News 2014-2015 off-season news thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Box Hill licking its wounds after failing to go back to back in 2014, there will be off-season news to track, including player movements (both in-bound and, unfortunately, out-bound) as well as coaches moving between gigs.

To start off, Paul Amy just posted on twitter that Box Hill assistant coach Patrick Hill has left Box Hill to become the new senior coach at Frankston, replacing Simon Goosey. Well done Patrick, on your appointment.

Well done to Sam Isles on winning the B&F last night.
He's had a great season. Elite runner probably just lacking in ball usage which has stopped him from having a good AFL career.

Jordan Kelly finishing third suggests that at least the coaching staff were happy with his year. Get the sense that Kelly can take instruction and Clarko loves that. Purely based on that result would expect to see Kelly go around again for us next season.

Massive result for Lowden finishing fouth. Can see why he wants out, so much talent.

The Brand Wagon keeps on rolling along. Fifth is better than my expectations. Perfect development year, would expect him to jag a few games next season.

Congrats to Sam Isles, his consistent season was justly rewarded.

A rundown of the awards (gleaned from the Box Hill twitter account):

Col Austen Trophy - Sam Isles (David Mirra 2nd, Jordan Kelly 3rd)
Best Senior Finals Player - Mitch Hallahan
Most Professional Player - Brandon Wood
Best First Year Player - Billy Hartung
Team First Award - Xavier Murphy
Most Consistent Award - Jordan Kelly
Honest Effort/Most Courageous Award - Alex Woodward
Senior Goal Kicking Award - Sam Grimley (38 goals)
Development League B&F - Tom Miles (Peter McEvoy 2nd, Sam Crocker 3rd)
Best Finals Player in the Development Squad - Corey Cassidy
Development Squad Leading Goal Kicker Award - Peter McEvoy
3WBC Most Outstanding Player Award - Ayden Kennedy
2014 Trainers Award (Most Professional Player) - Sam Collins
Ron Gibbs Memorial Trophy (Volunteers Award) - Andrew Redden

Last edited:
In the 20 metres sprint test Saad and Taylor highlighted their strength (see vision below), as both set the early best times. Taylor – who recorded the best sprint time last time he attended Combine and ran one second flat over the first five metres - produced a 2.91 run, but it was Saad who impressed with his final run of 2.86. The time was the equal best of the State Combine and the best by a Victorian at the 2014 National or State Combine;

Such a shame Kennedy ********* his knee again. For a 192cm bloke, he can run, jump & the rest.

No VFL to be broadcast on ABC from 2015 onwards after the ABC informed the VFL that it couldn't commit the necessary resources to the broadcast.

That is an absolute tragedy. Surely one of the political parties has got to jump in pre-state election and promise to send some funds to the ABC?? It is the best coverage especially with the camera getting into the huddles for the coaches addresses. Will be devastated if this occurs.

ABC's cost cutting measures & underfunding of their OB units have led to this. It really reflects badly on them.

The irony is that the SANFL commentators this season were mostly ex-ABC commentators.
Yeah, watching the SANFL, it was almost identical to watching it on the ABC. The only difference was the ads.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ABC's cost cutting measures & underfunding of their OB units have led to this. It really reflects badly on them.

The irony is that the SANFL commentators this season were mostly ex-ABC commentators.

Ultimately, the ABC's budget is set by the Commonwealth Government, which reduced the ABC's budget in this year's federal budget. Cuts have to be made, and the broadcast of the state leagues is not on its own when it comes to suffering from those cuts.

channel 7 or 9 i can't remember are supposedly in negotiations to broadcast one game each week just like in SA and WA. All is not lost nothing is official as yet

Yes, I heard rumours about this before the season ended - that the ABC would not be covering it but a commercial channel was looking at taking it up - so hopefully we will still get to see a game each week. I will miss the ABC coverage though, generally speaking I thought they did a good job.

Ultimately, the ABC's budget is set by the Commonwealth Government, which reduced the ABC's budget in this year's federal budget. Cuts have to be made, and the broadcast of the state leagues is not on its own when it comes to suffering from those cuts.
Absolutely. The ABC across the board is being slashed. I have several friends who work for it & their stories of how it is being managed are very sad.

Country Australia is the loser in the short term. We'll all lose in the long term.

I heard Phil Cleary interviewed on SEN the other day and he said he was interested in going to Channel 7 to continue covering the VFL. I hope 7 do take some (if not all) of the commentary team from the ABC because if I have to listen to someone like Brian Taylor commentating the VFL I think I will lose the will to live.

I heard Phil Cleary interviewed on SEN the other day and he said he was interested in going to Channel 7 to continue covering the VFL. I hope 7 do take some (if not all) of the commentary team from the ABC because if I have to listen to someone like Brian Taylor commentating the VFL I think I will lose the will to live.
They have tried to keep that continuity with SANFL commentators. If C7 staff continue that trend, they will probably employ a lot of the ABC employees.

The worst case scenario is that it becomes a dumping ground for ex-footballers who wanna-be commentators - think a whole tribe of Luke Darcy's just starting out.

Yuk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back