Strategy National Draft discussion (Dan Howe, Tay-ah Miles, Marc Pittonet, Willsmore, Webster)

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe that Grimely has been made aware of our intentions to delist him.
Not really surprising considering he asked for a new home during the trade period. But, while there may have been a few muted enquiries, clubs didn't batter the door down to grab him for a price. So, are the Hawks making up the sign that reads, 'Gangly forward FREE to a good home'?

if Grimley does leave i expect our last pick will be for a rookie upgrade or for picking up a free-agent, Blease has been talked about and i remember liking him around our pick in his draft, i remember it because i liked Zaharakhis and Blease for our pick i believe it was in the early 20's..........i cant remember who we got, i'll look it up

edit: it was 2008 draft and we got Schoey at 16 instead........i really wanted zaharakhis/blease that draft too

so was Mitch Thorp, granted there were some matters of influence.

just hearing that the Club may be prepared to pay out his contract and delist

Did you also hear why? He is a lovely kid to talk to, good sense of humor, and shows a bit of promise given that big guys can take a while to develop. He's close with Jordan Lewis so has someone in the leadership group on his side. Is it because there is a fair bit of talent out there and we have fewer open spots on our list than we like?

I have an overwhelming feeling that we are going to draft boy Dylan Hodge and Harry Dear - provided that someone else doesn't draft either first. Would love to see both at the club, make I happen Hawks.

Harry Dear would not play AFL for several years so is a rookie at best. The Hawks have been pretty clear on that, including with Harry and his family.

Not really surprising considering he asked for a new home during the trade period. But, while there may have been a few muted enquiries, clubs didn't batter the door down to grab him for a price. So, are the Hawks making up the sign that reads, 'Gangly forward FREE to a good home'?

With Hale, Ceglar, Big Boy, Lowden and Grimley we looked over-stocked on ruckmen, but with Lowden leaving and Hale on surely his last year, I don't think we will delist Grimley this year.

Grimley is not a ruckman. End of story. He's a mobile KPF, no more, no less. Well, maybe less.

I see your point. I've thought for a while that his best position might be CHB. He doesn't seem to be able to read the play that well up forward and in defence he can follow his opponent. Not sure if his one on one marking/spoiling is up to it but his dash out of defence and leap would be good to see. Worth a try rather than delisting I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Baulderstone from Norwood in the SANFL is definitely worth a spot on our rookie list. Arguably the best ruckman in State Leagues right now.

I have an overwhelming feeling that we are going to draft boy Dylan Hodge and Harry Dear - provided that someone else doesn't draft either first. Would love to see both at the club, make I happen Hawks.
Wouldn't feel right to see a hodge in another jumper

he kicks with his right foot, i believe he is slightly taller, he does have that competitive streak Luke has.......looks more like a late draft possibility/rookie

His movement is awfully similar to his brother, the way he runs etc. lower limbs flopping around all over the place.

Basically he doesn't have the required fitness base nor does he have the right body composition
Sounds a lot like Luke's issues ( other than his groin) when he first arrived at Hawthorn.

Last edited:
If Grimley goes I think we've all learnt a valuable lessons that we should put in place immediately.

If collingwood is interested in a player then leave them right alone! I think it memory serves me correctly collingwood were really interested in both Grimley (apparently hid him away) and trent stubbs. In hindsight maybe we should have let them have them!

Lets not make the same mistake again!

If Grimley goes I think we've all learnt a valuable lessons that we should put in place immediately.

If collingwood is interested in a player then leave them right alone! I think it memory serves me correctly collingwood were really interested in both Grimley (apparently hid him away) and trent stubbs. In hindsight maybe we should have let them have them!

Lets not make the same mistake again!

Sure you're not getting confused with Lowden? Pies were into him in a big way.

What are the chances of the hawks taking Hodge's Brother ?
And Rookie Listing Peter McEvoy ? Bens little brother ??
Hodge, may be a slight chance.

McEvoy, no chance IMO.

I've been looking at the draftees and made my own list of players who I'd like to pick (bolded are my first choices if available).

31:

Jack Lonie (Mid/Fwd)

Dean Gore (Mid)

Oscar McDonald (KPD)

Alex Neal-Bullen(Inside Mid)

Connor Blakely (Mid)

49/50:

Jack Cripps(KPF/Ruck)

Caleb Daniel (Mid/Fwd)

Matthew Hammelmann (KPP)

Cory Gregson (Inside Mid)

Tyler Keitel (KPF)

68:

Aiden Anderson (Small Forward)

Touk Miller (Inside Mid)

Teia Miles (Mid/Def)

Sam Bevan (KPP)

Nathan Drummond (Mid/Def)

Rookies:

Harry Dear (KPF/Ruck)

Brenton Payne (KPF)

Brayden Maynard (Utility)

Toby McLean (Small Forward)
All aboard the Jack Lonie bus! I'm on it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back