St. Louis at Kansas City
Philadelphia
at Arizona
Indianapolis at Pittsburgh
Oakland at Cleveland
Green Bay at New Orleans
Washington at Dallas

Brasher’s Week 8 Musings

San Diego at Denver You want to know how the NFL can subtly influence a season’s outcome? Look no further than the Broncos’ schedule for the last four weeks. Home then Jets away, 49ers on a Sunday night at home and now they get a key divisional rivalry game at home on a short week. Why don’t they make the team that his hosting the TNF game travel the week before just to even it up a bit?

Detroit vs Atlanta So ineffective is the Falcons offensive line they are better off abandoning any pretence of pass blocking and adopting a flag football approach to the offense. Report 10 eligible receivers, have Ryan stand in the shotgun and see if he can get a pass off before the rush arrives. I’m not sure he would have any less time than as it stands now.

Baltimore at Cincinnati If you can’t muster 200 yards of total offense against the Colts what chance do the Bengals have against the Ravens? The question is who is to blame if you have one of the most talented rosters in the AFC. By all reports Head Coach Marv Lewis a quiet and unassuming guy, a predisposition I recommend he maintain for at least the remainder of this season.

Buffalo at New York Jets Jets’ GM John Idzik gave up virtually nothing to secure the services of Percy Harvin last week from a team with no on the field reason to trade him. This probably tells you a lot about how bad things were off the field in Seattle with Harvin. But the NYJs dance to their own beat including retaining Idzik and Ryan when mediocrity has become the benchmark in Jetland.

Chicago at New England Brady carves up bad opposition defences. The Bears have a bad defense. But that isn’t where this game is going to be decided. I read somewhere that when Cutler doesn’t throw any intercepts the Bears win, when he does throw at least one they lose. So Brady gets to take a back seat this week to his defense and which Cutler shows up.

Houston at Tennessee If the Titans has anyone other than Charlie Whitehurst at QB they could well have gone into this weekend 4-3 and heading to 5-3. The Texans pass rush is going to give Whitehurst grief all day here but that is sort of moot, pressured or not, he won’t complete more than 40% of his passes anyway. Whitehurst’s best performance might be not fumbling when he gets sacked.

Miami at Jacksonville Phins QB Ryan Tannehill reminds me of the bad old days of Australian Cricket. Just when the selectors look ready to drop someone who hasn’t performed they put in a reasonable innings to keep their place for another game. This win should do enough to keep the Pats honest for another week and make it more and more likely the Jets will finish last in the division.

Minnesota at Tampa Bay Has any division in football been any more disappointing then the NFC South? No other division had the talking heads so divided on who was going to emerge as eventual Divisional Champion and half way through the season, nothing has changed in that regard, although for totally different reasons. I’m taking the Bucs here who picked up half a game last week on their rivals, despite being idol, for no reason other than I have no idea who the Vikes are away from home.

Seattle at Carolina Two months ago this was being touted as a potential NFC Championship match up. Now neither team my finish with a winning record. Steve Smith Snr didn’t play defence for the Panthers so it’s not his fault as much as the Panthers like to blame him for everything else. Meanwhile in Seattle, Russ Wilson is getting divorced and maybe his offensive linemen are more focused on who can pick his ex up on the rebound then blocking for him.

St. Louis at Kansas City The same Greater Force that gave Kurt Warner a bag of magic beans all those years ago looked down on the Rams again on the weekend and awarded them a dubious fumble recovery as a nod to their audacious fake punt minutes earlier. In a weekend when many team surrendered late leads playing conservative don’t lose football, it was refreshing to see a coach resigned to losing to the last minute field goal.

Philadelphia at Arizona I’m willing to deal with all the aggressive Eagles love from their fans for another week if they can pull this road game off. I’m not sold on either of these teams yet as being the elite of the NFC as peculiarities in schedules hasn’t seen either team get into the meat of their own divisional games.

Indianapolis at Pittsburgh The Colts are on a 5 game winning run having beat up on divisional rivals the Jags, Texans and Titans along the way. I think the NFL needs to consider realignment if for no other reason than to place the Colts in a division with other teams that are at least trying to get to the post season EVERY year. Peyton Manning feasted on this for years and now Andrew Luck will for the next decade.

Oakland at Cleveland Sometimes I think Cleveland sports fans get exactly what we deserve. You just knew every clunked Hoyer pass last week set off another stream of tweets calling to put Manzel in the game. Win or lose, if Hoyer stinks it up two weeks in a row the calls for Johnnie Nerfball will make the put in Tebow cries sound like the Wimbleton crowd during the Chrissie Evert/Evonne Goolagong Women’s Final.

Green Bay at New Orleans This one is heading for a genuine shootout people. Whatever the line is for total game points it ain’t going to be enough. The Saints have to go balls to the wall from here on out to save their season and Green Bay has Aaron Rodgers. This is the sort of game that Champ Kind would love to prepare the highlights package for.

Washington at Dallas It should be no surprise that an NFC East gets another nationally televised game. What is surprising is that both these teams were predicted to be pretty ordinary in the off-season so there shouldn’t have been this type of scheduling love. Whilst the predictions have proven to be 50% correct we still may have to endure Colt McCoy starting a MNF contest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"favourable"

wk 4 bye is the worst bye possible

Our strength of schedule has been high as well

http://i.imgur.com/gUHK4ao.png

I'm not talking about strength of schedule, the schedule is the schedule and predetermined by a defined rotation rule.....I'm talking about how the league can schedule games that can add or take the sting out of a schedule's strength

You mean as opposed to the Chargers?
We played the night game, and it's not like SD had to travel last week either.

This anti-Peyton bias is getting out of hand

I'm not talking about strength of schedule, the schedule is the schedule and predetermined by a defined rotation rule.....I'm talking about how the league can schedule games that can add or take the sting out of a schedule's strength
Oh you mean like playing possibly the second best team from last year on Sunday night and having to back it up against your best division rival on Friday.

It's not the NFL's fault you're riddled with injuries. If you had a full strength team or we weren't as good we wouldn't be having this conversation. In fact we would probably be feeling sorry for us. Our scedule hasn't been good at all. Earliest bye AND NFC West. Would much rather have played you at Levi's and Hawks at Mile High.

We played the night game, and it's not like SD had to travel last week either.

This anti-Peyton bias is getting out of hand

No but it is still a 5 day break and travel situation, something you called illogical if it had to happen to the Broncos.

Yes mate, as we all know I am not a Peyton fan, but the anti-Peyton sentiment is only magnified for the continual love-fest he enjoys going the other way.

Oh you mean like playing possibly the second best team from last year on Sunday night and having to back it up against your best division rival on Friday.

It's not the NFL's fault you're riddled with injuries. If you had a full strength team or we weren't as good we wouldn't be having this conversation. In fact we would probably be feeling sorry for us. Our scedule hasn't been good at all. Earliest bye AND NFC West. Would much rather have played you at Levi's and Hawks at Mile High.

Not true Blacky, we got smashed and deservedly so....for the record my dislike for the Broncos goes way back to Elway** (another sook who cried to dad over who drafted him).

The root cause of this is TNF, not the scheduled teams you play but when games are played.

**edit...and Shanahan

TNF is a joke and shouldn't be a thing.

I will pay the rule changes helping us, but definitely not schedule as we get screwed with the bye and will have to travel A LOT at the pointy end of the season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back