X_box_X's greatest 50 players since 2000

Remove this Banner Ad

I was going to post this on the main forum, but I thought it would be more appropriate being placed here.

I have assembled my list of the 50 greatest players since the turn of the millennium. Only performances based on games played from 2000 onward will be included. This means many great champions of the game such as Carey, Lockett and Harvey have been overlooked, due to all players having been elite in the 1990s, but not so much the 2000s.

I will reveal five players per day.

Enjoy.

Justin Leppitsch: Brisbane
120 games, 46 goals, 10 Brownlow votes
Position: Centre Half Back
Premiership: 3 (2001, 2002, 2003)
All Australian: 2 (2002, 2003)
He was the dominant Centre Half Back in the early part of the millennium. He was a key part of a brilliant defence in a brilliant team.

Brendan Fevola: Carlton, Brisbane
202 games, 623 goals, 47 Brownlow votes
Position: Full Forward
Coleman Medal: 2 (2006, 2009)
All Australian: 3 (2006, 2008, 2009)
Known for his off field antics, including a gambling habit fueled by his love of poker, a drunken Brownlow Street Talk performance, and a controversial relationship with his wife Alex, there is no disputing Fevola's prowess in the Carlton forward line during the mid to late 2000s. He was a powerful player, boasting a lethal long range set shot kick from goal.

Peter Bell: Fremantle, North Melbourne
186 games, 152 goals, 88 Brownlow votes (0.47 per game)
Position: Midfield
All Australian: 1 (2003)
Best and Fairest: 3 (2001, 2003, 2004)
The diminutive Bell literally had Fremantle supporters ringing a bell whenever the crafty ball-winning midfielder gathered possession at Subiaco Oval. Of Asian descent, he averaged 24.57 disposals per game during the 2000s, but unfortunately didn't experience the thrill of premiership success during this period.

Josh Kennedy: Hawthorn, Sydney *
134 games, 80 goals, 57 Brownlow votes (0.47 per game)
Premiership: 1 (2012)
Best and Fairest: 1 (2012)
All Australian: 2 (2012, 2014)
Despite only playing 134 games to date, the tall, strong-bodied midfielder has already had a decorated enough career to make his inclusion in this list warranted. He averages 24.54 disposals and appears to be getting better with age. Standing at 188cm and weighing 96kg, the brute strength and size of the Swans midfielder makes him a very difficult match up. He is deadly by hand and finds space well, displaying his brilliant fitness level. The main criticism in his game is the lack of scoreboard pressure he applies, but he more than makes up for that shortcoming by being a ferocious and determined defensive minded player. His ability to run both ways makes him an extremely important member of the Swans side.

Brett Kirk: Sydney
236 games, 96 goals, 81 Brownlow votes (0.36 per game)
Premiership: 1 (2005)
Best and Fairest: 2 (2005, 2007)
All Australian: 1 (2004)
Known by some to be the greatest tagger in the history of the game, the former Swans Captain possessed marvelous courage and determination. Although he wasn't the cleanest user by foot, as well as not being gifted with raw skill, Kirk's ability to work hard on his weaknesses turned him from an average player into a very good one. Averaging 18.5 disposals per game and an impressive 5.35 tackles per game, it was Kirk's relentless work ethic and leadership that earned him a spot in this list.

Might seem a bit strange, but I think Fev is too low. Between 2000 and the end of 2010 when he 'retired', Fev kicked more goals than any other player. In fact it wasn't until round 16 this year that Franklin passed him for most goals since 2000.
Fair. I feel a lack of opportunity he had to prove himself in finals counted against him.

Chris Johnson: Brisbane

152 games, 49 goals, 26 Brownlow votes
Position: Back Pocket
All Australian: 2 (2002, 2004)
The versatile Brisbane small defender had a superb mixture of defensive and rebounding skills in his repertoire. At 180kg and 89kg, the always reliable star often played above his size and would occasionally spend some time in the forward line. His athleticism enabled him to leap high to take a hanger, stick with his opponent to spoil the ball, and launch creative attacks by running out of the back line.

Trent Cotchin: Richmond *

130 games, 79 goals, 83 Brownlow votes (0.64 per game)
Best and Fairest: 3 (2011, 2012, 2014)
All Australian: 1 (2012)
AFLCA Player of the Year: 1 (2012)
The Richmond superstar was selected as the number two selection in the 2007 AFL Draft. This not only makes him the least experienced member of my top 50, but also the youngest. The Tigers' captain has had a glittering start to his promising career, which includes being the AFL Coaches Association Player of the Year in 2012, the same year he finished second in the Brownlow Medal. Despite finishing third behind Rhys Palmer and Cyril Rioli in the 2008 Rising Star Award, Cotchin hasn't taken long to eclipse those two players, and from the 2007 Draft, I rate him currently the second best player, behind Adelaide superstar Patrick Dangerfield (who, being two days younger than Cotchin, has surprisingly been overlooked in this list). The 185cm, 85kg midfielder averages 23.35 disposals per game. Despite only averaging 0.6 goals per game, in the last couple of seasons he has shown an impressive ability to break a tag by pushing forward, taking a strong mark, and kicking a bag, evidenced by his five-goal performance against St. Kilda in 2014.

Scott West: Western Bulldogs

177 games, 47 goals, 113 Brownlow votes (0.64 per game)
Best and Fairest: 4 (2000, 2003, 2004, 2005)
All Australian: 4 (2000, 2004, 2005, 2006)
The Bulldogs champion midfielder was a prolific ball winner and extremely smart player around stoppages in his 177 games in this period. He averaged 27.16 disposals per game, including a career-high 29.5 disposals per game in 2006. The major criticism on West's game was his inability to apply scoreboard pressure. On top of his four Best and Fairest and four All Australian honours, the quick-thinking, 178cm clearance King was twice runner up in the Brownlow Medal (2000, 2006), as well as achieving two fourth place finishes (2004, 2005).

Chad Cornes: Port Adelaide, Greater Western Sydney

249 games, 174 goals, 50 Brownlow votes
Position: Utility
Premiership: 1 (2004)
All Australian: 2 (2004, 2007)
The versatile and mobile former Port Adelaide and GWS swingman is my number one Centre Half Back since the year 2000. Despite spending plenty of time in the forward half and across the midfield, Cornes played his best footy at Centre Half Back, where he achieved All Australian honours in 2004 (he was named on the wing in the 2007 team). His best asset was his strong hands. He averaged an impressive 6.57 marks per game and 18.54 disposals. He finished third in the 2004 Brownlow Medal, which is by far his best season, where he also won his one and only premiership. Surprisingly he never won a Best and Fairest, and appears to be considered a lesser player than his brother Kane, who has won four Best and Fairest awards. Considering Kane doesn't feature in my top 50, maybe I have it wrong.

Shane Crawford: Hawthorn

169 games, 99 goals, 77 Brownlow votes (0.46 per game)
Premiership: 1 (2008)
Best and Fairest: 2 (2002, 2003)
All Australian: 1 (2002)
The champion Hawk played his best football in the 1990s, which is why he doesn't feature as high as he otherwise would have if this list wasn't based soley on the 2000s. Crawford is the first of several Hawks to appear on my list (sadly Lachlan Veale missed selection), which is no surprise considering the amount of success they have had in this period. Crawford was fortunate enough to play his 305th and final game in a premiership victory against Geelong in 2008. The 174cm, 80kg hard-working midfielder is perhaps one of the fittest players to have ever played the game. Crawford's competitive nature was identified from an early age as a champion BMX rider. He was as competitive as they come on the footy field, and his competitiveness was further highlighted by breaking five Guinness World Records, including kissing 96 people on the face in one minute, and wearing 180 layers of underwear. On top of this, Crawford completed a 780km run from South Australia to Melbourne in 11 days. He also invented TWITA (That's What I'm Talkin' About).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aaron Sandilands: Fremantle *

216 games, 83 goals, 68 Brownlow votes (0.31 per game)
Position: Ruckman
All Australian: 3 (2008, 2009, 2010, 2014)
Best and Fairest: 1 (2009)
The former rookie has been the league's second best ruckman since 2000, supported by his three All Australian selections. Standing at 211cm and weighing in at 120kg, the Fremantle giant is the equal tallest and second heaviest player to ever play in the VFL/AFL. He is by far the most prolific an effective tap ruckman in the history of the game, mainly due to his large frame where he towers over other monsters. He averages just shy of 30 hitouts per game.

Simon Goodwin: Adelaide

225 games, 248 goals, 74 Brownlow votes (0.33 per game)
All Australian: (5) 2000, 2001, 2005, 2006, 2009
Best and Fairest: (3) 2000, 2005, 2006
The smooth moving ball carrier averaged 22.7 disposals, 3.57 clearances, 1.9 running bounces, and 4.38 inside fifties per game during this period. With an attractive five All Australian selections and three Best and Fairest awards, he was highly regarded and extremely effective.

Nigel Lappin: Brisbane

152 games, 86 goals, 62 Brownlow votes (0.41 per game)
Position: Half Back Flank, Midfield
Best and Fairest: 1 (2004)
All Australian: 4 (2001, 2002, 2003, 2004)
The fourth member of Brisbane's Fab Five had a decorated career playing across Half Back and through the midfield. He averaged 24.26 disposals, 2.31 rebounds from defensive fifty, 4.72 forward fifty entries, 3.97 clearances and 1.72 running bounces during this period. He was an All Australian in four consecutive years, the same four years he played in the Grand Final. His courage was exemplified when he played in the 2003 Grand Final with a cracked rib.

Jarryd Roughead: Hawthorn *

207 games, 441 goals, 41 Brownlow votes
Position: Full Forward
Premiership: 3 (2008, 2013, 2014)
Coleman Medal: 1 (2013)
All Australian: 2 (2013, 2014)
The star Hawk Full Forward was selected with the number two pick in the 2004 Draft, and formed a prolific partnership with teammate Lance Franklin, who joined the club one minute after Roughead did. He has improved his game significantly since his breakout 2008 season, having an average goals tally of 2.13 per game. 2014 was Roughead's most prolific season, where he won a premiership and earned All Australian selection for the second year in a row, producing 3.26 goals per game, beating his average of 3 goals per game in 2008. The star's importance to the Hawthorn team simply cannot be underestimated. His three best goal kicking seasons are 2008, 2013 and 2014 - the three years he has helped Hawthorn to the premiership. He has also averaged 4.71 marks per game. When needed, Roughead shows flexibility by occasionally spending time in the ruck and across Half Back, although he spends 80% of the time in the forward half.

Nick Dal Santo: St. Kilda, North Melbourne *

285 games, 149 goals, 135 Brownlow votes (0.51 per game)
All Australian: 3 (2005, 2009, 2011)
Despite never winning a premiership or winning a Best and Fairest, the silky smooth, highly skilled former Saint and current Roo slots into 36th position in my list. Standing at 185cm and 84kg, he was selected with the 13th selection in the 2001 National Draft. He averages 22.71 disposals, 3.75 marks, 3.72 tackles, 3.61 clearances, 3.3 forward fifty entries and 1.76 running bounces over his career, showing he is an all round player. Due to his lethal left boot, he does his best work on the outside, and is often considered to be purely outside, which is not entirely the case. Like many other great midfielders of the same period, the only slightly criticism is his lack of scoreboard pressure, averaging only 0.52 goals per game.

I would have to agree that Fevola has been underrated so far. Put together more than a couple of good seasons. Cotchin is an excellent player and no doubt by the end of his career should figure highly in this, but I don't think he has done as much in terms of on-field performance as Fev did.

Two players I really, really hope to see at the very pointy end (top 5ish) is Simon Black and Sam Mitchell. 2 of the very best midfielders that I think are undervalued a bit and a closer look at their records/consistency/stats reveals they should be at the very top of this list (only behind Ablett and probably Judd as mids IMO).

Two players I really, really hope to see at the very pointy end (top 5ish) is Simon Black and Sam Mitchell. 2 of the very best midfielders that I think are undervalued a bit and a closer look at their records/consistency/stats reveals they should be at the very top of this list (only behind Ablett and probably Judd as mids IMO).
Nah.

Seriously. Take Black for example. 300 gamer (more than 290 since 2000), Triple premiership player, Brownlow medalist, Norm Smith Medalist, Triple All Australian, Club Captain, etc.

But get this, he is the #1 clearance player since 2000 (by a street), #1 contested possession winner (by a street), #4 tackler and top 5 in disposals, inside 50's, etc (not sure exactly where in top 5 cos I couldn't be bothered doing the maths).

Seriously underrated (and I could highlight something similar for Mitchell). Who would you have clearly ahead?

Seriously. Take Black for example. 300 gamer (more than 290 since 2000), Triple premiership player, Brownlow medalist, Norm Smith Medalist, Triple All Australian, Club Captain, etc.

But get this, he is the #1 clearance player since 2000 (by a street), #1 contested possession winner (by a street), #4 tackler and top 5 in disposals, inside 50's, etc (not sure exactly where in top 5 cos I couldn't be bothered doing the maths).

Seriously underrated (and I could highlight something similar for Mitchell). Who would you have clearly ahead?
No arguments with black but I would have kerr(could have three bronlows if it wasnt for injuries and suspensions) and cousins ahead of mitchell

No arguments with black but I would have kerr(could have three bronlows if it wasnt for injuries and suspensions) and cousins ahead of mitchell

Both great players no doubt but Mitchell has been far more consistent than Kerr and Cousins is hampered by the fact he played several of his seasons pre 2000 and by 2007 was embroiled in fiascos that essentially derailed his playing career. Less than 200 games post 2000 which included his relatively average Richmond stint.

Both great players no doubt but Mitchell has been far more consistent than Kerr and Cousins is hampered by the fact he played several of his seasons pre 2000 and by 2007 was embroiled in fiascos that essentially derailed his playing career. Less than 200 games post 2000 which included his relatively average Richmond stint.
Mitchell has been no where near as consistent as kerr.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back