Autopsy Best 22 for 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

FB - Johnson Dawson Ibbotson
HB - Morabito Mcpharlin Sutcliffe
C - Hill Mundy Simpson (Fingers crossed x2000)
HF - Crozier Taberner Walters
FF - Ballas Pav Apeness (fingers crossed!! hope we land grimley or someone to give Ape time OR clarke performs)
Fol - Sandi Fyfe Neale
Bench - Barlow, Tendai, Sylvia (Fingers crossed x1000)
Sub - M.Duffy (Fingers crossed)

Very wishful thinking I know, but if all the fingers crossed guys come on AND Morabito makes a spot his ... we have a premiership winning side.
Thought I'd just make this one up, as people seem confused and dissapointed about our lack of activity in the trade period, so thought I'd remind people that we should improve over time anyway.

Players lost their spot: (As permament 22 players)
D. Pearce
N. Suban
P. Duffield
L. Spurr
Z. Clarke
C. Mayne (Hoping he comes on/back to form and then theirs a spot for him.)

Other depth:
M. Deboer (Arguably best 22 atm.)
T. Sheridan
J. Ballard
A. Pearce
A. Silvagni
R.Crowley
B. Grey
C. Pearce
Drafted players

FF: Duffy Taberner Wood
HF: Menegola Apeness Crozier
C: Grey Simpson D. Pearce
HB: A. Pearce Vandeleur C. Pearce
FB: Spurr Moller Smith
R: Hannath Morabito Sheridan
I/C: Sylvia, Sutcliffe, Neale
Sub: that Fyfe dude

FF: Duffy Taberner Wood
HF: Menegola Apeness Crozier
C: Grey Simpson D. Pearce
HB: A. Pearce Vandeleur C. Pearce
FB: Spurr Moller Smith
R: Hannath Morabito Sheridan
I/C: Sylvia, Sutcliffe, Neale
Sub: that Fyfe dude

Would be amazing for Wood and Menegola to go from delisted Rookies to starting 22.

If I had my way

FB: Spurr, Dawson, Ibbotson
HB: Johnson, Mcpharlin/Silva*, Duffield
C: Suttcliffe, Mundy, Hill
HF: Crozier, Taberner, Walters
FF: Ballantyne, Pavlich, Mayne
R: Sandilands, Fyfe, Neale
I/C: Barlow, Mzungu, Clarke S: Grey/Sheridan/Duffy

Notable omissions: Crowley, Pearce, De Boer, Suban

I want to see Sutcliffe moving into the midfield more this year. Given he's served his defensive apprenticeship and is taller than your average mid, he could replace Crowley as our primary negator. I love Crowls, but I think his singular mindset hurt us as much as it helped us in some games this year. There's no doubt he blanketed his opponent more often than not, however I believe this came at an offensive price. Sutcliffe has proven himself more than capable of locking down and his vision and attacking flair would add a dynamic to our midfield that I believe we lack at times. Also, at the risk of banging on about youth, he is considerably younger and could slot into this role for the next decade.

I've think we've seen enough from Danyle. Flashes of brilliance undone by horrendous decision making and consistently fumbling at the most inopportune moments. He's been in the system for a long time and I can't see either of these unfortunate traits improving anytime soon. You can tell he genuinely tries, I think those accusing him of being soft are being unfair, but I do agree that he becomes depth.

De Boer is already on the fringes. Who does he replace in that 22? Honest trier, a great clubman but too many deficiencies to remain a a senior fixture.

Suban. I suppose the same can be said for Nick. If only you could create a hybrid between De Boer and Subes you'd have the perfect utility to compliment the squad. Alas, we can't actually do that. Simply needs to get more of the ball. He can get some practice down at Peel.

I've italicised both Duff and Clarke as I see them as borderline. What could I say about Zac that hasn't already been bandied around this board? This year was frustrating to say the least, but I'd back him in for round 1. He gets a smaller grace period than others. Likewise, I'm just not sure that Duffield does quite enough at times. He is a sublime kick but that is a pretty old defensive set-up and I'd like to see us trial some youngsters back there throughout the course of the year. Alternatively going in without Duff would allow us to rotate guys like Mzungu, Hill, Sutcliffe, Mundy through the HB line while squeezing in an additional young mid such as Sheridan or Grey.

*I think with McPharlin is still a walk-up, but he will be managed. Silvagni will cover him.

C.Pearce Dawson Johnson
Ibbotson McPharlin Mundy
Sutcliffe Neale Hill
Mayne Taberner Walters
Ballantyne Pavlich Crozier

Sandi Fyfe Barlow
Interchange: Clarke Mzungu D.Pearce Sylvia

Spurr/Grey/Ballard - Dawson - Ibbotson
Duffield - Silvagni - Johnson
Sutcliffe - Sandilands - Hill
Mayne/Suban - Apeness - Walters
Ballantyne - Pavlich - Taberner

Griffin - Barlow - Fyfe
I/C: Neale - Mundy - Crozier
S: Duffy/Viv Michie

Spurr Dawson Duffield
Ibbo McPharlin Johnson
Sutcliffe Mzungu Hill
D.Pearce Taberner Walters
Ballantyne Pav Clarke​

Sandilands Fyfe Barlow

Neale Mundy Crozier
Morabito/Duffy

EMG/Next in: C.Pearce

Notable/controversial omissions: Mayne, Crowley (don't think these will happen but i'd like to see it tried).

Spurr Dawson Silvagni
Morabito Johnson Mundy
Sutcliffe Fyfe Hill
Walters Taberner Crozier
Ballantyne Mcpharlin Pavlich

Sandilands Neale Barlow

Ibbotson Mzungu Clarke Duffy

My thoughts on the players who can shape our 22. We have not recruited any new players apart from Hurley.

The task is in front of these players to force their way into the 22. They need to put a convincing case for inclusion together during the off-season, being fitter and stronger than their opponents. They need to show they know what Lyon expects from them in their role.

It is not easy, but it is the only way for us to be a better side in 2015.

The players that can push for best 22 - established competition for best 22 - likelihood %;

Sylvagni - MacPharlin 50%
Morabito - several 30%
Apeness - Pavlich/Mayne/Clarke 20%
Taberner - Pavlich/Mayne/several 30%
Sheridan - Suban/de Boer/D Pearce/Crozier/Mzungu/several 30%
Sylvia - Suban/de Boer/Mayne 30%
Duffy - Ballantyne/Walters/Mayne 10%
Grey - Spurr/Suban/de Boer/D Pearce/Crozier/several 10%
Ballard - Crowley/Barlow/Mzungu 5%
C Pearce - Spurr/Duffield/Ibbotson/Sutcliffe 20%
A Pearce - Johnson/MacPharlin/Ibbotson 20%
Smith - Johnson/Dawson/MacPharlin/Ibbotson 10%
Hannath - Clarke/Sandilands 10%
Griffin - Sandilands 5%

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best 22
FB: Spurr Dawson Duffield
HB: Ibbotson Silvagni\McPharlin Johnson
C: Hill Fyfe Mzungu
HF: Clarke Tabnerner
FF: Ballas Pavlich Walters
R: Sandiland Mundy Neale
Bench: Sutcliffe,

I think when fit the above 18 players demand selection.

The following players will be fighting for selection in round 1.
Crozier, Sheridan, D Pearce, Sylvia, Morabito, Apeness, C Pearce, Duffy, Crowley
At the moment I have Crozier, Morabito, Sheridan (an expecting a big improvement from him over preseason) and D Pearce in the side but this will change based on NAB cup form.

I would like to try Morabito as a tagger for a few games in the NAB cup.
I think he would be great in the centre square, he has the strength and speed to provide a soft tag and could also break away from packs. Even if not a tagger, I think having him in the centre square would free other players up to play a more outside role.
Fyfe should play forward for 40% of most games.
Mundy should play off the back flank for 40% of most games, he could play like hodge does for Hawks. As a former fullback who is 190+cm's he would be great on the resting ruck.
Barlow is brilliant on the forward flank and he should rotate forward as well.
I would be happy for Sheridan, Crozier, Neale, Sutcliffe, Morabito + the above 3 to all run through the middle so that when the game is on the line Mundy, Fyfe and Barlow and cherry ripe to take the game by the scruff of the neck.

PS - I am sure I have missed someone.

FB: Spurr, Dawson, Duffman
HB: Ibbo, Macca, Johnson
C: Hill, Mundy, Barlow
HF: Tabs, Clarke, Walters
FF: Ballas, Pav, Mayne

R: Sandi, Fyfe, Neale

Bench: D Pearce, Sutcliffe, Mzungu, Crozier

Notable ommisions: Duffy, Crozier, Sheridan, Morrabito, C Pearce, Suban, De Boer, Griffen, Crowley, Apeness, Sylvia, Silvagni

Notable ommisions: Duffy, Crozier, Sheridan, Morrabito, C Pearce, Suban, De Boer, Griffen, Crowley, Apeness, Sylvia, Silvagni

Almost, the team I would have. Just Crowley for Crozier.

Here is our 2012 semi final team against Adelaide

B: McPhee Dawson Silvagni
HB: Spurr Johnson Mzungu
C: Ibbotson Crowley De Boer
HF: Hill Mayne Mundy
F: Ballantyne Pavlich Walters
FOLL: Sandilands Fyfe C Pearce
I/C: Barlow Suban Clarke Duffield

Replace McPhee with Sutcliffe, and Neale comes in for someone, and we have a pretty close version of most of our best 22 for 2015. Three seasons down the track, nearly the same team.
To me that is a problem. Can't even say many of these guys are going to be better in 2015 than they were in 2012. We really haven't progressed enough.

To me that is a problem. Can't even say many of these guys are going to be better in 2015 than they were in 2012. We really haven't progressed enough.
Well, somehow you are right. But it also was a team that nearly made a prelim and a GF the next year. And in footy progress is still limited by flesh and bones, so unlikely in other fields you cant expect the top level to move much up in a few years. So when everybody keeps it up it is somehow Ok. Still a few important player probably are close to getting too old.

I'm pretty sure the heading was best 22
Here is our 2012 semi final team against Adelaide

B: McPhee Dawson Silvagni
HB: Spurr Johnson Mzungu
C: Ibbotson Crowley De Boer
HF: Hill Mayne Mundy
F: Ballantyne Pavlich Walters
FOLL: Sandilands Fyfe C Pearce
I/C: Barlow Suban Clarke Duffield

Replace McPhee with Sutcliffe, and Neale comes in for someone, and we have a pretty close version of most of our best 22 for 2015. Three seasons down the track, nearly the same team.

I can think of 5 that will be in this team if fit on round 1, 2015: Crozier, Taberner, Neale, Sutcliffe and Morabito. (If you count D Pearce it's actually 6) Your looking at a turnover rate of about 20/25% in 3 years.
Your general point is good though.....I think Ross does turn over players a little less than other afl coaches.

B: Johno Dawson Sutcliffe
HB:Ibbo Mcpharlin/Silvagni Gu
C: Hill Barlow Walters
R: Sandy, Neale, Fyfe/Crowley
HF: Crozier Tabs Fyfe/Crowley
FF: Mayne, Pav, Balla
I/C Clarke, Mundy, Duff/Spurr, Sub Mora
Emergency D.Pearce, Duff/Spurr, Sheridan
Explanation of my 22

Im tipping massive improvement from Crozier next year alternating between wing and half forward.
While I think Walters will spend 50% go game time on the wing after RTB signaled the midfield move in one of his last press conferences last season.
I also think Mundy will spend significant time across half back after being exposed by Wines for his lack of endurance in the last half of the finals game against Port
While I think Fyfe will spend the whole year starting in the centre square at every bounce and then pushing forward to play as a permanent forward line player.
I would love to see Crowley pick up his man after the centre bounce (swapping with Fyfe) , so we can maximize our chances of winning centre clearances with three attacking mids at the foot of Sandy/Clarke with Neale, Mundy, Barlow, Hill and Fyfe rotating through there only when all five mids are in the team together.
Mora, I think will play on a wing and some half back if he has a full preseason.
I also don't think both Spurr and Duffield will be in our best 22. If you play both our defense can get exposed for pace against quick small forwards like we did against Port.
Sylvia is someone Ill pass judgement on after watching some training.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back