List Mgmt. AFC - 2014 Drafting and Trading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mckaye17

All Australian
Jun 12, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Would anyone be keen on Mitch Brown who Geelong delisted today? He'll still only be 24 by the start of the next season so still has his best footy ahead of him. He's 196cm and 93kgs and has played plenty of footy as a defender and from what I've seen looks a lot better then L.Thompson and Shaw so really if we're going to take a gamble on one guy who didn't work out at another club I say give this kid a go.

Can play both ends of the ground and would give us that little more depth. Rookie draft him, Baulderstone and another kid.

Flip Side

Senior List
Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'd sooner bet on pigs flying.

I work with a couple of Blues supporters and it's not just Lucas's kicking. He is soft as butter, doesn't find enough of the pill, makes mistakes and goes missing. No heart. Career stats are similar to Henderson interestingly enough.

His career stats are better than Sam Blease though, which is pretty scary for Sam one would have thought.

Draft Bored

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Ricciardo, Red Sox
I bet this has scared the bejesus out of Mitch Robinson and he goes on to have a top 4 B&F finish at his next club.

Would anyone be keen on Mitch Brown who Geelong delisted today? He'll still only be 24 by the start of the next season so still has his best footy ahead of him. He's 196cm and 93kgs and has played plenty of footy as a defender and from what I've seen looks a lot better then L.Thompson and Shaw so really if we're going to take a gamble on one guy who didn't work out at another club I say give this kid a go.

Can play both ends of the ground and would give us that little more depth. Rookie draft him, Baulderstone and another kid.
Could do a lot worse to give us some kpp depth.

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not that Martin himself is critical, the process of 'punishing' a player after improving is poor form.

That makes as much sense as always.

This is not high school or the public service, it's not about effort. You don't get points for activity & motion, well not in a performance environment. You can still improve and be below the minimum necessary standard

I like martin, more than most I suspect but to argue that he has any relevance to the bigger question of our list balance is well, meh. He's a footnote.

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Go and read Knightmares phantom draft. Reckon he's compared it to 2006 somewhere???

At the time 2006 was being hailed as one of the best drafts ever, a true superdraft. May not have worked out that way, but it was hyped as another 2001 / 1997

If this year were anywhere near as hyped there's be no question that needed asking

Bailey01

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood Redlegs, Tennis
That makes as much sense as always.

This is not high school or the public service, it's not about effort. You don't get points for activity & motion, well not in a performance environment. You can still improve and be below the minimum necessary standard

I like martin, more than most I suspect but to argue that he has any relevance to the bigger question of our list balance is well, meh. He's a footnote.
Don't agree on to0 may things Sanders but gotta be with you on this one.

Martin isn't important in any shape or form for us.

crowsup

Premium Platinum
Nov 24, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

Can we de-list all the other players that are not going to be part of our next premiership (not important players), saving lots of money to use in recruiting 2-3 big guns next year? Or is Martin the only 'not important player' in our club?:confused:

Mar 7, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide

The argument isn't about Martin himself. It about the way the club treats fringe players after they have done exactly what the club asks of them.

If you are selling "play for the team", delisting a player who has done this and has played his role and is delisted immediately doesn't really match up.

Those who have shown less have been shown the door. Give him a year contract, and based on last year he actually has earned it. If he performs badly we can delist next year.

If he wants a longer contract let him decide if he wants to try out the PSD. However, demonstrating that the club values tough team players who do what has been asked is walking the walk.

The size and length of contract indicate the position in the team.

The same rationale applied in the discussion earlier when posters called for Jaensch to be delisted this year. Granted Jaensch had a mini break out, but the point still stands.

Oct 6, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
At the time 2006 was being hailed as one of the best drafts ever, a true superdraft. May not have worked out that way, but it was hyped as another 2001 / 1997

If this year were anywhere near as hyped there's be no question that needed asking

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/knightmares-2014-phantom-draft.1060197/

From the first post:

Draft evaluation:

The draft has a feel very much like the 2006 draft and has a real depth of high level key position players but is a slightly worse version of this. Overall the draft depth is slightly below average and there are no glaringly obvious franchise quality players in this draft but there is still potential for some late and rookie draft gems to be found with correct talent identification.

Just curious. Who?

Bold still playing. Bold pretty much the only ones outside Santa to both find a new AFL club and play a reasonable amount of games there. Not exactly a stellar list.

2013-14: Marcus Davies, Aaron Joseph, Luke Mitchell, Patrick McCarthy, Jeremy Laidler
2012-13: Rohan Kerr, Paul Bower, Bret Thornton
2011-12: Mark Austin, Santa O'Helper
2010-11: Brad Fisher, Chris Johnson, Joe Anderson, Steven Brown, Caleb Tiller
2009-10: Adam Hartlett, Jake Edwards, Adam Bentick, Cameron Cloke
2008-09: Cain Ackland, Clinton Benjamin, Luke Blackwell, Ryan Jackson, Aisake O'Helper

Of course he's actually referring to Jacobs and Betts, but I thought I'd go through those who were delisted like Robinson was

headache1

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Apr 10, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings, Arsenal
The club should ask the players to go out and win football games. If they did that, and the players did what they asked, we'd be a lot better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back