LCHF- Low Carb / High-Healthy Fat lifestyle.

Remove this Banner Ad

My meal would be pork belly, sauerkraut and some sweet potato fries.

At least she can advise people on all the different diets available cos by the look of her she's on 10 different diets daily!
Be like getting Business n finance advice from Tinkler!

I'm a special ed teacher and one of the subjects I teach is called Life Skills. A large component of it is Diet and Nutrition. Up to this year I have been teaching the food pyramid. I have changed tack this year and been teaching the paleo/LCHF diet. I've been getting a few queries and comments. But I just tell them that I can only teach what I have learnt from experience and that, having lost almost 20 kilos this year on LCHF, this is what for me works best.

I'm a special ed teacher and one of the subjects I teach is called Life Skills. A large component of it is Diet and Nutrition. Up to this year I have been teaching the food pyramid. I have changed tack this year and been teaching the paleo/LCHF diet. I've been getting a few queries and comments. But I just tell them that I can only teach what I have learnt from experience and that, having lost almost 20 kilos this year on LCHF, this is what for me works best.
Very brave, you're gonna get calls from parents at some stage if you haven't already, not to mention pressure from upstairs to teach the status quo??

Keep up the good stuff n stick to your guns, need more like you preaching better eating.
Firs some people it's like trying to explain the benefits of a triple hinge!

Notwithstanding the amazing health benefits that you and numerous others have received from this lifestyle, that's a quite alarming rationale. Especially to extremely impressionable young people.

Very brave, you're gonna get calls from parents at some stage if you haven't already, not to mention pressure from upstairs to teach the status quo??

I'm lucky in that there is no set curriculum for this subject so I can basically teach what I like, within reason. I haven't got any nasty calls from parents yet, so whether the students aren't telling their parents or the parents aren't caring I don't know but obviously not many have tried to implement it at home.

Notwithstanding the amazing health benefits that you and numerous others have received from this lifestyle, that's a quite alarming rationale. Especially to extremely impressionable young people.

What do you mean?

What do you mean?
Just because something worked for an overweight diabetic (not meaning it in a cruel way), it doesn't mean it's going to be most beneficial for children.
Personally, I think the LCFH/Paleo/whatever lifestyle is absolutely fantastic but I don't think teaching a child to limit the foods they can eat is necessarily a good thing. Especially impressionable children. Yes, teaching children to eat healthily is great, but they can still eat extremely well even with the intake of bread, pasta etc.

Just because something worked for an overweight diabetic (not meaning it in a cruel way), it doesn't mean it's going to be most beneficial for children.
Personally, I think the LCFH/Paleo/whatever lifestyle is absolutely fantastic but I don't think teaching a child to limit the foods they can eat is necessarily a good thing. Especially impressionable children. Yes, teaching children to eat healthily is great, but they can still eat extremely well even with the intake of bread, pasta etc.

Ok fair enough but I wouldn't say I teach it in isolation. I teach it as one view of nutrition. Students notice things about their teachers and I have received a lot of comments this year from my students about how much weight I have lost and they obviously want to know how.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: the topic - what's a good number of carbs to be mindful to limit yourself from having each day from trace element foods such as veg, full fat dairy etc. All these things still have a minute amount of carbs in them, but what do people consider as a marginal amount each day? I notice ablett mentioned in another thread something along the lines of 50g - if I interpreted the post correctly, but I try to limit so that i'm nowhere near that?

Melrose MCT oil. Any good?

Last edited:
Re: the topic - what's a good number of carbs to be mindful to limit yourself from having each day from trace element foods such as veg, full fat dairy etc. All these things still have a minute amount of carbs in them, but what do people consider as a marginal amount each day? I notice ablett mentioned in another thread something along the lines of 50g - if I interpreted the post correctly, but I try to limit so that i'm nowhere near that?
Never mind.. http://authoritynutrition.com/how-many-carbs-per-day-to-lose-weight/

I don't think i've been getting anywhere near 50g a day of carbs for the last 2-3 weeks. However i'm still not feeling any different, or any telltale signs of natural ketosis. :confused:

Never mind.. http://authoritynutrition.com/how-many-carbs-per-day-to-lose-weight/

I don't think i've been getting anywhere near 50g a day of carbs for the last 2-3 weeks. However i'm still not feeling any different, or any telltale signs of natural ketosis. :confused:
http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/ketosis-symptoms.html
  • Ketosis breath, which has a fruity odor, and the person in deep ketosis may feel a sort of slight burning in the nose and a slight smell of ammonia.

• Dry mouth, which is alleviated by drinking more water.

• A slight headache at first which goes away in a few days.

• In the first week of beginning a ketogenic diet, most people experience frequent urination followed by fatigue, as the kidneys release extraneous water stores. Minerals such as sodium, magnesium and potassium are also lost with excreted urine, and it is the mineral loss that causes the fatigue. This can be offset by eating more salt, drinking more fluids, and increasing the intake of magnesium and potassium containing foods. (Dairy foods and avocados are high in potassium, and you can drink broth for more sodium.)

• Ketone bodies become detectable in the urine. Ketone bodies are leftover fragment molecules created by the natural process of burning body fat for fuel. Diabetics and low carb dieters use a product called Ketostix to check for the presence of ketones in the urine, although each group does this for different reasons. If ketones are present, the stick turns purple.

• After several days of ketosis, there may be a sense of euphoria, or an experience of high energy.

• Very clear thinking, and a lack of "brain fog".
Urine (for me particularly in the morning) has quite a strong smell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back