Ticket inspectors

I don't fare evade when using public transport. So my view on ticket inspectors is simply, if you've got a ticket/myki card then you've got nothing to worry about.

However, there is one thing that does kinda bother me a little bit. Whenever I see ticket inspectors in an online video or in person arrest someone, that person arrested is always someone who is physically less superior than the inspectors themselves. i.e. Petite women, nerdy skinny guys etc. I don't mind if they arrest people who don't have a ticket and don't corporate. But that policy should apply to everyone.

Years ago I saw a guy at Box Hill station jump the ticket barrier right in front of a group of ticket inspectors. Just by looking at this guy I knew straight away the ticket inspectors weren't gonna touch him. This guy was big and intimidating with his shaved head and tatts everywhere on his body. One ticket inspector went up to him and asked for his ticket, the guy's response was ''* OFF campaigner!''……and he just went along his way. So basically if you look like someone who is physically gonna be a handful for these ticket inspectors, then you can pretty much get away with fare invading.

grimface_87

Premiership Player
May 27, 2008
Melbourne territory
AFL Club
North Melbourne
However, there is one thing that does kinda bother me a little bit. Whenever I see ticket inspectors in an online video or in person arrest someone, that person arrested is always someone who is physically less superior than the inspectors themselves. i.e. Petite women, nerdy skinny guys etc. I don't mind if they arrest people who don't have a ticket and don't corporate. But that policy should apply to everyone.

Why would they go out of their way to risk their safety when they can just pick on someone smaller/foreign/female?

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
If you don't have a ticket:

Step 1: Be calm.Speak in another language, hell, make one up and just seem generally disorientated.
Step 2: Don't produce a wallet or anything with id.
Step 3: Calmly get up and get off at the next stop and continue day.

"Authorised officers can only detain or arrest you without warrant if they believe on ‘reasonable grounds’ that it is necessary, for example, to make sure you go to court. They must use no more force than is reasonable to detain you. What is reasonable depends on the circumstances.

They must hand you over to the police as soon as possible."

Jul 7, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Calgary Flames
If you don't have a ticket:

Step 1: Be calm.Speak in another language, hell, make one up and just seem generally disorientated.
Step 2: Don't produce a wallet or anything with id.
Step 3: Calmly get up and get off at the next stop and continue day.

"Authorised officers can only detain or arrest you without warrant if they believe on ‘reasonable grounds’ that it is necessary, for example, to make sure you go to court. They must use no more force than is reasonable to detain you. What is reasonable depends on the circumstances.

They must hand you over to the police as soon as possible."

They're also no longer allowed to pursue you once you have left the tram and the tram stop.

Mar 5, 2005
Between the Big Sticks
AFL Club
West Coast
Such a Melbourne thing.

upload_2014-10-20_20-35-45.png

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, New York Giants
enhanced-buzz-14732-1404197743-15.jpg

The Undercover's are definitely learning what to wear in Melbs these days.

It was funny seeing "Undercover" Inspectors 12 months ago, they always stood out like dog's balls, mainly because they dressed like they just walked off the set of The Wire.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle

It was funny seeing "Undercover" Inspectors 12 months ago, they always stood out like dog's balls, mainly because they dressed like they just walked off the set of The Wire.
Jesus ******* christ! I'm not even angered by this. This is just worthy of adulation on its own. Though it also seems like something straight out of Portlandia; your city's lost it when this is its 'regular tram rider.'

What is Julian Assange doing at the front of the bus?

I'm guessing I can talk about myki inspectors here.

Did a volunteer gig in the city a month back. Was waiting for my tram and some twit woman was arguing back at myki inspectors because she had no idea what 'touch on, touch off' means. 15 minutes of that back and forth s**t (goes to show how slow my tram was). Wanted to laugh. I made sure my card was working properly, though.

Back