Aug 13, 2014
Awaiting WADA's devastating response
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
r inferior
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-21/round-one-2015-revealed

Officially confirmed.

Very interesting that given the way the ASADA business is running there is a high probability Essendon may not be able to field a full-strength team in this round, or in some that follow for that matter, but present speculation is leaning towards players being unavailable for the first few opening rounds at a bare minimum.

Obviously the AFL cannot wait until the ASADA business is concluded before deciding next year's fixture, but I would've thought some kind of "lottery" could have been implemented to decide how close to the start of the year each team would play Essendon, because let's be honest about this - if twenty or more Essendon players are suspended such games becomes training drills and four free premiership points for their opponents.

Why do SOME clubs deserve to profit from this while others will most likely miss out?

It's a bit hard to rubbish it when we don't know the penalty and we don't know who else gets to play Essendon early on.

• Banned
It's a bit hard to rubbish it when we don't know the penalty and we don't know who else gets to play Essendon early on.
Yes but I think its only prudent the AFL creates the fixture under the assumption that Essendon players will miss a chunk of the season given the odds of it happening aren't exactly slim. Heck the AFL is in a much better position to estimate what kind of possible penalty they'd be looking at than we are, I'm sure they'd have a pretty good idea what to expect.

Playing a team who's had half its list wiped out (if only temporarily) is a HUGE advantage over rival teams who don't enjoy the same benefit in may what shape up to be another tight race for the top 4 and top 8.

What do you want them to do? You can't just make a fixture without Essendon. It's the same as teams playing GC17 GWS twice, especially in previous years, obviously they're improving now. If they had drawn Hawthorn in round 1 would you of been creating this thread? Doubt it.

If Essendon was drawn a struggling team first up, there would be complaints. Now that it is confirmed that Essendon will play the 2014 minor premier and runner up first up next year, there are complaints. Can't win either way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Won't be an issue as long as the bans are two years and not just the first couple of rounds; that would be a slap on the wrist.
Even if that turns out to be the case shepp -I'm not saying it will or it won't- there will still be a distinct advantage to playing Essendon as early as possible before whatever team the club is allowed to field has had time to gel, and perhaps acclimatize to AFL standard if many players happen to be newly-recruited from the state leagues.

Unless ALL Essendon players escape sanctions (looks unlikely at this stage) every club will want to play the Bombers as early in the season as possible.

Even if that turns out to be the case shepp -I'm not saying it will or it won't- there will still be a distinct advantage to playing Essendon as early as possible before whatever team the club is allowed to field has had time to gel, and perhaps acclimatize to AFL standard if many players happen to be newly-recruited from the state leagues.

Unless ALL Essendon players escape sanctions (looks unlikely at this stage) every club will want to play the Bombers as early in the season as possible.

So I guess some teams were bound to have an early advantage. No surprise with this outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back