Preview Geelong at the 2014 AFL National Draft, Thursday 27 November

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Stanley steps up after a good pre-season I can see him pulling the trigger outside the 50 arc no problems, he's a freak kick of a ball.
Ruck/Forward I reckon, he plays with flair, not a natural when it comes to defence IMO.
Goddard for the Lonergan job makes sense to me.

Walker as the long term Lonergan replacement
Kolo as the long term Rivers replacement
Blicavs as the long term Taylor replacement

Still have Toohey developing. Jury still out.

Hopefuly 2 of either Stanley Clark vardy or Kersten stand up with a great 3 or 4 years to support tomahawk.

Simpson and McIntosh have 1 year to prove their worth ir they will be replaced next year by a ready made free agent replacement.

No need to draft tall. Need ball winners who can run all day and hit targets consistently.

Walker as the long term Lonergan replacement
Kolo as the long term Rivers replacement
Blicavs as the long term Taylor replacement

Still have Toohey developing. Jury still out.

Hopefuly 2 of either Stanley Clark vardy or Kersten stand up with a great 3 or 4 years to support tomahawk.

Simpson and McIntosh have 1 year to prove their worth ir they will be replaced next year by a ready made free agent replacement.

No need to draft tall. Need ball winners who can run all day and hit targets consistently.

An eighteen year old mid is not going to be ready for 2 years, they need to back what they already have and draft a couple of 20+ big bodies.
I'm sure this is the plan with the pick situation.

For those who prefer a mid at 10 - I just don't see any quality big bodied classy inside mids that are worth spending pick 10 on in this draft. There is no Wines or Stringer or Caddy types in the top end of this draft.

There is Weller (who I still like) - lightish classy mid that is probably more outside with question marks on whether he will develop a body strong enough for AFL. There is Laverde (probably gone) that is more a flanker, Pickett is outside and wants to stay in WA, Ahern is also a smallish outside type that looks more suited to the forward line.

Given the lack of quality big inside mids and that there are quality key defenders available, I think our decision is made a bit easier for us to get our next Lonergan replacement.

Would be a nightmare in the back 6.

Judging by that footage, he's better than anything Brown or Gillies displayed in the AFL. Certainly not a nightmare if that's only his development stages and already being asked to play on one of the strongest forwards in the game. Another 25 games in that position on the field and we may begin to see him hold his own just as Lonergan did heading into the 2010 season.
His closing speed is ridiculous while his reach is also off the charts.

For those who prefer a mid at 10 - I just don't see any quality big bodied classy inside mids that are worth spending pick 10 on in this draft. There is no Wines or Stringer or Caddy types in the top end of this draft.

There is Weller (who I still like) - lightish classy mid that is probably more outside with question marks on whether he will develop a body strong enough for AFL. There is Laverde (probably gone) that is more a flanker, Pickett is outside and wants to stay in WA, Ahern is also a smallish outside type that looks more suited to the forward line.

Given the lack of quality big inside mids and that there are quality key defenders available, I think our decision is made a bit easier for us to get our next Lonergan replacement.

Unless you're holding Pick No1!...there isn't any. Laverde, I guess the other but he'll be gone too.

Judging by that footage, he's better than anything Brown or Gillies displayed in the AFL. Certainly not a nightmare if that's only his development stages and already being asked to play on one of the strongest forwards in the game. Another 25 games in that position on the field and we may begin to see him hold his own just as Lonergan did heading into the 2010 season.
His closing speed is ridiculous while his reach is also off the charts.

Fair go Bobby!....he was just a kid taking on Cloke, looked like a fish out of water some times, :D, but some of those kicks, WOW!
He likes going for his marks let's face it, in his GFC package it was all midfield and forward play and mostly last year.

Fair go Bobby!....he was just a kid taking on Cloke,

that was early in 2013 when he played on Cloke. Still, don't you agree that there's good prospects heading forward?
I don't think many in here ever thought Blicavs would be dropping back and intercepting marks in a few games this year but he did, despite people suggesting he's not a defender and as such, should not be anywhere near that side of the ground.

that was early in 2013 when he played on Cloke. Still, don't you agree that there's good prospects heading forward?
I don't think many in here ever thought Blicavs would be dropping back and intercepting marks in a few games this year but he did, despite people suggesting he's not a defender and as such, should not be anywhere near that side of the ground.

Mate, him and Clarke, and I'm forgetting Hawkins!...are going to destroy some sides at Simmons next year!
Must have been early 2013 as you know, then they woke up!
Blitz running back with the flight?...I've got full confidence, the kid's courageous.

Moving up to pick 10 makes more sense if the club was going to be looking at a KPP in the draft, which I have to assume they are now.

I wonder if we would look to rookie list Hamling. We've put more years into guys with less potential than him.

much rather we find a quality defender than another forward. They win you premierships, I guess with Kolodjashnij, we have some positives going ahead.

Great hopes for a P41, has good pace not real quick but fast thinker, if they go Goddard they've got 2 future goodens. Loners is one of these evergreen types, it's possible another 2 years before he's done.
Plays a negating brand of defence like Fletcher did at the Bombers.

I tend to agree with this line of thought now re taking a KPD - either Durdin or Goddard. My preference is Durdin, just think he has more class. He will take 2-3 years to come on but we have that time to allow him to mature. Durdin was rated as a firm top 5 chance (even higher) earlier in the year prior to breaking his thumb. He missed a bit of footy in the middle of the year and when he returned in the U18 Champs wasn't fully wound up. He will be a beauty I reckon.

I like Goddard's aggression and he has a solid game. From the vision I've seen though when he gets the ball he more often than not slows down play rather than looks for an attacking option. He is a solid mark and pretty good kick on that heavily favoured left side. If Durdin is gone by 10, I'd still be more than comfortable if we took him.

I don't necessarily agree with you describing Ahern as being "more suited to the forward line". He reminds me a lot of Zaharakis. More of an outside type but is capable of winning his own ball. He hits the scoreboard which I like in mids. He is also very clean and has terrific peripheral vision. I think he has a body that could easily put muscle on. He will be a very useful player. Would be happy with him as well.

Pickett is predominantly outside for sure. When he has time and space he can cut you up. We do need a player of his ilk now that both Christensen and Varcoe are gone. We will be looking very one paced next year. My concern is these reports of his preference to stay in WA. I'm not sure whether its garbage or not. If it is rubbish I could quite envisage us taking him. When Wells traded for pick 10, prior to this last round of cuts, I thought it was clear we were after Pickett. Now I'm not so sure.

Either way one or more of the four above will be available at pick 10. Outside chances being Laverde and Weller. Any of those 6 I'd be happy with.

The inside mids in this draft, as you say, tend to be rated a bit further down the pecking order. IF there was to be another Wells shock call at 10, it just might be Blakely. Apparently we were one of a few teams that were interested in him at DC. I really like him and was disappointed when we traded 21 that we were losing an opportunity to take him about where he appears to be rated right now. With Wells, you have to expect the unexpected but I'd be surprised if he traded up to 10 just to get Blakely. You never know though..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Jeremy Taylor will be getting a long look... by Wells & Co... well i hope so...
The Ex-Sun was 23rd man for about 6-7 games without being able to crack the line-up in 2014...
Has been dogged by an ankle-achilles, concussion and a finger injury for over half his time there...
...and the BIGGEST knock was he wasn't in Guy McKenna's kennel...
He's 191cm and 90 kgs...... and I think he has a shot making our squad with Pick 73??

I think Jeremy Taylor will be getting a long look... by Wells & Co... well i hope so...
The Ex-Sun was 23rd man for about 6-7 games without being able to crack the line-up in 2014...
Has been dogged by an ankle-achilles, concussion and a finger injury for over half his time there...
...and the BIGGEST knock was he wasn't in Guy McKenna's kennel...
He's 191cm and 90 kgs...... and I think he has a shot making our squad with Pick 73??

Talking to his old man I'm not sure he has that insatiable desire to be an afl player to be honest mate.
Loved it on the GC of course but I'm
Not sure if he's keen to even look at another club.
Although if the Cats offered im sure he would say yes, being close to family and all that.

There will be HBFs and BP in our draft range, they are generally bottom of the pile.

McGuinness, Webb, Lim all in range with picks 45 onwards.

Goddard at 10 please. Like the idea of Jeremy Taylor as a free agent and upgrade Luxford. Kind od wonder if there is a Harry Taylor or Matthew Stokes in Wells sights this year?
Why would we upgrade Luxford? Would be our most strange move yet this post season. Still very much speculative at this stage.

Wonder if they'll consider Mitch Robinson since his stats are very good (22 av disp) and we're thinking of a mature mid, he's still only 25 yrs old???
Him and Caddy?

...word on the radio is that Brisbane and the Hawks are into him....

As they just said on SEN, he's a wrecking ball, but he's also an accumulator and ready to go at that.
Typical Hawthorn after hard nuts, I've said it before, the guy's got talent and a big hard body which can upset the opposition, I'd welcome the guy with a late pick.

He's probably outgrown his previous hooliganism so I'd inject him into our mix for muscle. (R.Crowley etc)

As they just said on SEN, he's a wrecking ball, but he's also an accumulator and ready to go at that.
Typical Hawthorn after hard nuts, I've said it before, the guy's got talent and a big hard body which can upset the opposition, I'd welcome the guy with a late pick.

He's probably outgrown his previous hooliganism so I'd inject him into our mix for muscle. (R.Crowley)
He was delisted so no need for a pick he's a DFA

I will be extremely annoyed and surprised if we take a key position player with pick 10.

I am fairly sure it will be a mid, unless they are all taken by then. The most urgent need is to find another midfielder to replace Christensen. Hamling and Brown were not in the best side, so I see that as less of a problem. And Kolo had a nice debut season and if the mail from the club is right, Blicavs is going back to half back permanently (where he played some promising games this year).

We need mids, first and foremost.

Last edited:
He was delisted so no need for a pick he's a DFA

He'd still require a list spot, but yes you're right!... Due to the reluctance of the Tribunal to impose much more than a week or two for almost any report charge, it pays to have a nasty type with a big body to intimidate opposition players as required.
Personally I'm a bit sick of watching a champion player in Joel Selwood bleeding from the face more often than not!

I think we've got to get serious about some serious grunt to discourage the opposition because that's their caper, it seems that anything's fair if it's Joel. If the umps won't stop it we need to take action ourselves.
Also the jumper ripping needs to be dealt with by a team pact to avenge that sort of insult.

I'd like Mitch Robinson and Panos from Norwood. We've delisted a lot of softer players I believe, and that's been a good thing.

Last edited:
Don't think Stanley is suited to defence at all. Apparently he was terrible when trialled there - according to saints fans and even the st kilda website which says he wont ever venture back there on his profile. His assets allow him to be a sneaky third tall with his athletiscm who can pinch hit in the ruck. However, his strength and second efforts are what is lacking. Would be a nightmare in the back 6.

That's not exactly what may Saints fans have said. They said he got absolutely towelled by Cloke and lost all confidence down back because of that. Before then he had been playing well.

That means the onus was perhaps on the StKilda coaches for first off playing someone who is not renowned for being a powerful unit and playing him on one of the most powerful units! On top of that they had him play on Cloke for pretty much the entire match ... so that just goes to show that even other coaching panels have NFI when it comes to how they handle players and how sometimes bad situations are exacerbated over the course of many games due to confidence etc.

If he played down back with the Cats (I don't think he will). He would not be playing on the Clokes etc of the world. He doesn't have the strength for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back