List Mgmt. AFC - 2014 Drafting and Trading

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be more than happy to see the club grab a couple of depth players from the delisted free agent pile. I would be happy to see Mitch Brown get on our list. He offers good depth, can play back or forward and would really strengthen our SANFL team. I'd happily throw him to CHB in the SANFL team straight away.
I'm also happy to take a punt on Robinson. I know he is a tool, but he has one chance left and that is it. Stuff up and he is gone. If not and he gets it together, he would strengthen our squad overall.

It was obvious last year that we suffered in the SANFL because a lot of our players were too young to compete at that level. Factor in the lack of direction from Sando, the selfish play of the guys wanting to make a case for a game in the AFL and you have a team that doesn't perform well.
Walsh's team first mantra will be expected in the SANFL as well.

I know we don't exist to win SANFL games, but if we want to develop our young guys as best as possible, we need to build some strength around them. We will also have injuries in 2015 (every team does) and if you want to still be able to win games when that occurs, you need depth.

We do this and I DO NOT renew my membership.

O'Shea was also 20 years old at the end of 2012 and had played 22 games over his first 2 seasons at the club. In his first year in 2011 he played 18 games and then he had a horrible run with injuries in 2012 playing only 4. He should have been kept and was - finishing 8th in the best and fairest after playing all 22 games and 2 finals in 2013. He is worlds apart from the below:

Brodie Martin has just currently finished his 7th season on our list for a total of 35 career games. His best game remains a game from 2010 (almost 5 seasons ago). Everyone said give him a chance and a run of games to see what he can do. His 17th game of 2014 was just as good as his first game of 2014 - average. He has no real weapons other than he has a mature AFL footballers body and is courageous. He doesn't have any real strengths, nor does he have any major weaknesses. He is the actual definition of vanilla.

Makes ya wonder why clubs have lists longer than 25 players then, huh?

Love this attitude. You won't renew your membership if we recruit a player, for basically no money, as depth, who has played 100 AFL games, and likely will only get a game if injury happens?

Don't we have a waiting list for our membership now anyway? Somebody else will take it.

My only worry with Robinson is that he could be a negative influence on Betts.

Anyone ever read about the NBA theory of "just a guy"?

It was obvious last year that we suffered in the SANFL because a lot of our players were too young to compete at that level. Factor in the lack of direction from Sando, the selfish play of the guys wanting to make a case for a game in the AFL and you have a team that doesn't perform well.

You forgot to factor in the real reason: we have more restrictive SANFL list management rules than Port. Not a level playing field. We have to pick less experienced players from lower grades.

Last edited:
So you can prolong average players like Martin's worthless football career to an 8th season?
It's a pity Brodie lost a yard or two due to injury, as he was a stand out youngster. That said, he's remained on our list and done his job pretty well when required, despite his post injury limitations. I think you could look at the lists of every AFL club and find players like Martin. Role players who can come in and do a job.

There were times last season I felt others could have been selected ahead of him, but you can't hold that against the player, and I reckon he did everything asked of him when selected.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bootsma was dead to me the minute he grew that beard.

josh-bootsma-760x438.jpg

783687-b0544aba-eb84-11e3-bb45-046f3d36ad52.jpg

Ladhams was. Though essesndon wanted him to stay, and he walked out. Also Shane Ellen. A lot of our preseason picks were youngsters, a la Goodwin, vardy, Edwards, porps

That's a good policy young untried players needing a chance.

Gotta say, at some point you have to factor in age. Which is where your O'Shea and Martin example trips over

It wasn't meant to be a direct comparison. Just that every club has that guy that is said to be crap, yet he hangs on.

Said to "never play in the next premiership", yet holds his spot in Best-22 when finishing up the ladder.

Does Walsh reporting directly to Fagan mean that we aren't getting a list manager?

So Noble and Ogilvie will effectively manage our list, trading and drafting? Rather than Noble overseeing the whole football department.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-21/dockers-dump-simpson

TROUBLED youngster Josh Simpson has been delisted by Fremantle bringing to an end a turbulent two years in the AFL system for the first-round draft pick.
The 20-year-old was selected with pick No.17 in the 2012 NAB AFL draft but managed just two games in two seasons.

Anyone in the west see him play in the WAFL? I remember he looked good for SA as a junior before moving to WA with pace and a good leg.
Looks like he has had a few issues and maybe getting him back here under the wing of Eddie could help.
Could be worth a gamble with a rookie selecton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back