1. I want to see him get aggressive, split a pack every now and then, rag doll a bloke if he can. Just get that fire and aggression into his game that seems to be lacking. That extra strength & size could really start to help him improve, but I guess the question is simply is he able to put it on? And if he does, will it impact him negatively (i.e. injuries, lose speed etc). I suppose we'll see.

Mitchell is going to be a superstar IMO and will add a huge amount to our side. He'll take over some extraction duties from JPK every now and then which is important in keeping the midfield fresh through the year. He can go forward and slot a goal but I'd rather see him and Benny rotating through the middle with JPK/Jack/Hanners. If we push Jetta more forward, push Macca more back... Boom. It's a thing of beauty as far as I'm concerned.

There's Laids & DRex we can get more out of potentially and provide solid experienced depth. Towers and Nanker are both waiting in the wings. There's Aliir and XR who are both potentially important depth in defence as well and I'd be more than happy to see one of the getting more regular game time in 2015... But in all honesty, I don't see how they could fit in without some serious injuries and/or form slumps.

We have some great young talent in amidst our ranks. Let's not focus on how risky it is to have Teddy, Shaw, Goodes play on. Or how 'lazy' Jetta might have looked on GF day... Let's look ahead to 2015 and seeing if our young guys can step up and put pressure on those already in the starting side. I hope they can and do and get rewarded for it.

This last month could be as much a turning point in our clubs history as anything else. Humiliated on the biggest day in 2014. Further trodden on by the AFL after a year of being beaten around by the media with the hoards lapping it up making them feel better about themselves. I can see us, and more importantly our "depth", grabbing this opportunity and building something special. I'm actually quite positive about 2015, I hope we come out breathing fire and smash everyone and everything.

This last month could be as much a turning point in our clubs history as anything else. Humiliated on the biggest day in 2014. Further trodden on by the AFL after a year of being beaten around by the media with the hoards lapping it up making them feel better about themselves. I can see us, and more importantly our "depth", grabbing this opportunity and building something special. I'm actually quite positive about 2015, I hope we come out breathing fire and smash everyone and everything.
Will they have more passion than Port Adelaide who are younger, hungrier, and some of whom have already started training?

Will they have more passion than Port Adelaide who are younger, hungrier, and some of whom have already started training?

Sometimes after a debacle like we all witnessed it's better to forget about it for a while and come back refreshed. Don't care what the players do in their break as long as they come back hungrier.

Younger yes. But how are they hungrier? Good luck to them starting training now but its about 11 months to next years grandfinal and we all know what happened to the hare.

I understand your frustration. But to say Port are hungrier because they started training firstisn't fair. We're all hungry for a flag but I bet you nothing motivates a player more than knowing you performed badly in the biggest game of the year, for some of them, the biggest game of their career. Yeah ok, Port almost made it and played bravely in doing so. Thats motivation enough. We made it and got completely humiliated... I'd suggest that may be slightly more frustrating & motivating...

The more I've been thinking about 2015 the more I'm getting excited about the opportunities that are presenting themselves...

I'm pumped about both Jones & Rohan. When I first saw both of them I was very impressed to say the least. I expect Jones to be the "surprise" of 2015. While I expect a full preseason and a little less leg discomfort for Rohan to go a long way to seeing him finally start to build upon what we already know is there. I can see both as solid, aggressive, fast, agile tackling machines in 2015 and we need at least Rohans (if not both their) energy, pace and aggression next year.

However IMO Reid in particular will have a massive role to play next year. His flexibility and ability to play multiple roles to a good enough standard, consistently, will be a major factor in our ultimate success. I hope he hits the gym hard this off season, bulks up like crazy and can start to turn into a dominant player. He's got height, great agility for that height and I reckon can clunk a grab when he's on. If he just put on some muscle he'd not get pushed out of the contest so much and hold his own in the 1-on-1. I want to see him get aggressive, split a pack every now and then, rag doll a bloke if he can. Just get that fire and aggression into his game that seems to be lacking. That extra strength & size could really start to help him improve, but I guess the question is simply is he able to put it on? And if he does, will it impact him negatively (i.e. injuries, lose speed etc). I suppose we'll see.

Mitchell is going to be a superstar IMO and will add a huge amount to our side. He'll take over some extraction duties from JPK every now and then which is important in keeping the midfield fresh through the year. He can go forward and slot a goal but I'd rather see him and Benny rotating through the middle with JPK/Jack/Hanners. If we push Jetta more forward, push Macca more back... Boom. It's a thing of beauty as far as I'm concerned.

There's Laids & DRex we can get more out of potentially and provide solid experienced depth. Towers and Nanker are both waiting in the wings. There's Aliir and XR who are both potentially important depth in defence as well and I'd be more than happy to see one of the getting more regular game time in 2015... But in all honesty, I don't see how they could fit in without some serious injuries and/or form slumps.

We have some great young talent in amidst our ranks. Let's not focus on how risky it is to have Teddy, Shaw, Goodes play on. Or how 'lazy' Jetta might have looked on GF day... Let's look ahead to 2015 and seeing if our young guys can step up and put pressure on those already in the starting side. I hope they can and do and get rewarded for it.

I don't want Hannas to be playing inside Mid at all, I like him on the wing as an outside receiver. I want natural extractors giving the ball out to players like Kizza, Hannas, Jets, Harry etc. In other words I want Joey, Mitch, Parks, Georgie boy, Isaac & Birdie extracting and giving to the group I mentioned but add Hiscox, Perris & BJ to the mix.

Zac Jones on hB makes me excited. A real hard nut Zac, takes not shite from anyone. Nanka & Naismith, Xav & aliir as you have mentioned also have to get game time. I think we could play a more horses for courses team next season. Not a best 22 but a best for the current situation, match ups.

I believe Mills is seen as a top 5 Draft Pick too. I have seen a bit of him & he is super exciting. Hard & a very strong mark. Super extractor, him and George work very well together. Then again George is the distributor, wonderful decision making & great delivery both sides. He kicks 60 metres with no fuss and it is always to our advantage.

I think the future very exciting and don't know how many games some of our senior players will get this year. Too many of them are very shaky under pressure and have sus delivery. We need to improve in our skills and the only way I can see that happening is if we have a turn over in personnel. Some of the players who have sus delivery are either going to have to get better fast or miss out.

I don't want Hannas to be playing inside Mid at all, I like him on the wing as an outside receiver. I want natural extractors giving the ball out to players like Kizza, Hannas, Jets, Harry etc. In other words I want Joey, Mitch, Parks, Georgie boy, Isaac & Birdie extracting and giving to the group I mentioned but add Hiscox, Perris & BJ to the mix.

Zac Jones on hB makes me excited. A real hard nut Zac, takes not shite from anyone. Nanka & Naismith, Xav & aliir as you have mentioned also have to get game time. I think we could play a more horses for courses team next season. Not a best 22 but a best for the current situation, match ups.

I believe Mills is seen as a top 5 Draft Pick too. I have seen a bit of him & he is super exciting. Hard & a very strong mark. Super extractor, him and George work very well together. Then again George is the distributor, wonderful decision making & great delivery both sides. He kicks 60 metres with no fuss and it is always to our advantage.

I think the future very exciting and don't know how many games some of our senior players will get this year. Too many of them are very shaky under pressure and have sus delivery. We need to improve in our skills and the only way I can see that happening is if we have a turn over in personnel. Some of the players who have sus delivery are either going to have to get better fast or miss out.
An issue with that of course is guys you've mentioned have little to zero AFL seniors elite level experience. They may seem to have amazing disposal eff etc but throw them in tge deep end all at once & they could be found out.

I never the less agree. Our future looks bright & I hope we adopt a more horses for courses type selection proxess next year. Most importantly we blood as much youth as possible evenly throughout the year. Just one a week kinda thing... Reckon Jones could hold a spot. As could Heenz by all accounts.

I want Heeney and Mitchell to be playing every game next year as we know how good Mitchell is in the clearances and Heeney is supposed to be very good in that area as well. We can no longer accept being smashed in the clearances. Kennedy, Mitchell and Heeney need to be our backbone in the midfield and give our outside players first use of the ball.

you should go for port then

We can criticise our club by comparing to a better example of another club without actually wanting to support said other club. Didn't you heap praise on Clarkson after the GF?

We can criticise our club by comparing to a better example of another club without actually wanting to support said other club. Didn't you heap praise on Clarkson after the GF?

Dont know about it doing it every single post week after week but each to their own

Dont know about it doing it every single post week after week but each to their own

I can only comment on that one comment, I don't see his posts week after week gushing about Port but I'm sure you could point them out.

One thing I am slightly worried about is the Swans depth

Aliir
Bird
Cunningham
Davis

Derickx
Franklin
Goodes
Grundy
Hannebery

Heeney
Hewett
Hiscox

B.Jack
K.Jack
Jetta

Johnson
Jones
Kennedy
Laidler
Lloyd

Marsh
McGlynn
McVeigh
Mitchell

Naismith
Nankervis

Parker
Perris
Pyke
Rampe
Reid
T.Richards

X.Richards
Robinson

Rohan
Shaw
Smith
Tippett

Towers

Black - proven AFL players who are in no danger of losing form due to age in 2015
Red - Older players who are in the best 22 on paper but could lose form dramatically in 2015
Blue - Players who have shown a bit at an AFL level but have not proven themselves to be proper AFL players yet
Green - Player who has been injured so much we cannot rely on them to play in 2015
Purple - Have not proven themselves at an AFL level yet (with little to no experience in AFL games)

If anyone does not want to count that then the results are

Black - 19
Red - 4
Blue - 4
Green - 1
Purple - 11

The worry for me is that there is not a lot of depth there especially if two or three of the red players lose so much form they need to be dropped. If we are going to be contenders for the premiership quite a few of the purple category players are going to have to step up.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That isn't uncommon for a top 4 side though. You generally have your top 25, they are the ones you expect to win the flag with. Heeney, Jones, Towers to come on though!

I agree and the point is we didn't have the luxury of Heeney last year. If one of the mids is out of form he will come in. Don't write players like Hiscox, Hewett, Aliir & Xav Richards off either. Having seen them all at Twos level I believe Xav is very close and Aliir would have been pushing had he not got injured. Hewett has been sub once and will play games next year, best double sided player I have seen for a long time. Very balanced. Hiscox could be the smoky & Jetts had better sharpen up or the kid will flash past him. He's VERY hungry by the way & Davo has put quite a bit into him at the Academy.

I agree and the point is we didn't have the luxury of Heeney last year. If one of the mids is out of form he will come in. Don't write players like Hiscox, Hewett, Aliir & Xav Richards off either. Having seen them all at Twos level I believe Xav is very close and Aliir would have been pushing had he not got injured. Hewett has been sub once and will play games next year, best double sided player I have seen for a long time. Very balanced. Hiscox could be the smoky & Jetts had better sharpen up or the kid will flash past him. He's VERY hungry by the way & Davo has put quite a bit into him at the Academy.

I like that comment about Hiscox.... we're paying overs, so he'd want to be hungry to prove himself.

Totally agree re Hewett, unbelievably smooth mover, dual sided.... must play games this year

I like that comment about Hiscox.... we're paying overs

I've finally had it with comments regarding Hiscox and where he is being taken in the draft.

Clearly he is seen by another club other than the Swans as worthy of being a 2nd Round Pick so enough with the "paying overs" crap we got him at above the market rate which was set by Fremantle who certainly weren't bidding a lower 2nd Round Pick than us just for the fun of it. Our opinion as fans don't count, the clubs does and so does that of the club that offered a lower pick for him as well that we decided to match. Not paying overs for a player that has a market price set.

One thing I am slightly worried about is the Swans depth

Aliir
Bird
Cunningham
Davis

Derickx
Franklin
Goodes
Grundy
Hannebery

Heeney
Hewett
Hiscox

B.Jack
K.Jack
Jetta

Johnson
Jones
Kennedy
Laidler
Lloyd

Marsh
McGlynn
McVeigh
Mitchell

Naismith
Nankervis

Parker
Perris
Pyke
Rampe
Reid
T.Richards

X.Richards
Robinson

Rohan
Shaw
Smith
Tippett

Towers

Black - proven AFL players who are in no danger of losing form due to age in 2015
Red - Older players who are in the best 22 on paper but could lose form dramatically in 2015
Blue - Players who have shown a bit at an AFL level but have not proven themselves to be proper AFL players yet
Green - Player who has been injured so much we cannot rely on them to play in 2015
Purple - Have not proven themselves at an AFL level yet (with little to no experience in AFL games)

If anyone does not want to count that then the results are

Black - 19
Red - 4
Blue - 4
Green - 1
Purple - 11

The worry for me is that there is not a lot of depth there especially if two or three of the red players lose so much form they need to be dropped. If we are going to be contenders for the premiership quite a few of the purple category players are going to have to step up.

You could do that exact same thing with Port Adelaide. You dont really know how good your depth is if you have a good run with injuries (like us and PA)
After thier best 22, which is damn good, their depth really falls off (on paper) because they haven't been exposed to AFL level

I've finally had it with comments regarding Hiscox and where he is being taken in the draft.

Clearly he is seen by another club other than the Swans as worthy of being a 2nd Round Pick so enough with the "paying overs" crap we got him at above the market rate which was set by Fremantle who certainly weren't bidding a lower 2nd Round Pick than us just for the fun of it. Our opinion as fans don't count, the clubs does and so does that of the club that offered a lower pick for him as well that we decided to match. Not paying overs for a player that has a market price set.

Well then I'm calling it 'strategically overs' then. Id have passed.... I think going into this draft with only 1 live pick and at that stage of the draft is too restrictive considering we have a few specific depth issues. We'll have to hope to get a little lucky in the rookie draft now.

But then what does my opinion account for

Remove this Banner Ad

Back