List Mgmt. Simpson Delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Although Josh has been formally delisted, the club will continue to work with him and his management to provide appropriate levels of support and assistance into 2015.”
Can't see him being re rookied after this comment. Glad the club will support him still.

Quite the contrary Sep.
I read that as virtually certain we will re-draft him. It seems most people on here called it; we'll rookie list him.
Good for the club and the best he could have hoped for given the seriousness of his action.

Plus it seems even the other Aboriginal boys couldn't get through to him either. Walters and I think Johnson were his mentors and the wonderful Roger Hayden is there as well. Not sure what else you can do.

Yep ,Johnno was asked by myself and a mate how Josh was going mid season and Johnno just looked at us ,shook his head and said ,the kid just wont listen and walked off.I think the club did every thing possible for Josh but he dances to a different tune .

Quite the contrary Sep.
I read that as virtually certain we will re-draft him. It seems most people on here called it; we'll rookie list him.
Good for the club and the best he could have hoped for given the seriousness of his action.
All the quotes prior to that were of Simpson being given standards and expectations to meet and he didn't.
I don't expect to see Simpson on our list next year.

Yep ,Johnno was asked by myself and a mate how Josh was going mid season and Johnno just looked at us ,shook his head and said ,the kid just wont listen and walked off.I think the club did every thing possible for Josh but he dances to a different tune .

Walters said quite openly the exact thing to a couple of other training watches who asked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was reliably informed that our recruiters were set to pick Grundy ahead of Simpson, and RTB overruled.
Would've grabbed Broomhead or Hrovat before either of them. They will both be long term solid contributors. Broomhead in particular is a clear thinker, tackles well and a capable kick on either foot. The club was aware that Simpson would need plenty of cuddling even before they drafted him. Strong ambition needs to be considered more highly for future picks IMO.

I think everybody has something inside them that drives them to achieve. If they can't find what drives Josh, he's gone, otherwise this could just be a game they play for the media so they don't need to delist anybody that would weaken the list depth. Josh is unwanted by any club by the tone of the current statement.

RTB's game play takes a lot of training time for new recruits to lern before they can earn their debuts.

His manager came out in trade week and said he was desperate to be retained.

Yeah he did, sounded very positive. But I said it then, and I'll say it again, if you're that desperate, then you do. Being desperate is just a state, turning that into action is what Josh needed to do. When I heard that interview alarm bells went off actually. Not that we could ever be certain from our very distant vantage points, but when I didn't hear anything concrete I became less convinced at that very moment that the club would hold him even though I was still hopeful that they would.

I for one am so so disappointed, what a talent that will (most likely) disappear into the either.

But what really bugs me is that we've got to work out a way to get these guys able to fulfil their dreams and hopes while maintaining the standards that elite sport at that level requires. Who knows, maybe Josh is happy to just give up on it, and if so, fair enough. But if he's simply fallen to circumstances rather than his genuine choosing, that's double the tragedy for mine.

It's a damn shame the "system" can't accommodate someone like Simpson, while there are plenty of bogans, thugs, druggies, pissheads, etc. running around at various clubs. We've got a kid who just loves to play footy, but that's not good enough. He was so excited during/after the Essendon game, it really is sad to see what has happened.

If he was able to make the side in Rd 4, then he wasn't just some lost cause, as he presumably was doing the right things to gain selection. Then we axed him unfairly. Sure, you can say the kid shouldn't have dropped his bundle, but I wonder how this all would have turned out with a different selection policy. Could have been a different story.

Give him another game, he gets more excited, trains hard, plays hard, and continues on from there. The club should have known what could happen with the actions they chose. They shouldn't have selected him in the first place if they were going to drop him regardless of his performance. People will defend the club (and fair enough on many levels), but they still have to cop a fair share of the blame for instigating this, and then not being able to return things to the early season situation where he was doing the right things.

Dropping him for the Sydney game may have been a test by the club of the kids resolve. I have seen it happen before with borderline players played one week - better than some oftheir team mates, then sent back to the Magoos to see how they respond. Do they really want it?? Their actions would tell the club straight away. In Josh's case, the resolve just isnt there. Shame we wont see this kid in full flight.

If he was able to make the side in Rd 4, then he wasn't just some lost cause, as he presumably was doing the right things to gain selection. Then we axed him unfairly. Sure, you can say the kid shouldn't have dropped his bundle, but I wonder how this all would have turned out with a different selection policy. Could have been a different story.

Agree that expectations on him are unfair, given his background. I'm also really gutted as most are as it's pretty clear he's a rare talent. However, this is a business. Fair doesn't come into it. AFL is now so far removed from it's local suburban roots that they're now a different species. AFL is about the almighty dollar. Fair has nothing to do with that.

Exactly, as Malthouse showed in '10, it's not about characters or culture or systems or individuals or unity, even a bunch of morally corrupt bogans in a team riddled with internal conflict can be made into a premiership force. It's about making it work without all these whimsical & idealistic notions of what AFL players and a team's culture should be like. If this means turning a blind eye to bad behaviour so be it. (also see WC 05/06)

I don't care what Josh did or did not do, he was a talented player who should still be on our list.

Wow... You don't care what josh did he should still be on the list? Couldn't disagree more.

Josh had some cultural hurdles to overcome, I understand and appreciate that, but I don't care who you are, if you refuse to get on a flight because you have the sulks, well then you deserve everything that's coming to you into.

As for my earlier comments on bond and Lloyd, I stand by them, and yes there have been some unlucky circumstances, but we should of picked darling instead of Pitt, anyone could see that, morabito is unlucky, and with Simpson, well that was fairly predictable. I have faith that sheridan and apeness will be good, hill is a gun, but all in all I think bond and Lloyd fail when it comes to chosing high end talent, it's bloody frustrating

1st rounders over time have shown to be around a 50% hit rate.

Our last 10 years:

2003: Dunn, Murphy
2004: Traded away (Josh Carr)
2005: Drum
2006: Traded away (Tarrant)
2007: Palmer (ACL)
2008: Hill
2009: Morabito (ACL x3)
2010: Pitt (career ending heart condition)
2011: Sheridan
2012: Simpson
2013: Apeness
A few comments, we are suffering the effects of the Carr/Tarrant trades now. You can't predict ACLs or heart conditions. Sheridan, Pitt come from two very compromised drafts. They were almost 2nd rounders as was Simpson & Apeness.

The hit ratio is poor, but is made to look worse by freak injuries/conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back