UEFA Champions League: Match Day 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Just an Aussie over in England trying to see as much football as he can.
How in gods name did he get a ticket? And how much did he pay.

I have a family friend over there, a good mate of mine. She goes to every game and even travels into Europe to follow the Reds. So she has excellent connections and has never once failed to get me tickets when im over in the UK. Unfortunately ive never been over at a time when we have played United, Everton or a big CL game so not sure how she would go with getting me tickets for those games.

I did joke with her last season when we were about 7 wins into that 11 straight that she should sort me out a ticket for Newcastle at Anfield on final day just in case we're a chance to win the league. In the end we were a chance, just a very small one. But apparently the last 4 or 5 home games of the season, she was telling me it was like gold dust. She said she had the hardest time ever just getting a ticket for herself nevermind me.

Im really glad we are expanding the stadium!

Porto and City look good value for their wins @ 1.70 and @1.57 respectively with Bet365.

Roma vs. Bayern the standout fixture. Hopefully it will be a cracker.

Carragher joining the calls for Sterling as a False 9:

In the absence of Sturridge I actually think this is a tactic that could work quite well. We just cannot carry Balotelli any longer, particularly in a game as important as this. He is the weak link at the moment, and if you saw Rodgers' reaction on the sidelines v QPR, I think he knows it too. In spite of our form; Coutinho, Sterling, Lallana, Henderson are all playing well in transitioning the ball from midfield into attack, but when the focal point of that attack literally has no idea what he's doing as seems to be the case with Balotelli, you're going to see attacks consistently breaking down in the final third.

Long term I think false 9 as the creative focal point of the attack is a position that will suit Sterling well and make the most of his obvious talents. While it's a bit of a gamble to try it in a CL game against Real Madrid, at this stage I think it's probably less of a gamble than playing Balotelli at #9! If you watch the highlights of the QPR game, Sterling spends much of the game playing centrally anyway and it's not as though Balotelli is playing even remotely like a centre forward at the moment.

--------Gerrard--------
--Henderson--Allen-----
Lallana-Sterling-Coutinho

If Sterling drops deep, the front 5 rotate and maybe Lallana drops into CF. If Henderson breaks forward into attack and makes one of those penetrating runs behind the CB's, Lallana or Coutinho drop back into midfield etc. When we have the ball keep it fluid, keep those guys interchanging and looking for the pockets of space in attack and move the ball quickly. When we don't have it, you've got an exceptionally mobile front 5 who are tactically on the same page and all know how and when to press the opposition. Will Rodgers go for it? Who knows, but it's good to know I'm not the only one thinking along these lines!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No word of a lie, there's more atmosphere at this game on ESPN than I've ever heard on their broadcast before. Actually watchable.

This one's all over, multi's dead before it even got off the ground.

City right in with a shot of qualifying now.

You bought it upon yourselves let's be honest, you just stopped.

how do you bring a horrendous call upon yourself

it should've been a chance at 3-0 in the first half. a bad call stopped that. sure we stopped, but a bad call just lost us 2 points. that's rubbish.

Oh I agree you definitely should've had one in the first half, but you were playing them off the park, after half time you seemed to just sit back, passing was way less fluid, you just invited pressure. Yes, the call was probably harsh but hey, that's football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back