List Mgmt. Simpson Delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reliably informed that our recruiters were set to pick Grundy ahead of Simpson, and RTB overruled.

That's s**t if true
No one in their right mind could blame Lloyd for picking this kid, he has ample talent to justify 17. If the recruiters did their due diligence and drafted him in good faith it is then up to player management to nurture and develop him
But if Lloyd had someone else picked out and Ross really did overrule, well that was a mistake

I'd only rookie him if the club wins the spot ahead of other prospects.

Still support him but the rookie list is a valuable pick.

I was reliably informed that our recruiters were set to pick Grundy ahead of Simpson, and RTB overruled.

I heard the exact opposite.

We could have accommodated him. All this talk emanating from the club about Josh not "fitting in with the system"/"failing to meet team standards" is just babble. You can't condemn an aboriginal kid based on the standards applied to other players. Josh needed his own system and one that was auspicious to his development was not provided. Result: we lose, Josh loses. All because we are too inflexible culture wise.
Disagree. Teams don't have separate rules for players. Simpson put himself into the draft didn't he? Why does Josh lose? He has made his choices and by all accounts he is happy with his life the way he's leading it. Hope he his picked up in the rookie draft though.

Disagree. Teams don't have separate rules for players. Simpson put himself into the draft didn't he? Why does Josh lose? He has made his choices and by all accounts he is happy with his life the way he's leading it. Hope he his picked up in the rookie draft though.
Maybe not separate rules, but separate approaches.

We'd be naive to think that one approach will be applicable for all. Players come to the club from all manner of circumstances.

I just read the interview on nine sports page and Bond made it very clear that the Club laid out a plan for Josh to get back on track and he missed on most of the targets so he left them with no choice but to call it a day on him being a Docker .
This reminds me of Garlett being picked up by Hawthorn and then Garlett quit because he wasn't allowed to have fun . So Lloyd wasn't the only recruiter to misjudge on a player with enormous talent and won't be the last. Jurra at Melbourne is the other player that springs to mind as well.

Maybe not separate rules, but separate approaches.

We'd be naive to think that one approach will be applicable for all. Players come to the club from all manner of circumstances.
Yeah I see your point but it's not like it was his first year.

Plus it seems even the other Aboriginal boys couldn't get through to him either. Walters and I think Johnson were his mentors and the wonderful Roger Hayden is there as well. Not sure what else you can do.

Loved the Essendon game when he came on as the Sub. It was brilliant to watch how pumped he was.

On the televised coverage, Gerard Healy observed as he ran on to the ground that it was like he was running the Stawell Gift.

I recall Karl Langdon's call at the time and he was gobsmacked with the young bloke's energy.

Then, Ross's description of it on Monday night was very apt. https://audioboom.com/boos/2581171-josh-simpson-s-lap-of-honour.mp3?nojs=1

As a member, I was proud of the club in that moment but how disappointing was it when it all turned pear shaped not even a week later and has now deteriorated to his delisting. It looks unlikely and I know footy is big business now, but can't we just find a rookie spot for him while we continue to offer support? I hope the club at least offers to keep him down at Peel within the environment if he is keen (so selfishly us supporters down this way can also watch him do an encore lap of honour.....)

I hope the club at least offers to keep him down at Peel within the environment if he is keen (so selfishly us supporters down this way can also watch him do an encore lap of honour.....)

A lap of honour for what?

I'm all for supporting the kid but let's not pretend he's a Chas winner.

Plus it seems even the other Aboriginal boys couldn't get through to him either. Walters and I think Johnson were his mentors and the wonderful Roger Hayden is there as well. Not sure what else you can do.
Hmm, very interesting points, especially with Sonny coming back from what would usually be the bright light and the pearly gates (or are they goal posts in this shocking metaphor?) of football. And Roger never seemed dumb and always seemed an optimistic and up-beat fella. You'd think they'd be able to bend the club to suit the extenuating circumstances of a young father, an Aboriginal man, a man from the remote country, and someone who has cultural attachments that are hard to fully understand as a wadjula. It's not very often you have to take all of those things in with the talent you select, especially when you've gambled a first round selection...

The other thing is, for the amount of lyrical waxing and bullshit churned out by clubs, politics and personalities are rife in the AFL (as any business and sports team is). I'm sure plenty of delistings, contracts, appointments, and whatever else are the result of in-fighting, nepotism, or ego. I'm not saying it's the case, but I am saying you can never be sure of the reasoning behind the scene – a lot of egos are in this environment, and who knows why things happen and pan out. It's not worth wondering about – maybe we'll never guess.

When you look at it, it's pretty piss poor that someone like Colin Sylvia, with absolutely no issues in comparison, takes home about twice the money as Simpson and two more years, despite being about ten years older, with less of a ceiling, and with much less to lose (in fact, almost nothing to – whether he wins a flag with Freo or not, he'll be retiring when his contract's up). I just think another two years for Josh as a senior wa worth the risk. But as I've said, we'll never know the story, maybe the to-do list was full of attainable goals and was twisted to his benefit... maybe Josh just pulled the pin himself. And thus createth the appeal of this cesspit: Bigfooty

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree SA but at the same time experience over a rookie is worth something for all the time he's invested just like any other occupation.

AFAIK none of us really know how culturally appropriate the club made his time at Fremantle. Maybe it was revolutionary stuff, maybe it was lip service, it was probably somewhere between the two (and until I hear otherwise I'm choosing to believe it was more towards the positive) but in the end the club certainly seems to have tried.

A kid from the bush not making the transition or someone to 'emotionally immature' to take a golden opportunity are just assumptions. I'm sure Josh's home and family played it's part but Josh could also have simply decided that being employed by the Fremantle Football Club (a job with a massive amount of restrictions and impacts on the rest of his life) is not what he wants.

It'd be good to hear from Josh himself at some point about what happened.

A lap of honour for what?

I'm all for supporting the kid but let's not pretend he's a Chas winner.

I think you misunderstood what I meant. "Lap of honour" in the sense of seeing him run around for Peel (in the same sense that Ross made light of his energy in the interview).

I think you misunderstood what I meant. "Lap of honour" in the sense of seeing him run around for Peel (in the same sense that Ross made light of his energy in the interview).

My humble apologies.....withdrawn.

t but Josh could also have simply decided that being employed by the Fremantle Football Club (a job with a massive amount of restrictions and impacts on the rest of his life) is not what he wants.

His manager came out in trade week and said he was desperate to be retained.

Hmm, very interesting points, especially with Sonny coming back from what would usually be the bright light and the pearly gates (or are they goal posts in this shocking metaphor?) of football. And Roger never seemed dumb and always seemed an optimistic and up-beat fella. You'd think they'd be able to bend the club to suit the extenuating circumstances of a young father, an Aboriginal man, a man from the remote country, and someone who has cultural attachments that are hard to fully understand as a wadjula. It's not very often you have to take all of those things in with the talent you select, especially when you've gambled a first round selection...

The other thing is, for the amount of lyrical waxing and bullshit churned out by clubs, politics and personalities are rife in the AFL (as any business and sports team is). I'm sure plenty of delistings, contracts, appointments, and whatever else are the result of in-fighting, nepotism, or ego. I'm not saying it's the case, but I am saying you can never be sure of the reasoning behind the scene – a lot of egos are in this environment, and who knows why things happen and pan out. It's not worth wondering about – maybe we'll never guess.

When you look at it, it's pretty piss poor that someone like Colin Sylvia, with absolutely no issues in comparison, takes home about twice the money as Simpson and two more years, despite being about ten years older, with less of a ceiling, and with much less to lose (in fact, almost nothing to – whether he wins a flag with Freo or not, he'll be retiring when his contract's up). I just think another two years for Josh as a senior wa worth the risk. But as I've said, we'll never know the story, maybe the to-do list was full of attainable goals and was twisted to his benefit... maybe Josh just pulled the pin himself. And thus createth the appeal of this cesspit: Bigfooty

Maybe he needed the rules bent too much? We don't know.
As for money. If he had of stayed on the list long enough to have an AFL career, he would have earned very good money, but he hasn't.
I have worked with a lot of Aboriginal people and not all of them think that the whole system has to be change to accommodate Aboriginal culture. Many say to their people that if you live in the urban areas you have to accept the same rules as everyone else. So like everything in Aboriginal culture, it is never really the same for all. Bridge to far maybe?

You are making it all too complicated. It is an eyeopener to see the sway that some of the women have over their man. They are great survivors as they have needed to be in the past.

Young man *s up career. Roll the presses. Won't be the first, won't be the last (young man that is).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back