Tribute: Gough Whitlam

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, this echoes my views very closely. Undoubtedly controversial and he wasn't perfect (but which PM was?), but also undoubtedly a massive influence on modern Australia. He did so much and they resonate today 40 years on. It's remarkable for a one-term PM.

He deserves every accolade.
One and a bit term PM, he won 2 elections.

Another thing referenced in the tributes today was the belief in urban Australia and looking to have policies in that area. Not the big central cities either.

One particular point was bringing sewage to the Shire and outer Sydney. Sometimes it is the simplest things that determine the person as a leader.

The light on the hill is so much dimmer today.:(:cry:

Our country has lost a truly great man.

Such a shame that those who feel the need to stick the boots in, both here and in the political spectrum, couldn't have done so in the 45 years previous since his sacking.

Doing so on the day of his death speaks volumes to your characters.:thumbsdown:

What I do remember on the day of his election, was my ultra, uber, neo-conservative family being gutted and furious at his win, and the black sheep of the family, (my Uncle), loving it and laughing at my old man.

Many punches were thrown and heavy blows landed. Nothing too unusual in my household.

Then I remember the "red scheme" he brought in which, from memory, was a rural work for the dole scheme, with many down on their luck farmers/graziers going into public facilities like schools etc and fixing sports equipment, or conducting basic repairs, in return for a welfare payment.

The anger, nay, the FURY, at Whitlam's policies was palpable, even to a 10 year old like me.

Yet I loved him, and saw first hand the tremendous changes he made to aboriginal people, and young people entering university from families who, in the past, would never have had that opportunity.

He wasn't perfect, not by a long shot, however Australia would be an immeasurably poorer, backward and less civil society without his time in power.

Vale.:(

What I do remember on the day of his election, was my ultra, uber, neo-conservative family being gutted and furious at his win, and the black sheep of the family, (my Uncle), loving it and laughing at my old man.

Many punches were thrown and heavy blows landed. Nothing too unusual in my household.

Then I remember the "red scheme" he brought in which, from memory, was a rural work for the dole scheme, with many down on their luck farmers/graziers going into public facilities like schools etc and fixing sports equipment, or conducting basic repairs, in return for a welfare payment.

The anger, nay, the FURY, at Whitlam's policies was palpable, even to a 10 year old like me.

Yet I loved him, and saw first hand the tremendous changes he made to aboriginal people, and young people entering university from families who, in the past, would never have had that opportunity.

He wasn't perfect, not by a long shot, however Australia would be an immeasurably poorer, backward and less civil society without his time in power.

Vale.:(
I spent the day and night of the 1972 election at my sister-in-law's wedding, in Kyabram. As the results came in, the function became a wake for the Country Party, seeing we were in the heart of 'Black' Jack McEwan's (Country Party Leader) electorate. It was very depressing for them, yet I was ecstatic. I left that maudlin occasion and went to the Kyabram pub, to celebrate with the orchard workers there. I had a much better night than nearly all of those who stayed at the wedding. The exception would have been the couple who married. My sister-in-law was a particularly handsome woman. Her husband was, understandably, very sexually active.

My teacher in Year 2 & 6 told us that she got married on the evening of the '75 election, and that the groom had to make a mad dash for a last-minute vote before rocking up to the ceremony.

He did so much and they resonate today 40 years on. It's remarkable for a one-term PM.

I tend to think his premiership was short because he did so much. Big changes mean rocking the boat and with them come side effects in the short term that are unpleasant to the electorate. I think you can choose to make several historic changes for long term benefit, or manage your political career for longevity; but not both.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I tend to think his premiership was short because he did so much. Big changes mean rocking the boat and with them come side effects in the short term that are unpleasant to the electorate. I think you can choose to make several historic changes for long term benefit, or manage your political career for longevity; but not both.

I share this view.

Totally agree. After 21 years in opposition he wasn't taking his time in office for granted. Arguably all those changes so quickly were a big part of the reason for economic problems. To be fair to him, he had a pretty ordinary cabinet behind him.

Regardless of his policies, he was still a former Prime Minister and I think it’s only fair he gets the same honors as any other former PM would. At least conservatives aren’t out in the streets dancing and popping champagne, or threatening to picket the funeral, like the left did when Margaret Thatcher died. Whitlam will rightly get the public send off that the left tried so hard to deny to her.

I was a baby when Gough was our PM, so was unaware of the reforms introduced under his tenure until reading about him years later when I first took an interest in politics. Was wowed by the political courage he displayed in leading the country through massive social change.

Remember this image sticking with me after reading the controversy surrounding Gough's visit to China, and meeting with leader Mao. My Dad recently told me people thought it was crazy at the time, afraid that Australia was breaking away from their American alliance. Turned out to be a wise move, and as Gough jokingly explained, he was "glad to be a pathfinder for Nixon:it makes things easier for him at home and for people all over the world".
mao7-620x349.jpg

Anyhow, great thread with great tributes to a leader who possessed a true social conscience. :thumbsu:

haha. Is this actually true? If so: respekt.

I liked that he bought Blue Poles and established a few new Unis. Thats about it.
Yep:

http://www.penguin.com.au/content/62283/extract

Home brewing was legalised in Australia under Prime Minister Gough Whitlam's Labor government in 1973 – in fact, the home-brew law was one of the very first among a raft of new legislation introduced by the highly reformist regime. Before that, it had been legal to make beer at home but only if it was around 1 per cent alcohol (in other words, gnat's bladder weak).

The exact wording of the new law introduced under Whitlam allows home brewers to make 22 litres of beer per week. Of course, that's more than enough for any individual to consume but, really, this is only a guideline and I don't know of anyone who has ever been prosecuted for making more than the allowable volume.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back