Rank the Round 1 games in order of interest

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 13, 2012
Waiting for Josh Kelly #2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Getting in early! :p Right now, which game from the leaked Round 1 fixture interests you the most, not featuring your own team? For me:

1. Brisbane v Collingwood (Gabba)
Beams coming up against his old side, the return of the premiership lion, a number of players making their club debut such as Christensen, Greenwood, Varcoe and possibly Crisp. Should also be a cracking game with the Pies out for revenge given their Round 21 thumping last year.

2. Carlton v Richmond (MCG)
First game of the year, therefore interest levels will be at a maximum. How will a new-look Carlton, without players such as McLean, Robinson, Waite and Garlett, with new faces like Jaksch, Whiley and even Kreuzer, go against the Tigers who haven't done much to change their side from last season? Should be a cracking contest like the past two have been.

3. Fremantle v Port Adelaide (Subiaco)
If their past two clashes are anything to go by, this one should be a beauty. Port will be one of the premiership favourites going into 2015, and a win on the road to start things off will ramp expectations up massively. While the Dockers will be looking to prove a massive point and show they're still a premiership force.

4. Hawthorn v Geelong
Be good to see how the Hawks kickstart their quest to go back-to-back-to-back over their arch rivals in Geelong. The Kennett Curse is pretty much dead and buried now, but these contests are usually rippers. Will Frawley play his first game for the Hawks against former teammate Mitch Clark in his debut match for Geelong?

5. Western Bulldogs v West Coast
Reckon this could be a very close contest. The Eagles clearly have the firepower to be a devastating threat to every team in the league, but struggle with their midfield. How will they be in 2015? The Dogs will likely unveil new recruit Tom Boyd, and he will be watched intently. New coach and new captain will also be on show for the first time for the Bulldogs.

6. Sydney v Essendon
Really depends on what happens to the Bombers with the ASADA case. If their squad is depleted, it won't be worth watching (apart from the lulz), but if they field a best 22, it proves to be quite a close game. Essendon will (probably/maybe/possibly/whobloodyknows) welcome back James Hird into the coaching box, while the Swans will be out to avenge their painful Grand Final defeat. And of course, all eyes will be on Buddy, especially considering his love-affair with Essendon.

7. St Kilda v Greater Western Sydney
The Saints will field a young team with likely number one draft pick Christian Petracca, while the Giants may also have a couple of young draftees debut. It will also be Ryan Griffen's first game for the charcoals. Interest in this one is high despite ranking seventh.

8. Melbourne v Gold Coast
The Suns will be out to prove they are a top four threat, and, hopefully with a fully-fit Ablett plus a new coach at the helm, will be looking to do some damage to Melbourne. Paul Roos' team will likely feature some new faces, such as Jeff Garlett, Jesse Hogan and Heritier Lumumba, while the Suns will unveil Nick Malceski in the red, gold and blue.

I think all the games will be fairly interesting, I like the match ups.
1) Fremantle vs Port Adelaide
2) Brisbane vs Collingwood
3) Carlton vs Richmond
4) Melbourne vs Gold Coast
5) Sydney vs Essendon
6) Adelaide vs North Melb
7) Bulldogs vs WCE
8) St Kilda vs GWS

Lions v Pies for me.

Sick to death of Hawks and Cats though. Is it just me on this one?
Hawks vs Cats has lost its appeal to a neutral now, Im more interested in the Swans/Hawks or Port/Freo matches, but at the same time they have to play each other some time and should still draw 70k in round 1.

1) Fremantle v Port Adelaide - Two top four sides at it. An epic rematch following this year's semi-final
2) Hawthorn v Geelong - A traditional clash, but things could get interesting this year. Will Geelong's predicted slide show when they play their biggest rival?
3) Adelaide v North Melbourne - Phil Walsh's first game in charge. Two sides with the potential to do very well
4) Carlton v Richmond - First game of the year, usually a close contest. We'll get a glimpse of a renovated Blues' team and whether or not Richmond can rebound from their EF defeat
5) Melbourne v Gold Coast - I'd expect the Suns to win this easily, but it can be interesting (and scary) to watch their young players in action
6) Western Bulldogs v West Coast - New Dogs' coach, Tom Boyd.
7) Sydney Swans v Essendon - A pending decision could make this game fairly one-sided
8) St Kilda v Greater Western Sydney - Meh.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lions v Pies for me.

Sick to death of Hawks and Cats though. Is it just me on this one?
Dunno how bad it is in Perth, but in Melbourne the media start talking about it a month before the game. It's not like the season isn't going on and there's three games in between, nope, it's all about Hawthorn and Geelong.

Pisses me off.

Carlton vs Richmond. Two underperforming sides from last year, first game of the year, interesting to see how they go.
Geelong vs Hawthorn. Going to be as epic as all the others
Brisbane vs Collingwood. Beams vs old side.
Adelaide vs North. Should be close
Melbourne vs Gold Coast. Can melbourne compete?
Sydney vs Essendon. Sydney should win
Bulldogs vs West Coast. Another thumping from the flat tracks. Will be interesting to see how Boyd goes.
St. Kilda vs GWS. Couldn't care less. Griffin at new home.

1. Hawks V Cats - Always a cracker of a game, but only the match later in the year will have any significance.
2. Freo V Port - It'll be an interesting rematch after the 2014 finals. Ryder possibly in action.
3. Brisbane V Pies - interested to see how the new look Brisbane is shaping up.
4. Sydney V Bombers - will Hird be coach? What will happen with the ASADA crap? Will the swans start the season slow again?
5. Carlton V Richmond - Traditional rivalry.
6. Melbourne V Gold Coast - I guess we'll be waiting to see if Melb has improved again.
7. Saints V GWS - GWS fascinate me as I keep expecting the Giant to awaken and dominate the comp.

1. Sydney vs Essendon

By far the most interesting game of the round for an assortment of reasons, many of them off-field related.

The Hawks v Cats game will be a non-event, recent history shows we have their measure, comfortably.

Last time we played the swans in round 1, Lloyd kicked 6 in the first term from memory?? and 8 for the game??

Joey D to run amok.

lol idk why we are playing essendon in the first round, weird.

We all know exactly why you are playing Essendon early in the season. If the Essendon players get a weak punishment, a la the NRL players, then it may only be the first month that they are an automatic win. I doubt anyone be surprised if Essendon's first month included GWS and/or GC as well, just in case the players don't miss the whole year.

This is extremely funny coming from an Essendon supporter. I wouldn't be speaking about wooden spoons if I were you...
Haven't got one in 80 years Thrawny.

Sorry, didn't pick up on the "Don't pick the game with your team in" thing. Have left it as 'strike-through'.

1. Hawthorn v Geelong

Geelong might be on the slide, but we won't know for a while. In the meantime these have been some of the great matches for years now. One of three games where IMO both protagonists should be in the eight at the end of the year.

2. Fremantle v Port Adelaide
2014 form and results mean this should be a pretty watchable game. The second game where IMO both protagonists should be in the eight at the end of the year. Not too much predictable change in either team's structures from 2014 (I don't expect Ryder to be available for this game).

3. Brisbane v Collingwood

Many of us expect Brisbane to be much stronger this year. List changes and players returning from injury pretty much guarantee that. Collingwood begin to face real pressure to perform as the list Buckley inherited continues to turn over. The human interest factor is high and D Beams' move to the Lions adds a little extra.

4. Adelaide v North Melbourne
Two watchable teams who have a bit of a grudge thing going. The final game where IMO both protagonists should be in the eight at the end of the year.

5. Carlton v Richmond
As the 'traditional' first game of the year it has a few % of extra meaning beyond a normal H&A game.

6. Western Bulldogs v West Coast
Largely because IMO it's more closely balanced than the games to follow. But also because like with Buddy at the start of 2014 we want to see what Boyd will do.

7. Sydney v Essendon
I expect Essendon to be barely able to field a team due to the eventual ASADA edict and so it would have a ghoulish fascination. But even if ASADA are swallowed up in a black hole and a full-strength Essendon take the field it should be watchable.

8. Melbourne v Gold Coast
Potentially the least interesting game. But big list changes at Melbourne and further development of their coaching group give this game a tinge of interest.

9. St Kilda v Greater Western Sydney

Probably the only game where IMO neither team will make the eight. Doesn't mean it'll be a bad game, heck it could be the best of the round. But when you rank games someone has to come ninth.

Last edited:
1) Hawthorn v Geelong match of the round with the two heavy weights. Expecting a big hawks win.
2) Fremantle vs Port Adelaide for obvious reasons plus a great semi-final rematch
3) Adelaide v North Melbourne to see how the new coach at adelaide influences game style
4) Sydney vs Essendon just to see how Essendon can field a side
5) Brisbane vs Collingwood the beams thing
6) Carlton vs Richmond just to see the tigers smash carlton
7) Melbourne vs Gold Coast the rise and rise of GC
8) Bulldogs vs WCE to see boyd in new colours
9) St Kilda vs GWS wake me up when its over

Remove this Banner Ad

Back