Preview National Draft discussion (Picks 14, 35, 43, 58)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree!!.. people are getting too caught up in the hype of the media attention, a great U18s championships doesn't equate to being taken early in the draft. Just ask Coloqhoun and Battersby. I think between
pick 60 and rookie list is about where it lies. More than half of clubs would have crossed him off completely from their lists , sad fact of being 167cm. Hope he gets drafted as deserves a chance but it won't be early

My apologies, I got some names mixed up.

Most boards have him going mid 20's, but yes KM says 40.

So always a chance I guess

At the end of the day, predicting who goes where is extremely difficult, especially without any inside knowledge and especially beyond about picks 15.

I remember having a few discussions with yourself regarding Battersby's position last year, at the end of the day neither of us predicted him to fall to the 2nd round of the rookie draft and now 1 year on he's been delisted, supposedly as a result of attitude as much as anything else.

Jonothan Marsh was similar last year, almost every draft "expert" had him going before pick 30. He was a super athletic KPP, that supposedly wowed everyone at the champs/combine, yet come draft day he fell to the 70's. Its just so difficult to know.

They took Kane Lucas, who was delisted only today. Their supporters went nuts at the time - now they would be just downright sad!

Was a baffling decision at the time and has only become more and more baffling as the years have passed by.

Unfortunately I think clubs need to become more and more discerning when they pick young midfielders because half decent ones have become such dime a dozen type prospects. I think your really need to be placing a high priority on skills and pace/agility, just because a bloke can find the ball 25 times a game, doesn't mean he's a best 22 lock any more.

The more I read and hear from other clubs / supporters the more I want us to use our first two picks on Nakia Cockatoo and Caleb Daniel.

I can't see Cockatoo being available at 35, or Daniel at 43.
My oh my, this Daniel love is getting out of hand. Rookie at best. Great skills but way to short for AFL. If we took him at 43 I'd be devastated. People who have not seen these guys play need to calm the hysteria.

There were some interesting responsibilities in the mix within the footy department this centry as I understand it.
It continues I guess because Walshy is going to report directly into Fages. So not sure where that leaves Noble.
Noble reports to Walsh

And Fagan reports to Noble

My oh my, this Daniel love is getting out of hand. Rookie at best. Great skills but way to short for AFL. If we took him at 43 I'd be devastated. People who have not seen these guys play need to calm the hysteria.

No hysteria from me, I have seen him play. He played SANFL last year, most of this year (when fit), All-Australian U18. His credentials compare favourably with, for example, Billy Stretch. He is going to be a cult figure at one AFL club, probably not us though as we have plenty of inside mids/half forwards.

No hysteria from me, I have seen him play. He played SANFL last year, most of this year (when fit), All-Australian U18. His credentials compare favourably with, for example, Billy Stretch. He is going to be a cult figure at one AFL club, probably not us though as we have plenty of inside mids/half forwards.
I agree, very skilled player at underage level where he competes against smaller frames. I just feel with the prototype AFL midfielder increasing to around 188cm he just gives up way to much height. Nothing personal it's just a huge barrier to overcome. I feel most recruiters would think in a similar way. People here saying he is the next Sam Mitchell. He gives up 10cm on Sam!

Billy Stretch is a solid size and has good running capacity. Can't really compare the two. Daniel is like Andrew Hooper from a few years ago. Great junior but too small. Played a handful of games before getting delisted.

Last edited:
Agree!!.. people are getting too caught up in the hype of the media attention, a great U18s championships doesn't equate to being taken early in the draft. Just ask Coloqhoun and Battersby. I think between
pick 60 and rookie list is about where it lies. More than half of clubs would have crossed him off completely from their lists , sad fact of being 167cm. Hope he gets drafted as deserves a chance but it won't be early

Hopefully we draft him and he has a 20cm growth spurt.

I think clubs will take a punt on him and lock him in as a small forward. Has all the traits and size isn't as important.

I don't really see him as a small forward - he's not extra quick nor strong obviously although rarely goes to ground and doesn't have the defensive forward capabilities except desire - his strengths are his vision, clearance ability and his football nous and he is a genuine class mid-fielder, however, IMO i'm not sure that he will make it in the AFL.
I've watched him very closely with South and he is very impressive, but I find it very difficult to gauge him in an AFL environment.
Nevertheless, I would take a punt with him purely on his football class but I think 43 is too early - i'ld say around pick 60 onwards or rookie draft - but i'ld love to see him become a star.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched plenty of Caleb this year.. Been impressed with his vision and desire and how he hunts the ball...

I asked our old recruiting manager once why he doesn't rookie Nick Liddle from South...

His answer was in the AFL his only position could be on the ball and he is not good enough to play on ball in the AFL..

I agree unfortunately with the previous posts.. The kid is a huge talent but where do you play him?

We keep talking about how deep our midfield is so where would Lyons/Daniel play but I'd have no problem with van Berlo, Mackay, Douglas playing elsewhere, Sloane sitting out on a wing instead of the centre square, Kerridge across half forward in the Wright role. Create some room.

171cm Ian Callinan was superb at finding space in congestion and delivering the ball with precision into the forward line, an outrageously gifted footballer. From what I've seen of him this year, there's no reason why Daniel can't develop into a similar calibre of player.

We made a mistake not drafting Nutter until he was 27, and if he's still available then I think it would be a mistake not to draft this guy too.

I think clubs will take a punt on him and lock him in as a small forward. Has all the traits and size isn't as important.
You say that like it is a fact. I've been going to U18 carnival games for a few year and have been lucky to speak to a few recruiters over that time. Height is a HUGE importance when recruiting. AFL players are bigger and stronger than ever.

He is not the next Tony Libratore, and as great as Libba was it's a completely new era with players who use to be key position size now playing in the middle. I believe he will be selected as a rookie, which is excellent and well deserved, but no way you take him in the 40's or higher as some people have been saying on this board.

dirk-dellavadova.jpg

171cm Ian Callinan was superb at finding space in congestion and delivering the ball with precision into the forward line, an outrageously gifted footballer. From what I've seen of him this year, there's no reason why Daniel can't develop into a similar calibre of player.

We made a mistake not drafting Nutter until he was 27, and if he's still available then I think it would be a mistake not to draft this guy too.

I'm trying to word this in a way which isn't too rude but if what you're saying is true, the earliest I'd be picking Daniel is with our second or third rookie selection.

I'm trying to word this in a way which isn't too rude but if what you're saying is true, the earliest I'd be picking Daniel is with our second or third rookie selection.

Think that's a bit unfair on Wingnut. He was probably past his peak when we picked him up, but even at that age the level of football he produced in the 2012 season would have easily been worth a pick in the 40's or 50's (where it sounds like Daniel will probably go in this draft).

Think that's a bit unfair on Wingnut. He was probably past his peak when we picked him up, but even at that age the level of football he produced in the 2012 season would have easily been worth a pick in the 40's or 50's (where it sounds like Daniel will probably go in this draft).

Yeah that's why I was struggling to word it nicely. I hope we're aiming for someone with the talent of Sloane (44) in the 40s. I'd really like to rookie draft Daniel though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back