Traded Liam Jones to Carlton for pick 46

stefoid

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 8, 2002
home
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He's not a leadup player either. I cringed whenever he got the ball outside of scoring range because his kicking is shocking

Field kicking isnt great, but set shots are good. Plus his limited running ability makes him better suited to FF than up the ground. We needed a a FF and that was his best spot,but it just didnt work out.

Weiterbot23

Cancelled
Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer Sponsor 2016 Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer 2009 Player Sponsor
Oct 7, 2008
Yarraville
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
OKC
After seeing Rhys Stanley fetch pick 21 anything is possible. There's no bitterness that we lost him. There's slight annoyance we didn't get great compo for it though.

The champagne cork popping over securing a guy who couldn't get a game in our forwardline and the fapping over a three pronged Casboult, henderson and Jones forwardline is pretty funny though.

Casboult, Henderson and Jones

Vs

Boyd

+

The loss of your captain, pick 6, 6 million dollars and an entire list headed by bontempelli being disgruntled about a 9 gamers deal......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Odd argument to make. Sans Boyd crameri kicked more goals himself than casboult and jones combined last season. In fact those two combined kicked one more goal than jake stringer as well.

As for the disgruntled player argument, looks like the age got what they wanted. An article quoting an unnamed player agent suggesting the worst case scenario, and that is all the article does, has duped the less intelligent of its readership into thinking that is actually happening.

Weiterbot23

Cancelled
Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer Sponsor 2016 Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer 2009 Player Sponsor
Oct 7, 2008
Yarraville
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
OKC
Odd argument to make. Sans Boyd crameri kicked more goals himself than casboult and jones combined last season. In fact those two combined kicked one more goal than jake stringer as well.

As for the disgruntled player argument, looks like the age got what they wanted. An article quoting an unnamed player agent suggesting the worst case scenario, and that is all the article does, has duped the less intelligent of its readership into thinking that is actually happening.

-Henderson played half his time down back, with jaksch on board he should spend more time forward
-casboult spent half his time in the ruck and roaming along way from goal with good contested marking numbers,
With kreuzer back he should play more forward
-jones struggled for opportunity in the seniors, playing as a third tall he might fit better

All 3 are youngish, coming into their prime as tall targets. Not star studded by have the potential to get the job done.

I'd rather be in our shoes than yours, investing 10% of the salary cap in a bloke that's played 5 games at the cost of your captain and a top 10 pick is risky business.

-Henderson played half his time down back, with jaksch on board he should spend more time forward
-casboult spent half his time in the ruck and roaming along way from goal with good contested marking numbers,
-jones struggled for opportunity in the seniors, playing as a third tall he might fit better

All 3 are youngish, coming into their prime as tall targets. Not star studded by have the potential to get the job done.

I'd rather be in our shoes than yours, investing 10% of the salary cap in a bloke that's played 5 games at the cost of your captain and a top 10 pick is risky business.

Carlton = Dogs seconds.

Weiterbot23

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2008
Yarraville
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
OKC
Carlton = Dogs seconds.

You are paying a 9 gamer from another club 1 mil a year as well as half of griffens contract to play for another club!

Did your list manager goto vic uni?

And I'd rather have our current list than Carlton's.

When your blue chip recruits are a guy who couldn't get a game as a KPF at the Dogs and a couple of NEAFL players you know you are struggling.

Last edited:

Lots of excuses there.

Stringer spent a fair bit of time down back too. In fact it was only the last nine games where he was played almost exclusively as a forward, netting 22 goals in that period out of his 26. Casboult kicked 15 for the year, the same as Bontempelli who is 18 and played largely as a midfielder.

Putting things in perspective too now that Jones is a third tall. Against Melbourne this year Frawley (now Hawthorn's third tall defender) kept him to a single handpass. That was after Jones kicked 4 against Collingwood too so he was in form.

I sincerely hope all three are played in the same team

And I'd rather have our current list than Carlton's.

When your blue chip recruits are a guy who couldn't get a game as a KPF at the Dogs and a couple of NEAFL players you know you are struggling.

Still pining over Jones wanting out of your club..........along with Cooney.......and Tutt......and your captain......your captain, in Griffen.

Doesn't matter because Boyd will do everything and the kids.........always about the kids. Seems we were saying the same about Melbourne 2 years ago.

Jones will be ok for Carlton IMO. And the deal was slight unders for us, but in the scheme of things, is just a massive non issue.

Blues potshots at the Boyd deal are a little off though, considering they have around $800k a year invested in Casboult and jones. I know how id prefer to spend it.

Anyways, good luck to jones. He should improve with some better help up there and Carlton move the ball a lot better than we do as well which gives him more of a chance.

Still pining over Jones wanting out of your club..........along with Cooney.......and Tutt......and your captain......your captain, in Griffen.

Doesn't matter because Boyd will do everything and the kids.........always about the kids. Seems we were saying the same about Melbourne 2 years ago.

Cooney was happy to stay but he traded him. Griffen hurt but we made the best of that bad situation.

Jones and Tutt were VFL players for us.

800K a year for Casboult and Jones..................says who?

The talk of kids is always amusing when supporters of clubs start putting up every kids name that has played less than 40 games, as future superstars :)
Remember Blease...Tapscott...Watts...Cook...Scully...Trengove...and even Toumpas.

I'd wait until I saw what the coach (the one you haven't got) has in mind for the team.
Another Neeld or Watters and even the best kids will turn to mush.

Cooney was happy to stay but he traded him. Griffen hurt but we made the best of that bad situation.

Jones and Tutt were VFL players for us.

On the strength of what Jones and Tutt produced for The Dogs, they were VFL players.
Question will be answered as to what they produce in a different environment.

Mick is big on role players and not heroes. We'll see whether they have a role to play soon enough.

800K a year for Casboult and Jones..................says who?

The talk of kids is always amusing when supporters of clubs start putting up every kids name that has played less than 40 games, as future superstars :)
Remember Blease...Tapscott...Watts...Cook...Scully...Trengove...and even Toumpas.

I'd wait until I saw what the coach (the one you haven't got) has in mind for the team.
Another Neeld or Watters and even the best kids will turn to mush.
We're talking about the dogs and not melbourne aren't we? The club with the 22 year old and 19 year old that ran first and 2nd in the B&F? The club with the kid that was voted the best first year talent, by the players, by a record margin?? And you're comparing them to blease, watts and tapscott??? Dude. Seriously.

And that cash is around the mark for those 2. Bank it. Money well spent?? We'll see.

We're talking about the dogs and not melbourne aren't we? The club with the 22 year old and 19 year old that ran first and 2nd in the B&F? The club with the kid that was voted the best first year talent, by the players, by a record margin?? And you're comparing them to blease, watts and tapscott??? Dude. Seriously.

And that cash is around the mark for those 2. Bank it. Money well spent?? We'll see.

:) Welcome to Carlton Liam Jones.

Shouldn't it be welcome to the Bullants Liam Jones?

That's possible of course but just not Micks style.
We wouldn't recruit a 23 year old just to see how things work out. Malthouse has a definite plan for him.

Last year we brought in three players and all finished in the top 10 in the B&F.
Fingers crossed that Jones can follow the same path.............Carlton fingers at least :)

Carl

All Australian
Dec 26, 2000
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Jones will be ok for Carlton IMO. And the deal was slight unders for us, but in the scheme of things, is just a massive non issue.

Blues potshots at the Boyd deal are a little off though, considering they have around $800k a year invested in Casboult and jones. I know how id prefer to spend it.

Anyways, good luck to jones. He should improve with some better help up there and Carlton move the ball a lot better than we do as well which gives him more of a chance.
If we are paying them $800k a year then we must be over the cap. There would be about 20 other players getting paid more then them or on similar wage.

Back