Mega Thread AFL: No Trades (READ OP)

Leg End

Club Legend
Apr 8, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
That is exactly what the AFL is expecting.

You give these w@nkers too much credit. They have shown their true colours. They are reactionary, seat warming visionless idiots at the beck and call of Fat Eddie and several other navel gazing egotistical tossers.

Look at the tens of millions wasted at GWS, Folau etc to date. Now they have Boyd and others taking the money for several years then heading back to Victoria. Rather than fix their strategy, they attack the foundation Sydney club which made the GWS concept viable in the first place.

This is evidence of incompetence at staggering levels. And they are being led by the nose by an idiot with the biggest, most powerful club in the AFL which can't even make the 8. Keystone bloody cops.

You give these w@nkers too much credit. They have shown their true colours. They are reactionary, seat warming visionless idiots at the beck and call of Fat Eddie and several other navel gazing egotistical tossers.

Look at the tens of millions wasted at GWS, Folau etc to date. Now they have Boyd and others taking the money for several years then heading back to Victoria. Rather than fix their strategy, they attack the foundation Sydney club which made the GWS concept viable in the first place.

This is evidence of incompetence at staggering levels. And they are being led by the nose by an idiot with the biggest, most powerful club in the AFL which can't even make the 8. Keystone bloody cops.

The decision is just as calculated as it is incompetent.
The sad thing is the AFL actually believes its own BS. Whether it is COLA or endless #1 draft picks or bottomless money pits, thousands of years of history and millions of people who tried will tell you that there is no short-cut to success.

mark121

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2009
sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
How long do we expect the academies to last?

I would geuss a maximum 5 years for GWS and only 2 years for us until they are gone or diluted to the point they become useless.

And how did being the most watched club help us? It didn't give us any power against the Victorian cartel. Evil flourishes when good men do nothing.
Means it's something we can claim and other clubs can't. It may not give "power" but why lose a position we have?

How long do we expect the academies to last?

I would geuss a maximum 5 years for GWS and only 2 years for us until they are gone or diluted to the point they become useless.

So long as the AFL pay for it, I have no issue with this. My issue is if the AFL expect us to pay for it and for us to get no benefit.

I remember being a young lad in 1994 (I think) at a Geelong home game with my family. I was the only one in my family going for Sydney that day but I dragged everyone around to find the Swans merch van/tent. I had saved up and saved up and managed to afford to buy myself my first ever merch, being a badge and a plastic mug. I have them both to this day, safely stored away with my other precious swans memorabilia. They mean so much to me, I'd give up far more expensive things to keep them. They are more precious, valuable and irreplaceable to me than a lot of what I luckily own. The reason is not only because they were my first swans related purchases. But also the lady I bought them off (who gave me the badge for free I later realised) knelt down to my level when she was handing me the bag and said "You are the most important person I've sold anything to today because you are the future of our great club. Thankyou for helping to save it today for tomorrow."

I am a supporter. I barrack for this club with my heart and with all the passion I can muster. I want to do something/anything to help them. What I don't want to do is do nothing. Nothing achieves nothing. I think we all should do whatever we can, no matter how much impact you think it may or may not have, to help support our club in the face of adversity.

Obviously each to their own, but I'll be damned if I sit back and do nothing. I'm passionate and ready to support my club through thick & thin.

Tuco

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
The AFL are on too good a wicket re the Academy. They're bleeding our IP and sponsors largesse to the tune of millions. And are probably threatening our Academy selections as a control measure to stop us complaining too hard when they pull s**t like they just did in trade week.

They start restricting us to one player a year and making us pay 3 picks to pay "value" if they're any good, it will sadly become an onerous waste of time.

Multiple picks for an unproven kid is too much of a risk. We'll end up passing on more and more of them until we just end up paying to develop players for other clubs.

I remember being a young lad in 1994 (I think) at a Geelong home game with my family. I was the only one in my family going for Sydney that day but I dragged everyone around to find the Swans merch van/tent. I had saved up and saved up and managed to afford to buy myself my first ever merch, being a badge and a plastic mug. I have them both to this day, safely stored away with my other precious swans memorabilia. They mean so much to me, I'd give up far more expensive things to keep them. They are more precious, valuable and irreplaceable to me than a lot of what I luckily own. The reason is not only because they were my first swans related purchases. But also the lady I bought them off (who gave me the badge for free I later realised) knelt down to my level when she was handing me the bag and said "You are the most important person I've sold anything to today because you are the future of our great club. Thankyou for helping to save it today for tomorrow."

I am a supporter. I barrack for this club with my heart and with all the passion I can muster. I want to do something/anything to help them. What I don't want to do is do nothing. Nothing achieves nothing. I think we all should do whatever we can, no matter how much impact you think it may or may not have, to help support our club in the face of adversity.

Obviously each to their own, but I'll be damned if I sit back and do nothing. I'm passionate and ready to support my club through thick & thin.

Love every part of the sentiment

Let me know when it makes a difference though

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
If you want to cut foxtel or piss on a toyota or not go to a game good luck

Apart from making you feel good it wont do well

Im not writing to anyone, singing any petition, boycotting games or cutting foxtel

Wont buy a toyota as i was not anyway but if i get a good deal then i will

I think the trade ban was stuffed but i still want to watch as much footy as possible and i am sorry but i think doing any of the above is useless

May as well go out and do a rain dance to make it rain on gil or the commission will have as much impact

My advice is put the pitchfork down and enjoy the game

Not saying its not fecked up but oh well move on

Of course you're entitled to your apathy.

Tuco

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
I once had a chat with a lovely young girl from London. Politics came up and she was moaning about the Tories. I asked her how they kept getting voted in if they were so unpopular. She shrugged. I then asked her if she voted. She said she'd never voted in her life. :eek::rolleyes:

She was in her late 20's.

So there it is boys and girls. Exercise the power in your hands or you have no right to complain if you don't like the results.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans

Passion !! That's what our club is made of.

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
So long as the AFL pay for it, I have no issue with this. My issue is if the AFL expect us to pay for it and for us to get no benefit.

If we continued to pay for it n ran it how many draftees would do their 2 years service n then say "cya later I'm outa here n I'm goin home" "I choose Sydney to be traded to" I'd say a fair few. Or do u imagine "yeh I'll stay even though I've spent the last 6 years of my life before I was drafted hating the maggotpies, sh!t n p!ss n the mutts" whichever way you look at it when it comes to NSW talent we win no matter what so suck it up McChin. This is what fat guts Gordy, McChin n suckmybolt r sh!tting themselves about.

I share the frustration but the club have their hands tied. If they protest too loudly the AFL will just slap further unfair restrictions on them.

We can hope the AFLPA will kick up a fuss but they're more against the principle. Whether or not that is sufficient for them to throw enough weight behind the cause is anyone's guess.

The people who can make a difference are us Swans fans (and sympathetic fans of other clubs). We are untouchable. We are the foundation upon which the AFL's success depends. No fans = no AFL. It's up to us to act on behalf of our club. We expect the players to go the extra mile for us, to sacrifice and to give everything for the good of the club. Let's show the club that we are behind them 100% on this. We can hit out at the AFL directly (by not buying their products) and through their sponsors.

As an example, we can hit them through their major sponsors and backers. Talk to anyone you know who might be considering buying a Toyota. If there's an alternative try to convince them to buy that and to let Toyota know why. That as the main sponsor of the AFL you will not buy their products while the AFL is manipulating the competition by placing unfair and unjust restrictions on The (mighty) Sydney Swans. Better yet buy a VW and let Toyota know that VW are the good guys and Toyoda are bank-rolling a bunch of cheating VFL dogs. Even if you're buying a VW anyway write to Toyota and tell them the same thing.

Cancel your Foxtel subscription (if you have one). We can also boycott games at ANZ, boycott GWS games, boycott Suns games. Hit out at the AFL's pet projects.
I thought jeep were your car sponsor or is that only buddy's girlfriend? Regardless I agree that as a fan you need to hit them in the hip pocket - that's how we got rid of variable pricing.

Don't do anything to hurt the club but the AFL is another matter. Boycotting products of sponsors (make sure you let them know why) is a good start. The AFL is a greed machine. Cash in one end, gravy out the other. Anything that threatens the gravy will make them take notice.
Buy club memberships and drop afl memberships.

And no I am not being a dodgy silver afl member trying to move up the waiting list.

Dunkley can do a Wyngard - the club would need to not nominate him as a father son and then he would need to say to every club I only want to play for the Swans and if you draft me I will leave after two years.
That's plenty of time to develop an "anxiety" disorder which is best managed being close to his "home environment" aFL will not dare go against a male with mental health issues (massive media backlash risk)

MickyG

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
The AFL are on too good a wicket re the Academy. They're bleeding our IP and sponsors largesse to the tune of millions. And are probably threatening our Academy selections as a control measure to stop us complaining too hard when they pull s**t like they just did in trade week.

They start restricting us to one player a year and making us pay 3 picks to pay "value" if they're any good, it will sadly become an onerous waste of time.

Multiple picks for an unproven kid is too much of a risk. We'll end up passing on more and more of them until we just end up paying to develop players for other clubs.

The more players that are drafted from NSW the better off we will become. (I love it that Beams has returned to Queensland). The Academy will also help build the Swans brand in NSW and our sponsors get value from that. It is in the interests of the Swans to continue with the Academy even if the draft concessions are removed but not yet. I would be Ok with those concesssions being removed when 4 of the first 18 draft picks are from NSW and Queensland. That's probably 10 years away.

I'm thinking this draft ban is not just payback for Tippett and Buddy in consecutive years but also Heeney, Mills and Dunkley in consecutive years.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Good on Healy for pushing it again.

Frawley hey?

Now at Hawthorn.

Newbold........Evans.........mmmm!

EQUALISATION!
Indeed.
It's just that the clubs that are well connected to head office are more equal than we are.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Good on Healy for pushing it again.

Frawley hey?

Now at Hawthorn.

Newbold........Evans.........mmmm!

EQUALISATION!
Indeed.
It's just that the clubs that are well connected to head office are more equal than we are.

Well at least it answers the question as to who was responsible for the decision. Shame the AFL puppets can't do anything without someone's hand up their back*

*-side

Tuco

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods

Glad Healy is still pissed off. That "bastardry" line was a classic.

Frawley? Healy has heard the AFL banned us because of rumours regarding Frawley?

It is now apparent that AFL policy makers jump at shadows cast by Big Footy posters :rolleyes:

The only place I saw Ryder and Frawley discussions were here. No real credence. Nothing in the media. Just wish thinking. And the Mills, Dunkley issue will be massive this year for the same reason - because we'll make it huge.

Careful what you wish for people. Big brother is watching.

Back